Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-04-14, 9:11am

Thanks Lynn! Do you ever have an issue with getting the streaks of yellow in yours?

Eric
Old 2006-04-14, 9:19am
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort
Thanks Lynn! Do you ever have an issue with getting the streaks of yellow in yours?

Eric
Not in the beads. I did a bit in a heart,but i was playing with shorts, so I'm not exactly sure of the colors i was using.

Here are beads

and here is the heart...it has some other stuff in it too. I think what i was using for yellow wasn't just yellow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-04-14, 9:31am

Oooh, nice color Lynn!

Eric
Old 2006-04-15, 4:29am
Old enough to know better

Thanks Eric. I do pull my DP down pretty thin, but probably get too much on. I'm having a problem with my disk beads popping off the bead release when I do the tweezer twist. The bead release doesn't break, but the bead isn't anchored either. Then I have to melt the whole thing in more, losing my nice disk shape.

I'm wondering if I'm annealing long enough. I just re-read my DP notes and see that he anneals at 1100 F for 4 hours. I'm only annealing for 2 hours. Perhaps that's the problem. And maybe that's why my earlier DP beads seemed better - I just recently started garaging at around 1000 F. Prior to that, I was garaging at annealing temps, so most of my beads were getting annealed much longer.

Lynn - at what temp and for how long are you annealing? Your colors are fantastic!

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-15, 7:43am
Back from the Dark Side

Thanks Tanya! I've been garaging about 1000-1050, annealing about 1000-1100 for 3-4 hours, with a 4-5 minute spike at 1150-1250. I don't have a digital pyrometer, and no programs, so a lot of it is hum a few bars and fake it

~
~
~
Old 2006-04-15, 7:51am
Old enough to know better

Thanks for the info. I guess it's time to start annealing longer. You don't have a digital pyrometer? You are dedicated!

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-15, 7:57am
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya
Thanks for the info. I guess it's time to start annealing longer. You don't have a digital pyrometer? You are dedicated!
*snort*

I figured i could check it every once and a while for the cost of the programable ones. You can buy a lot of glass for the price of the controller

~
~
~
Old 2006-04-15, 1:37pm
borobucaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Larson
*snort*

I figured i could check it every once and a while for the cost of the programable ones. You can buy a lot of glass for the price of the controller
The price of the controller is nothing compared to losing a days work due to a temp spike. I know I would not work with out a digital control. I get my colors the right color and I know how fast it is cooling down, no guess work.
Old 2006-04-15, 1:52pm
Back from the Dark Side

That's a very good point! I've been lucky enough to not have had it happen to me, which is probably why i didn't think of it.

~
~
~
Old 2006-04-23, 11:24am
"Olde" but "Newbe"

Default BEEN TRYIN' and TRYIN'!! NUBE NEEDS HELP!

Thanks for posting all this great info!! I SO LOVE BORO and for the life of me...haven't been able to produce any of this lovely stuff!! Anyone out there willing to take a chance and loan a stranger Doug's video? I'll send my "first born son" as collateral...come to think of it...you could just keep the kid....he's been nothing but a PIMA (Pain In My Ass) since he was 8!! (Now 25!!LOL)
Please PM me if you are willing to risk it!! I promise to "Pay it Forward!"
Thanks!!
Peggy