Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2007-09-30, 7:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead_bug View Post
Heidi, Some silks come off the bolt of fabric with pressed in wrinkles for effect. You can get the same look with any silk by simply making your ribbons a bit wider, cutting them from salvage to salvage and not ironing them after you rince all the extra dye out. We have found that when you cut them salvage to salvage they tend to ravel more than if you where to cut them with the salvage.

Thanks for this tip also! I am sure it will help today.
I bought about 4 1/2 yards. It was soiled and I asked for a discount. They gave me 50% off :- They didn't ask me why I took it anyway so I didn't have my nose .
I am going to be up to my eyeballs in ribbons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-09-30, 9:25am

Ok, don't hate me, but this works really well with velvet too. If you get a silk velvet, you can dye it the same way, and it looks very elegant. I'm SO hooked on dyeing silk and silk velvet that there are times when my studio looks like a mad scientist has been set loose!!!!

mini cc, tanked O2, propane and a diet coke
Old 2007-09-30, 1:27pm

GROAN!! Why did I read your post before I went to the fabric shop?? lol
Thanks for the tip!!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-10-07, 1:43pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Hey Dawn I would love to see a photo of the velvet ones if you have one. I may have to try some.

My kitchen lookes so much like a mad scientist lab latley it led my hubby to be more serious about me needing a sink in my studio. In the new house I will have a studio sink. He says he hates to come home to a craft blow up! I told him he knew before he married me that it would always look like that in my path.

Old 2007-10-07, 2:19pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Wow peeps!
I LOVE these pictures you're posting!
Since I love dyed silk ribbons, I had a crazy urge to
try out this, before I managed to slap myself back to
reality (what, ANOTHER hobby??? Oh no!!!).

I'll just have to enjoy the pictures you all post from afar .
I'd like to see some of you do some ribbons that fade in the
middle - like from orange on one side to yellow on the other
side - or blue on one side to green on the other.
That would be slick! You could even have it change color
in the center - blue/green/blue.

Keep posting pics!!!!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-10-07, 3:47pm

Don't worry I can bring some to the next meeting!

I will try to post a pic later.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-10-10, 7:17am
Kerry with a Y not I

HEEEELLLPPPP!!!

I ordered up all the goodies from Dharma to make some cords. I am using the 1/2in premade silk ribbon (I dont have a serger), the Jaquard Dyes. I used the dye straight to get bolder colors. I dyed each ribbon, squeeged out the dye, and let the ribbons dry over night. (Like the bottle says)

Then here is where I am running into trouble. I have tried a few different things so sorry if I get confusing...

First - I tried putting dried ribbons in a plastic bag and microwaving them for 2 mins. Then rinse them in icy water... then hot ironing them. I rinsed in the icy water until the water was clear (at least I thought) but there was dye all over my ironing board so I rinsed again, iron again... same. Rinsed again, iron again... same. Rinsed again, iron... I think it is set now.

Second attempt - rinsed ribbons and put in plastic bag dry, microwave two mins, rinsed in icy water, hot iron... dye all over iron board. Okay, now I add soap to the icy water and rinse until water in clear and bubble of soap are gone... iron... same... rinse, iron... same... rinse iron... I think it is set.

Third attempt - skip the microwave... rinsed dried ribbons in soapy icy water until clear and no bubbles, hot iron... dye everywhere, fingers orange... so I kept rinsing and ironing, rinsing ironing until there was no dye on the ironing board when I ironed it.

Is all the rinsing ironing rinsing ironing normal? Did I miss something? Am I not rinsing long enough? HELPPPPP!!! Spending 15-20 mins on one ribbon is not working for me. But if you say I need to be more patient and 20mins a ribbon is normal, then that is what I'll do.

Written by ME! ~ Available March 2010 from Interweave Press

&
&
Old 2007-10-10, 7:41am
Spoiled

I'm not using that same brand of dye but I microwave mine before they dry, then rinse straight from the mircowave, and then let dry. And I dry mine in the dryer so they dry faster. I iron all of mine and haven't had any bleeding of the color.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2007-10-10, 7:53am

The idea is to steam set the dye if they are dry no steam will happen. You need to put the strings into the bag after dying before drying. I have not used this type of dye so I have no idea of how much will rince out. I use hot water, the extra dye will wash away much quicker.

Here is what I do.

dye 2-3 ribbons at a time
microwave for 30 seconds to one minuet
dry by hanging up on rod
rinse till water runs clean, in warm to hot water
dry by hanging up on rod
iron

Last edited by Beadbug; 2008-02-13 at 12:34pm.
Old 2007-10-10, 8:03am
Kerry with a Y not I

Alrighty Tracy and Aimee. I'll see how that goes.

I'll wet the ribbon (since I have 25 already dyed and dried, next time it is dye to microwave)... microwave... let dry... hot water rinse... let dry... then iron

THANK YOU!!

&
&
Old 2007-10-10, 8:57am
Kerry with a Y not I

Okay... I got all the ribbons wet (hot water), took them by color 2-3 at a time and microwaved them for 1min in an air tight container. They were pretty close to dry when the came out, but I hung them anyway and let them air dry for about 30mins. I took 3 of them (all the same color) and plundged them is scolding hot water and rinsed them until the water was clear. I rinsed them for about 10 mins with really hot water (I feel like I am wasting lots of water). I set my iron to the hottest setting and steam pressed the damp rinsed ribbons. I know you said to let them dry but I am impatient. Just to see if they set, I took the dried, rinse, ironed, dried ribbons and put them in hot water again. DYE GALORE!!

I am thinking I need to call Dharma and see if I can return this dye. What do you think? I don't have a Hobby Lobby, but I have a JoAnn fabrics. Would they have the brand dye you are using?

&
&
Old 2007-10-10, 9:12am
Missing presumed fed

Maybe somebody at Dharma will have a suggestion on how to set the dye.

Someone who was talking about this earlier said she was using the Procion, which Dharma carries, so if you return the Jacquard you might be able to get the other dye from them.

I wish I had a practical suggestion, but when I've played with fabric dyeing, I had the same trouble with the dye not being colorfast.

You could try the stove-top steaming method, I guess. It's described on the Dharma website. I couldn't say if it would be any improvement over the microwaving, though.
Old 2007-10-10, 10:09am
Kerry with a Y not I

Okay, I talked to dharma. The kind of dyes I got, the Jacquard Silk Colors (Green Label) dye that I got needs to be set with a "stovetop silk steamer". She said something about steaming without having it come in contact with water. All a little too much for me and way over my head. So, she said what I really need (especially for this process) is ACID DYES. So I am gonna be waiting another week for the correct dyes. She was super helpful. Next time around I will be boiling in white vinegar. My stars it is so much more complicated then I thought!!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP ON HERE!!

&
&
Old 2007-10-10, 10:11am
Spoiled

It must be something with the dye because when I rinse mine, hardly any color comes out and I only have to rinse them for not even a minute.

Old 2007-10-10, 10:12am
Spoiled

Glad they were able to help you out.

Old 2007-10-10, 10:14am
Kerry with a Y not I

Yeah it is totally the wrong dye. It has to be the acid dye, unless you have a steamer thingy.

&
&
Old 2007-10-11, 11:21am
ChiWowWow Mom

Tracy,
Thanks for the tut....your ribbons are spectacular. I got rid of my serger years ago and am NOT going to start another craft project. Laugh...yeah right.

Was reading Aimee's question many posts back about adding texture to the silk using the broom handle technique. Got me to thinking...which is always a dangerous thing...

Could you serge the ribbon, then use the broom handle technique or something similiar to wrinkle the ribbon and then paint the dye on using a brush? Just wondering if it would give it an interesting look with the dye darker in some areas and lighter in others? It might not work... you would definitely have to use a light touch....and the dye may just soak thru the fabric. Like I said....just thinking...but NOT gonna try it. No New Projects !!! LAUGH
Old 2007-10-11, 12:50pm
Missing presumed fed

The homemade version of the stovetop steaming didn't sound too bad, if you weren't finicky about some color bleeding. Of course I haven't actually tried it. It sounds like you roll your fabric up in paper and put it in a pot with a vegetable steamer, and a dishtowel under the lid to catch any steam that condenses on the bottom of the lid. There are actual steamers that you can buy -- starting with one that sits on your stove, I think, and then going to self-contained units -- but I'm sure the Dharma site has directions for doing a small quantity in a regular pot. I think they even suggest a way to do it if you don't have a vegetable steamer. You might want to take a look, since you have all those ribbons that are already dyed.

Is it the Procion that you're getting? And are you going to do the microwave setting once you get it?
Old 2007-10-11, 1:59pm

Could you use your vegetable steamer?

I am having a little problem too and should let you know before you go and dye them again!
I used some Dylon violet dye and it kept bleeding. I set it with salt rinsed washed and washed and then set it with vinegar and it is still bleeding. I have washed all of them at least twice and still bleeding.
I am laying them on paper towels for a little bit to see if they have stopped bleeding but NOPE still magenta is coming off.

I also used the acid dyes from Dharma and the cotton does not take the dye the same. The cotton threads were really UGLY!! They pretty much stayed white. A coupkle of the colors were OK. I think a light mix of the olive and light mix of the dark gray were ok.

I am thinking of trying a couple of the fiber reactive dyes. Silk takes the dye differently than the cotton so have to be careful.
I spoke to Earnest today from Dharma and he said through trial and error you can use the fiber reactive dyes with cotton mixed with silk. Oranges, reds and yellow colors stay the closest. I would think that would mean a red red or and orange red but not one with blue in it etc... I guess chartreus on cotton is forest green on silk. Uh oh!

Dharma also has silk thread which I am going to try! Sheesh!!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2007-10-11, 3:03pm
beads....mmmm

For those of you having problems with setting the colors, try soaking the dyed ribbons in vinegar and water. About 1/4 cup to a gallon of water will do the trick. Soak the ribbons for about 15-30 minutes and then rinse.
Old 2007-10-12, 4:19am

These are the dyes I am using. Tumble Dye from S.E.I here is the link http://www.shopsei.com I like these best they come in a spray bottle and it's easy to get a nice effect. Often I use these without even getting my ribbon wet to get nice deep colors. I have also used Rit, Dylon, Coffee, Tea and Koolaid.... if it will turn my countertop colors I have tried it and have some nice results.All the work in these are in the dye process sewing them goes quite quickly.

With the tumble dye I have very little excess dye to rinse out. Some colors I have to rinse a bit more and others not at all. The venegar is a great answer to bleeding colors and should make quite a diffrence with the silk. I believe for cotton you should use salt instead of Vinegar.

I don't know anything about the dyes that Dharma sells but it sounds like if you are buying from her give her a call and ask what will work best for the fabric you are using. She has been great about answering everyones questions.

Cotton is totaly diffrent than silk. Remember silk is worm made and cotton is plant made. This will cause a totaly diffrent reaction to every dye.

I think the broom stick idea is a great one and you could get some very interesting affects. Someone should try it. After dying about 300 ribbons, my husband is tired of coming home from work and having ribbons hanging all over the kitchen. He says it looks like a mad science explosion. I am done dying for a while.

I did the show in Grand Rapids last weekend and did very well for the first time out. I sold winter white ones for 12 for $24. The dyed ones I sold for $5 bucks each or 6 for $25

Old 2007-10-12, 10:38am
Missing presumed fed

Here are the steaming directions from the Dharma Trading website. I haven't tried this. If anybody tries, let us know how it goes.

Stovetop steaming
Old 2007-10-13, 1:43pm

To texture the colour, try sprinkling with big salt crystals and letting it dry. It gives lovely mottled effects. By the way, I'm using silk paint I had already, the stuff that you dry then iron to set, not sure it would work with some of the other dyes?

Old 2007-10-14, 10:02am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I finally got the silk and dye.. Yay!! My question is, how to you finish the ends? Do people just tie them off or is there a way to end cap them and put a clasp on the end?
Old 2007-10-14, 10:10am
"Sinners have soul too"

Okay, you all talked me into it... I tried to resist, I really did.

Can't wait to get my stuff... will post some pics when I get some done.

Meganbushfl: I was wondering the same thing. I thought maybe using some "fray check" would do the trick. Probably after the dying process is done, since the "fray check" would probably act as a resist.

Old 2007-10-14, 10:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganbushfl View Post
I finally got the silk and dye.. Yay!! My question is, how to you finish the ends? Do people just tie them off or is there a way to end cap them and put a clasp on the end?
Look for suede or thong end crimps.

Old 2007-10-14, 10:11am

There are tons of ways to finish your silk strings here are a few.

I find having the ends tapered and using a dental threader helps to thread them into large holed beads and crimp ends.

Old 2007-10-14, 10:14am
"Sinners have soul too"

Oooo, cool! Thanks for posting the pic, those are great ideas.

I should have mentioned that I was thinking of using the "fray check" just to keep the ends from fraying and then I was going to tie them off.

I like the idea of a more professional finish like what you've posted though. Much nicer than I what I was thinking of doing

Old 2007-10-14, 10:24am

Yes, definitely after dyeing for Fraycheck.

Old 2007-10-14, 10:30am
"Sinners have soul too"

Thanks! I figured as much...
Oh, I'm so glad I paid a little extra for faster shipping! Thanks you guys.

Hee hee, just what I needed, another hobby!