Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-04-17, 8:30am
Old enough to know better

Default Shipping charges for tubing...OMG!

I quickly removed the tubing from a recent glass order when I saw the UPS ground charge of over $30. I noticed a similar amount on another vendor's site. I'm assuming this is because the tubing lengths are long. Surely you aren't all paying this much for shipping? Are you? If not, I would appreciate suggestions of vendors who will cut the tubing before shipping it. Thanks!

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-17, 8:39am
In search of her path....

The boxes some prepacked in full lengths. I am lucky enough that if I want tubing I can go and pick it up but others are not as lucky. But you may also find that cut tubes are worthless to you because you will get a lot less workability out of shorter tubes....you can always call your supplier and see if they will cut and repack them for you but you may have alot more breakage that way to...just something else to consider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2006-04-17, 9:08am
Satake Woman!

My tubing came in about 4' sections, so I completely understand the shipping cost. I don't think I'd want them shorter. This way I can pull a point in the center and have 2 very useable ends.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-04-17, 10:57am

I ordered about 70 lbs of rod, tubing, and frit from ABR Imagery. The stuff came in 5 feet lengths, but the shipping was only about 25 dollars. I thought that was pretty reasonable for the size and weight of the box.

Eric
Old 2006-04-17, 7:49pm
Retired to the flame

Yes shipping charges do add up. I ordered 3 cases of tubing a while back (around 170 lbs) and shipping was 130.00 (west coast to mid west) They have to over pack the glass, the shipper charges extra for over length packages,(over 5 ft) and some of the companies charge you for shipping supplies. I just figure in the extra cost as the price of living in this part of the country. There are suppliers closer, but there prices are still higher than total price I pay from the east or west coast. My glass always arrives in great shape, so it makes it a little easier to take the shipping cost.
Old 2006-04-18, 7:38am

Chris from Colored Sands (Lampworking Supplies) replied to my email question. Their problem is that to ship full length tubing UPS charges them for 70 lbs regardless of the actual weight (up to 70lbs, I'd assume.) $130? Wow. I guess that is a lot of glass, though. Have you tried Colored Sands? They're pretty near you. I haven't comparison shopped for tubing prices, though, so I don't know how they stack up. Fortunately for me, I can drive to Wale (a bit over an hour) if need be. That's where I get all the heavy or large stuff I have since I can pick it up myself. The only downfall is sales tax...

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-19, 7:14pm
boro color bender

Tecnolux always takes good care of folks. I've ordered a bunch of times from Joe. They are great guys to deal with.

Kristian is another guy I'd check with. Generations has a reputation for great customer service as well.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-04-20, 3:39am
Serenity Now!

Dude! It's great to see you in this room posting! Hope things are going along smoothly...
XOXO

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-04-20, 1:46pm

Thanks!

- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-23, 4:32pm

Default ups verses usps

don't think I'm much help here but figured i was here why not chime in, we have ups on our web site but if you buy a little glass and write please ship priority mail, we mail it that way for you and our tubes are 12-13", we sell just little quantities, Monique

"Well Behaved Woman Rarely Make history"
Old 2006-04-23, 8:08pm

Ebay may be able to help you out.
Old 2006-04-24, 5:58am

Thanks for all the suggestions. Monique - I'll keep you in mind since right now I really don't want large quantities of tubing.

- Samuel Butler, 1912