Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-19, 6:21am
Who me?

Never mind....
Old 2011-07-19, 10:42am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I made a tool for this years ago that used a modified pair of pliers so that two opposing tungsten points came together to form the hole that you could then enlarge with a tungsten pick.

If you want to go to the trouble of making and selling any tool I see no reason not to. I often make my version of other tools but only sell them if they are very different from others out there.

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-07-19 at 10:45am.
Old 2011-07-19, 7:03pm
It's about having fun!

oh, trust me, this is different! It's not a normal tool I modified! I don't think anyone would usually have one of these in any form on their bench. It's pretty funny! But works so well!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-19, 7:06pm
Loving learning

Anna Gimp is a great program. Irfanview won't do nearly as many things, but what it does do it does very quickly & easily. (cropping, resizing are mostly what I use it for)
Old 2011-07-19, 7:14pm
It's about having fun!

Sorry, I don't mean to be smug, it was just some dumb luck that I happen to see something in front of me and have the right thought...maybe someone else did too! I don't know!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-19, 7:26pm
Astro Cat

sounds interesting. I use handy andy tungsten tweezers and/or just a tungsten pick. I like the handy andy pliers a lot.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my Scorpion!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-20, 7:22am
Oh my!

Um, not to be pushy or anything, but we're waiting. It seems that you even have product testers who are willing to pay for your product NOW. Sorry to be so pushy but I need this kind of tool. So what can we do to help?
Old 2011-07-20, 8:24am
tweetysweetie

The tutorial idea, showing how to make the tool, or the choice of buying a tool outright is a super idea...good luck with your endeavors.

Old 2011-07-20, 8:40am

I would definitely be interested!
Old 2011-07-20, 10:55am
Curmudgeon Engineering

jonibird,
I didn't think you were being smug, I thought you were excited about a discovery and the possibility of having "Your" tool out there for all to see and use. I guess I did not convey in my post how these things can get out of hand though. They have for me on several occasions. If you're ready for it I would love to see you produce a good new tool. We glass workers are tool junkies as you know! I am currently in the middle of a project that I estimated to take a week... 3 weeks ago. Life gets in the way! It will probably be a month or two untill I get the tools done. Any way, I thought I'd reassure you that I took no offence and understand your excitement. Good luck! and keep us posted.
PJH
Old 2011-07-20, 12:33pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Kudos to creative inventors!
Old 2011-07-20, 12:45pm
Never give up

I want to see pictures ASAP. I would love to buy a tool like that, maybe a tutorial. Thanks!!
Old 2011-07-20, 6:46pm
It's about having fun!

Thank cheng, and all, I don't mean to leave people hanging! I'm just recovering from a surgery, just gall bladder so I'm fine. But seems like I'm not getting much acomplished, just hanging on LE! lol! Some one ask about tools on another thread and it got me to remembering I have something really cool, I made it almost a year ago... I shouldn't have said anything if I wasn't prepared to do something! I have no experience to guide me to any conclusions..I like the idea of a tutorial or just making a bunch up and then selling them, once I sell one the jigs up and someone bigger and better will run with it, which I don't really care, but I'd hate to throw away an opportunity on the other hand..Sorry, I'll figure it out, I promise!!!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-20, 9:32pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

The tool business for the glass market is very limited unless you are already in some form of glass working supply thus have distribution channels. Personally I would never try to market a tool that anyone else is marketing as I am not profit oriented and I respect the others 'business'. I have found that if you wish to market a few, say up to 50 or so, you can do so without competition. If there is a very big profit margin in the design then someone will come along and market them professionally otherwise the market will remain yours. I think the people here on LE will respect your market as most do not have the time to manufacture a tool and then market it. If you are serious about selling your tool and or idea then explore having a local shop make them or the parts for you to assemble and then sell them yourself or explore the tutorial thing. If you talk to anyone about the tool make sure you get a written nondisclosure agreement. I have been bitten by that bug a few times. if you have other tool ideas and think you might get into that as a business (CG Beadrollers did it) then be very business like. If it is just a one time chance to make a few bucks and 'give back' then make a few to sell yourself and do the tutorial thing.
I hope I have helped you make an informed decision and good luck.
PJH
Old 2011-07-21, 6:21pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you for the advise! It is very helpful. We are going on a fishing trip tomorrow, I will have time to think on it!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-22, 8:43am
Crispy Critter

Joni, we're all a bunch of tool ho's, so please do offer them for sale.

Old 2011-07-24, 1:45pm

Staple puller?
Old 2011-07-26, 4:58pm
It's about having fun!

No, lol!
And I'm still thinking, eesh
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-30, 8:10am
It's about having fun!

Okay, after many discussions with whoever I could get advice from, I've decided to first throw this out to any formal tool makers out there. Maybe I'll start a thread.
If any formal tool maker is interested please let me know!

Otherwise those savy people tell me I will need to take the long way home and get a patent first before I do anything.

Sorry, I can see how this could be getting reallly annoying, it's just a complicated issue when it comes down to it..
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-07-30, 9:24am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Patents are very expensive and require an attourney in most cases. Do the math and research the market then calculate how many you might sell. A one tool business isn't going to make much profit in a very verticle market. Best bet is to make or have them made and flood the market all at once. No one else will pick up on them until you're out of it and by then the market demand is over. Several years ago I made 50 pendent molds. No one else made anything like them. I sold about 40 of them quickly. Made enough to cover materials and some of my time. gave some away to the bead club raffel. Have a couple left. Same story with the Bethleham torch manifolds I make. Luck.
PJH
Old 2011-07-30, 9:43am

hey joni - if you are thinking about a patent..get stuff down; size of the tool, material used, steps on how to use it - you already have the prototype. then have 2 people put their name and date as witness and mail it to yourself (for the post-date). that is a starting point. but yes it can take a lot of people-hours to get it through. my son has a tool for motorcycle maintenance that he wants to patent and has been gathering info.

sounds like it would be worth it. good luck.
(sure wish we could get a sneak peak)
Old 2011-07-30, 11:03am
Angie09

OK ... you didn't ask but here's my 2 cents. You are developing a tool for a VERY limited market and it sounds like it is a tool that each of us would only need ONE of (unlike Donna's beadrollers that have different styles and I now own about 30 of) soooooo the fact is you are not going to be selling thousands and thousands of these tools. And someone, if it is a good idea, is going to "copy" it any way even if it is patented. They will just change it even to bypass the law. I personally think a patent is over the top expense wise and will eat up any and all your profit. I just don't think you can quit your day job on one tool for a niche market. Again, just my opinion!
Old 2011-07-30, 1:58pm

Jump and make as much as you can.
go get all of them you can and start selling them.
people have already offered to buy without even knowing what they are.
I got all the handles for my brass paddles that I used to make at the dollor store 8 for $1.
they called it a wood carving set,I just pulled out the blades and drilled them.
hope it goes well for you,
G.
Old 2011-07-30, 2:33pm
It's about having fun!

This is all very good advise, I so appreciate the input! All input is helpful!!! Thanks so much! It all gives me something to consider!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-08-01, 5:56pm

I've heard somewhere that the patent office is years behind in processing patents. So you apply and then say "PATENT PENDING"

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2011-08-01, 8:22pm

Buy them all and sell them for $15 to $20 each!

Old 2011-08-03, 6:38am
It's about having fun!

I'm going to try and make a few this weekend just to get an idea of if it's doable to make several at a time. I wish it was nice outside so I could sit down with my coffee and really be motivated! I'm going to have to create a work area in my little studio. Hmmmm that will be interesting! I'm running out of room! Well, it will make or break the idea of making them and give me some direction, so that will be good! I do wish a professional tool maker would just go in with me on the idea, that would be the ultimate I've decided!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-08-04, 6:50am
It's about having fun!

So, I got the dremel out and made one last night. It took me an hour! If I had a drill press I bet it would take 5 minutes. hmmm well I do need a new head for the dremel, I'm sure that would help. Also, I was being very fusy trying to make sure it had a nice appearance. Now to test it and make sure it works as well as the first! It should!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2011-08-04, 9:26am

Default Keep me in mind

I would love to purchase one. I agree with making a bunch. Also a bit of advise, I was a purchasing and contract manager at Kodak for 29 years. It does take years......... to get a patent, $'s for the search, and lawyers. Unfortunetly for us in the United States this is a case where bigger is better. If any asserts against you they generally the bigger they are the can wait it out. You might want to check and see if there is any idea that is similar out there and apply.

Hope this helps
Old 2011-08-04, 4:53pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you Sue! I'm testing right now to see if it would be reasonable for me to make them myself... we will see if I can figure out an easier way, I don't think I could make many if it take an hour or so for each one..
Thank you! Joni

Tags
hole in glass, tool