No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-23, 10:56am
...as in.. acoustic

Angry Glass Splinters! OUCH!!

Okay - so I was being careless and got a particularly aggravating glass splinter in my thumb. It is so tiny. I mean microscopic. It's been there for a couple weeks now, and usually by now I would've been able to work it out (yes, I've been careless a couple times)

I have tried everything. I mean everything. I even busted out the duct tape (and yes- that has worked in the past when all else failed). But this little bugger's not letting go. He has totally fallen in love and he refuses to get out of my life. I've tried to break off the relationship peacefully, but he just doesn't get that "no" means "NO."

If anyone out there has ever had glass splinters like this - what do YOU do to get rid of 'em? Have any secret tricks to getting them out? Or am I the only one stupid enough to slide my hand across my workbench...

And please, if you're just going to say "go to the doctor," there's no need to reply.

I thank you for any and all advice you can give.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-09-23, 11:22am

I dig them out with a needle and tweezers. May not be the best way but works for me. I do the same think when my husband comes home with metal splinters. Sometimes he has to weld on the job and he gets them stuck in pretty deep
Old 2009-09-23, 11:33am

Ouch Manda,
I use duck tape more often than I like to admit.
Best wishes for digging with a needle and tweezers My husband offered to help too.
Marieann
Old 2009-09-23, 11:33am
MacGalver

It's probably already too late for this first bit of advice, but I've read to never squeeze or poke at a glass splinter, it can cause it splinter further!

Beyond that, I'd try to soften the area around the splinter with some type of "drawing" agent to bring the splinter to the surface. A nice long soak (an hour or more) in warm castor oil, hydrogen peroxide or a baking soda paste. If you don't have any of these, you can just use warm soapy water. If it still doesn't come out, then liberally plaster the thumb with baking soda paste or caster oil and loosely wrap it up and leave it overnight. Once you get the splinter close to the surface, run the side (not the tip!) of a soapy needle over the area, moving in the opposite direction that the splinter went in, so you are kind of luring it out, rather than picking it out, if that makes any sense. Hope that helps!
Old 2009-09-23, 11:44am
Rose colored glasses…√

Remember the Elmer's Glue Game you played in the third grade? When you'd put the glue on your hand, wait for it to dry, and peel it off?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2009-09-23, 12:28pm
...as in.. acoustic

Ha ha! Chrissi you are so funny!

And THANK YOU, grrlartist for all that helpful info! I actually DO have some "Draw Out Salve" but I think it's from 1972, although the smell is rather potent, I assumed it prolly wouldn't work. But I always keep it... just in case, right? Ya, that makes sense...

I'm definitely gonna try some of those things. And it does make me feel better to know: 1) I'm not the only person who does this, and 2) I'm not the only person to use duct tape.

I think I might have to wait a couple days to get it going, because now I've jacked around with it so much it is absolutely deeper and prolly in a million pieces in there! the jerk.

Thanks everyone!

Old 2009-09-23, 12:38pm
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by akustik View Post
Okay - so I was being careless and got a particularly aggravating glass splinter in my thumb. It is so tiny. I mean microscopic. It's been there for a couple weeks now, and usually by now I would've been able to work it out (yes, I've been careless a couple times)

I have tried everything. I mean everything. I even busted out the duct tape (and yes- that has worked in the past when all else failed). But this little bugger's not letting go. He has totally fallen in love and he refuses to get out of my life. I've tried to break off the relationship peacefully, but he just doesn't get that "no" means "NO."

If anyone out there has ever had glass splinters like this - what do YOU do to get rid of 'em? Have any secret tricks to getting them out? Or am I the only one stupid enough to slide my hand across my workbench...

And please, if you're just going to say "go to the doctor," there's no need to reply.

I thank you for any and all advice you can give.
this has happened to me. it will not come out on its own, and i doubt any glue or tape will do it. what i have done will probably make you a bit ill, but what i have done is use toe nail clippers to remove a bit of my flesh in the area of the splinter. you remove the splinter by removing the material it is in. yes it hurts, but the hurt will end unlike what you have to look forward to leaving it in. sorry for the blunt advise, but it does work and has worked for me, many times.

Old 2009-09-23, 1:15pm

As strange as it might sound, a Raisin is good for sucking infection and slivers out. Because they are dehydraded, they absorb moisture. I've bandaged a raisin to both and have been successful in draining both pus and slivers.

iwannabead
Old 2009-09-23, 2:40pm

I keep small squares of Biore pore cleaning strips around for just this reason. Works occasionally.

Steve

Old 2009-09-23, 4:39pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWright View Post
I keep small squares of Biore pore cleaning strips around for just this reason. Works occasionally.

Steve
Good Idea!

I had a sliver of glass in my big toe for months, and it really hurt. I tried everything and finally dug deep enough with my awl to get a nice open area. I then kept putting nail polish on it until it built up a nice layer and peeled off the nail polish. It's amazing how something so tiny can hurt so much!
Old 2009-09-23, 6:11pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannabead View Post
As strange as it might sound, a Raisin is good for sucking infection and slivers out. Because they are dehydraded, they absorb moisture. I've bandaged a raisin to both and have been successful in draining both pus and slivers.

iwannabead
Do you cut the raisin or use it just so?

Mark you can not be an old fart! You are younger than me! And I'm not old!!!

Thanks for the duct tape tip I never heard of that. My splinters are usually in my feet. I have the very bad habit of walking around my work area bare foot.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-09-23, 6:23pm

I was going to suggest the duct tape routine...I was going to suggest the elmers glue routine. I was going to suggest NOT to poke and dig...etc.

I have NEVER (I know, lucky me) received a glass sliver in my hands. I have been careless however! I'm almost always sweep the floor after each torching session. Leave it to me to get that glass sliver in my foot when I just have my socks on looking for something else.

If its too small to get it the first time with tweezers I will switch to other methods.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2009-09-23, 7:47pm
...as in.. acoustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
what i have done is use toe nail clippers to remove a bit of my flesh in the area of the splinter. you remove the splinter by removing the material it is in. yes it hurts, but the hurt will end unlike what you have to look forward to leaving it in. sorry for the blunt advise, but it does work and has worked for me, many times.
Believe it or not- I've actually already tried this. I have some REALLY super sharp nail trimmers and used them this exact way!

Now I have a crater in my thumb with a sliver somewhere down beyond it. I swear I must've been pushing him down further and further with every cut. These clippers are so sharp, though - that I didn't even feel them cutting my skin! I felt it afterwards, of course, but I had really high hopes....

So far I've put : Elmer's glue, a small strip of duct tape, baking soda paste, and "Instant Fast Dry Top Coat" nail polish (YEEEEOWWWW!!!!)
I do NOT recommend that last one to anyone- you might as well be pouring hydrochloric acid into the hole.

Old 2009-09-23, 8:17pm
Dangerous Woman

I'd say try the raisin. What could it hurt?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-09-23, 9:16pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

you might want to just let a doctor dig it out...they can give you a local of lidocaine and dig away under a scope until that puppy is out.
Old 2009-09-24, 1:59am
Unmedicated since '62

i wander around with my finger in my mouth till it gets nice and wrinkly and i suck really hard!

maybe not the best solution but it usually works

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-09-24, 7:28am
Life is change. Love it

My DH shares my workshop and sometimes walks around with bare feet

To get the shards of glass out I use a super heavy duty magnifying glass with a strong light and a razor blade and dig around until I see something shine, then pull it out. I've had to go quite deep on occasion. You'd think he'd learn

Old 2009-09-24, 9:08am

Wow - I just learned a bunch from this thread. I hadn't heard of a lot of these ideas (esp. the raisin) - but I have to tell you all that while I have dug for a splinter w/a needle, as a Nurse Practitioner in my day job, listening to you all talking about razors and cutting holes in your skin makes my skin crawl... Hope you keep a good supply of Neosporin handy
Melody

Old 2009-09-24, 9:52am

I bought a snake bite suction kit from a local sporting store. It looks like a large yellow syringe with a small plastic cup at the end. It sucks hard enough to draw the splinter to the surface. Works every time for me. Good luck.
Old 2009-09-24, 3:30pm

I use the really dark dried up raisins and put them in a little water to get them soft and then bandage it up over the wound. My parents had some older friends who suggested this one time when I had a horrible infection in my thumb that antibodics weren't touching. It worked. It took about 5 raisins to get rid of it. I guess it is an old time cure. It also works really good when there is a little pus around the sliver.
Old 2009-09-27, 12:13pm

I'm sure you are "all better" by now, Manda. But for future reference, a bowl of hot-as-you-can-stand-it water with a heavy dose (1 cup) of Epsom Salts has never, ever faiiled me. If the object is buried, keep adding hot water and soak for at least 20 minutes, adding hot water each time the water cools off. The Epsom Salt softens and soaks the foreign object out. Sometimes with glass, it pulls it out into the water, and I don't have to do anything. If it's wood or metal (darker) it makes it so you can see where the object is, and many times the direction it went in. Pushing with the tweezers towards the "inner" side and directing it out the hole, will usually move the object out so you can grab the end with the tweezers.
Old 2009-09-27, 12:36pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

GOSH - thank you all for such good options. I haven't heard most of them!