Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-03-21, 4:35pm
sunscreen me baby

Default 101 beginner questions!

I finally spent some time playing with boro. Of course it was only going to be one day... but I couldn't resist playing again today after I saw all those pretty little test beads. And now I have 101 questions!

Are all the colors wysiwyg before they go into the kiln or am I going to have to learn which ones do cool things while I'm sleeping?

Will I be able to reduce a color and know if it is a good thing before I put it in the kiln?

Do I need to buy a lot more mandrels? lol

What bead release do you recommend? My BOM was flaking after I messed with the bead a bit.

I'm sure I'll be back with more, thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-03-21, 4:47pm
The Venerable Bead

see answers below

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I finally spent some time playing with boro. Of course it was only going to be one day... but I couldn't resist playing again today after I saw all those pretty little test beads. And now I have 101 questions!

Are all the colors wysiwyg before they go into the kiln or am I going to have to learn which ones do cool things while I'm sleeping? you will need to do lots of experiments with the reactive colors to see what different results you get by doing different things. most of the reactive colors look very different in rod form

Will I be able to reduce a color and know if it is a good thing before I put it in the kiln? sometimes, sorry but that's a tough question. sometimes you will want a metallic reduced look but most often you want to use a very highly oxygenated flame to get good color

Do I need to buy a lot more mandrels? lol yes

What bead release do you recommend? My BOM was flaking after I messed with the bead a bit. foster fire 40% plus fusion 60% or many boro peeps use sludge plus

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-03-21, 4:48pm
The Venerable Bead

by the way welcome to the dark side!

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-03-21, 5:04pm
sunscreen me baby

he he, I really didn't expect to like it this much.

~

Old 2007-03-21, 6:07pm

Ooooh it's addictive!

I found a good bead release with Fosterfire and Sludge Plus mixed equally.
And I think you will want 3/32 or 1/8 inch mandrels instead of 1/16th to start.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-21, 7:11pm
Serenity Now!

Enjoy!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-03-21, 7:38pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

This will be the best thing you ever did for yourself. Very frustrating, but when it works, the results are fantastic.

Take lot of notes of what you do before and after it goes in the kiln.

#K58
Old 2007-03-21, 7:40pm
Dangerous Woman

As a boro newbie myself I highly recommend sludge plus.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-03-21, 7:53pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

definitely don't use your 1/16th mandrels!!! sometimes I don't stuff them up but 4 out of 5 times I do!
Old 2007-03-22, 5:21am
Does it come in Purple???

I use 1/16th mandrels all the time. I have only melted 2 in a year

You just have to be very careful!!!

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2007-03-22, 7:48am

sludge is great, maybe someone tried the new fosterfire? if you buy wysiwg colors they they come out as go in, anything else will change. with time you will know what does what. take notes for now. just play with rods without making something, do oxy flame, do reducing flame, neutral, different combos see how it effects it for yourself. all manufacturers list how to work the colors so when you get them look it up on their websites. they all also have recc. striking etc. a great tool for learning how to work color and what happens with flame is to get the glass alchemy self paced project kit:
http://www.glassalchemyarts.com/cata...mple-sets.html
i generally start with sample sets from a manufacturer, love them actually, i now get full length rods then from there i can reorder what i like.
i use a lot of momka for crayon colors, her glass is great nice red and greens , i like their working properties better than other companies for those colors just work in cool flame, northstar white is good, all whites suk really this just suks the least at the moment of my last batch anyway, precision jet black holds color in stringer and works well in flame. i love glass alchemy amazon series, warm yellow, purple luster. trans red try elvis, vaporglass has it, good sales usually too erik is great cust service too and an excellent artist.
have fun, come and play to experiment any time
ro
Old 2007-03-22, 11:47am

Suzy Q I am sorry that you missed Henry's class a few weeks ago. He has taught so many of the current boro teachers and he taugh us so much! Try to get into Roger Parramore's class in May if you can. I just opened registration. It's so much easier to see how things are done in person. Especially the things these guys do with torch flames.. I've never seen a soft glass teacher come up with the flames that Henry did.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-24, 6:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post

What bead release do you recommend? My BOM was flaking after I messed with the bead a bit.

I have used Foster Fire quite successfully. But have found that cooling and reheating constantly to strike colors or design, actually weakens your bead release each time and makes it more susceptable(sp) to flaking..... no matter what bead release I use...

Have fun with your boro endeavors. Each maker of boro glass has their own characteristics. Explore them all and find what suits you. Of course, I use mostly Momka's but even she, tells me to explore others. She doesn't make all that some other companies do and that option provides me with a greater pallet to work with.... And LOTS of CLEAR is a must..

Old 2007-03-26, 1:45am
Nah, not really...;)

Kay once said: "Clear is a girl's best friend".

Oh, and I use Dip N Go Sludge, it works for me.

Old 2007-03-26, 5:26am

LOL. You have never forgotten that, have you.

Old 2007-03-26, 7:51pm
Missing presumed fed

Be careful to keep your flame on the glass and not on the mandrel. It's not only better for your bead release, it will keep you from burning through the mandrels. When you see your mandrel glowing orange, get it the heck out of the flame -- or at least make sure it's pointed away from you, because the end may be about to drop off!

Glass Alchemy and Northstar have lots of info on their websites about their colors. It's no substitute for experience, but well worth reading. You may have to poke around a little on the sites to find it.
Old 2007-03-30, 10:28am

What Emily said. Your bead release will only flake if you keep hitting it with the flame.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !