Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-04-11, 4:44pm

Default Does anyone use integra10 & barracuda for boro?

I'm in the process of building my garage-shop, and at first I was going to get a Phantom. I used to work on a Carlisle, but after trying a Phantom had no desire to own a CC Burner. I have been waiting for the Phantom for 2 months now, it is my understanding that nothing can be done (supply doesn't meet demand). I'm disappointed, but now I'm looking into the bethlehem barracuda w/a 4 stud kit. I have not worked on a barracuda, but I have used a pirhana for a few weeks and I did like it a lot. I already ordered the non-electric griffin pedal, will that still work with the barracuda 4 stud?

Also, I'm looking at the Integra 10, I've never had to pay for oxygen or lug around the tanks...I feel no reason to start now. Does anyone use this combination? I'm under the impression that it will work, but I'd feel more comfortable with the purchase if I know that it's been tried before.

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-12, 3:26pm

Okay, how about Onyx+ and a barracuda????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-12, 7:12pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticGlass
I'm in the process of building my garage-shop, and at first I was going to get a Phantom. I used to work on a Carlisle, but after trying a Phantom had no desire to own a CC Burner. I have been waiting for the Phantom for 2 months now, it is my understanding that nothing can be done (supply doesn't meet demand). I'm disappointed, but now I'm looking into the bethlehem barracuda w/a 4 stud kit. I have not worked on a barracuda, but I have used a pirhana for a few weeks and I did like it a lot. I already ordered the non-electric griffin pedal, will that still work with the barracuda 4 stud?

Also, I'm looking at the Integra 10, I've never had to pay for oxygen or lug around the tanks...I feel no reason to start now. Does anyone use this combination? I'm under the impression that it will work, but I'd feel more comfortable with the purchase if I know that it's been tried before.

Thanks in advance!

Whose list were you on? Phantoms are being made and have been going out.
Old 2006-04-13, 5:59am

Dichroic Alchemy and Sundance...I called DA everyday for 2 weeks (after being on the list for some time), then I called Sundance & talked to Tyler. I've called GTT myself a few times and was told that DA would have their torches in a few days, DA would say they are expecting them tomorrow or the day after. I stopped calling DA after I talked to Tyler, who told me he could have it there in a few days, yesterday he told me that they pushed it back to Apr 21.

Old 2006-04-14, 10:12pm
PyronamixK

Sundance isn't a direct distributor, so they would have to order one from a distributor. Any info they give out on dates and such would be third hand, at best. And, if for some reason their order fell through with whomever they were ordering from, then...

I know that DA just got their Mirages in; maybe those are the torches GTT said DA was getting in a few days. The main run of Phantoms was split. Some Phantoms have already gone out. DA will be getting theirs when the rest of the run is done. So, there are Phantoms that have just been shipped out and there are some that are still in production right now.

But anyway, back to your original question regarding the Integra 10...

Wally tested the Onyx+ and the Integra10. He preferred the Integra10 to the Onyx+. He liked it so much that he bought it. I now have it in my studio hooked up to the centerfire of my Phantom (prior to that, I had it hooked up to a Cheetah for a while, and then to a Lynx). It won't run the center fire and outerfire of the Phantom at the same time. It does run the centerfire to about 90% of its capacity. The Integra10 operates at about 9 psi. GTTs need a higher pressure (not higher volume) to push the oxygen and propane through its smaller tubes.

As far as how it runs the Barracuda, here is a thread on WC! that discusses it:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...racuda+Integra

Paulette says that it definitely will run the Barracuda and Andy gives good advice on how to set it for boro.
Old 2006-04-15, 5:57am

Kbinkster,
Thanks for all that info, I heard from Tyler yesterday and my phantom is on it's way to me!! I called DA to tell them they could take me off the list, although I entertained the idea of purchasing both (just in case). At this point, I am still considering a concentrator and supplementing with compressed oxy. The thing that's been on my mind day and night is the deposit for the tanks, it's $300 a tank + $22 to fill it + $15 delivery charge. If I'm supplementing the concentrator, I'd still need at least 2 tanks, if I just use compressed oxy, I'll need 4 tanks for sure.

Are you currently running 2 concentrators for your phantom or are you supplementing with compressed oxy?

Thanks for your help, I really, really appreciate it!

Old 2006-04-15, 12:12pm
PyronamixK

Right now, I am just running the center on the concentrator. After reading your post, I hooked up the outer to the concentrator to see what it would do. It ran the outer at about 50%. It would be plenty hot for soft glass, but not for boro. I think that an OG20 would run that outer fire a lot better, but not with the centerfire running, too.

Before I had a concentrator, I ran the whole torch on tanked oxy. I only needed two tanks - one to use and one for a back up. I y'd my studs together so I only used one tank at a time.

Have you checked around at other places for your oxygen? $300 deposit per tank sounds too high. I paid about $168 or so for a twenty year lease on both of my tanks. I know someone else who pays $3 per month for their tank rental. My fills run about $20 or so for a 280. That is a little on the high side, even, from what I hear some other guys pay (I've heard people paying around $15 for a 280).

I think that for making boro bead and pendants, you'll find that you use the centerfire by itself over 90% of the time. The concentrator supplemented by a tank is a good option.