Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-04, 6:20pm

Default Who would you take private lessons from

This question is for all of you who have been torching for awhile and taken classes or seen many of the good teachers out there. Some of you are probably some of those good teachers .

If you were going to take a day or a couple of days of private lessons, who do you think would offer the most well rounded and good info for the money? I've been making beads for ~1 1/2 years and want to hone some of my skills, have been thinking of trying some private lessons (have taken a number of "group" lessons) and am looking for some recommendations.

I'd really appreciate your advice,
Melody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-04, 7:10pm

Kimberly Affleck and Naos. I've already tried to convince Naos and she wasn't quite ready for the AZ heat yet!! LOL!!!

C'Mon you two!!!

It's a DRY heat!!!

~Triscia
Old 2009-07-04, 7:20pm
Life is change. Love it

I am taking a class from Anastasia at the end of this month and I am pumped!

Old 2009-07-04, 7:28pm
Wahwahbabypants

Carolyn you're coming to Ottawa!!!! If you're interested in a cup of coffee let me know

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-07-04, 8:34pm
Life is change. Love it

I would love to meet up with you. Maybe you could sneak in to Ana's class!

Old 2009-07-04, 8:35pm
Lavender Dawn

Kate Fowle would be my pick - I love her work.
Old 2009-07-04, 9:02pm

michael barley. kristina logan, kate fowe melaney
Old 2009-07-04, 9:13pm
Critter Mom

There are so many wonderful artists that I'd love to get a lesson with but right off the top of my head...Sharon Peters, Lucie Weir, Kate Fowle. Deb Crowley and Ofilia Cinta.

Last edited by Puddy Tat Glass; 2009-07-04 at 11:05pm.
Old 2009-07-04, 9:29pm
Eugene, Oregon

i had a private class with Jimmy Smirsich (sorry jimmy if i spelled your name wrong) and learned so much about heat and control. I love classes, I'm taking Melanie this fall in Eugene, i took that class last year and she is great with a group and worth every penny. I had to miss the class with Kristina Logan, I would have loved that. I would love a personal class with Corina, i am looking forward to her next book. It should be a good one. i think that i would love to take a private class with Leah Fairbanks I hope to run into her somewhere.

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2009-07-04, 9:30pm

Loren Stump!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-07-04, 10:26pm
Eugene, Oregon

Loren would be GREAT, wow i need to save in my piggy bank

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2009-07-05, 9:06am
Formerly FishBulb

Dustin Tabor, Ayako Hattori (sorry if I spelled that wrong), Anouk, the guy on here who makes the most amazing bugs (can't recall his name!), Bronwyn Heilman.... there are many people who I'd love to take personal classes from, but I can only come up with a few names right now.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-07-05, 9:14am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Cynthia Tilker. She is an excellent teacher and her beads are incredible. I have been her TA for several classes, and at the end of each class, many of her students have said her class was the most informational of any classes they had taken. You would not be disappointed!

I'd also really like to take a Loren Stump class. Saving my pennies!

Old 2009-07-05, 9:27am

A couple days spent with Michael Barley/Andrea Guarino in Washington. I've taken a Michael Barley class at Arrow Springs already, but I know the master has more he can teach me.

Vanessa
Old 2009-07-05, 9:36am

All of the names here are great teachers. I know man of them personally and have taken classes with many of them. I mentioned Loren because goes beyond the bead and teaches GLASS. You can take just one thing from his class and build a series of beads around it and they will probably be unique. For instance if you learn murrini from him and pursue that you will always be unique.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2009-07-08 at 2:11pm.
Old 2009-07-05, 9:41am

Kim Osibin. She has a beautiful studio and teaches private lessons in Sacramento. I have taken several of her classes and she shares so much! You will learn enough to keep you busy for years. She is truly a glass master.

Old 2009-07-05, 10:12am

I would love to take a Kim class!!! She is such a sweetie and her beads are fabulous! She should also teach a class on how to make her awesome necklaces. I am in awe of her talents.

Old 2009-07-05, 10:33am
too many rods in the fire

Wow - there are so many classes I hope to take in the future! Loren Stump, Kim Osibin, Sharon Peters, Trey Cornette to name a few off the top of my list...

And yes, Cynthia Tilker's class IS amazing (and Kelly is an awesome TA!). I had the pleasure of taking Cynthia's class at wow, did I learn tons! And made the biggest honkin' beads I've ever made before, too! Cynthia doesn't "do" little!!!!

Old 2009-07-05, 10:51am

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Some I have taken in group classes (Michael Barley, Trey Cornette, Corina and Deb Crowley) and have thought of checking into private lessons w/them. But there are so many that i don't know and that's the reason for the question. You've given me lots to consider - wish I could take from them all but my budget won't go that far (LOL).
Melody

Old 2009-07-05, 11:18am
Ad astra per aspera

Kate and Jim are excellent teachers. Tom and Sage Holland are way up there, too.

My wishlist includes Tink, Deb Crowley, Dustin Tabor and Michael Barley.

I'm taking a class with Melanie Moertel in August and cannot wait!!!!

Old 2009-07-05, 12:27pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
I would love to take a Kim class!!! She is such a sweetie and her beads are fabulous! She should also teach a class on how to make her awesome necklaces. I am in awe of her talents.
I wanted to rip that necklace off her neck. I think that was the most awesome-ist necklace I have ever seen.

Old 2009-07-05, 12:28pm

Were you there? At AS for the sale? Kim was wearing a crazy cool necklace. She took it off for us to hold and I'm sure it weighed over a pound.

Last edited by glasshouse; 2009-07-05 at 12:30pm.
Old 2009-07-05, 12:29pm

Oh, PS I would love to take a class with YOU!!! I love your beads! They are positively juicy and delicious!

Old 2009-07-05, 12:34pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Were you there? At AS for the sale? Kim was wearing a crazy cool necklace. She took it off for us to hold and I'm sure it weighed over a pound.
I went to that dinner after Cynthia's class....6 months ago? Kim had on the necklace with the big river rock beads. I still think about that necklace. I kept staring at it from the other end of the table at dinner. She probably thought I had feelings for her. I didn't go to the AS bizarre last month.

Quote:
Oh, PS I would love to take a class with YOU!!! I love your beads! They are positively juicy and delicious!
Thanks....that's such a nice compliment!

Old 2009-07-05, 12:40pm

I think it was either that necklace or one similar, all tapered oval beads that were just amazing. I traded her for a bead that was similar. I was flabbergasted that she wanted to trade for one of my beads. I hope she starts teaching at Arrow Springs again.

We missed you at the bazaar. There were a couple people hoping you would show, including myself. You should come around more. The Sacramento area group is a really fun group. If I didn't live 2 hours away, I'd be spending a lot more time with those gals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I went to that dinner after Cynthia's class....6 months ago? Kim had on the necklace with the big river rock beads. I still think about that necklace. I kept staring at it from the other end of the table at dinner. She probably thought I had feelings for her. I didn't go to the AS bizarre last month.

Thanks....that's such a nice compliment!
You're welcome!

Sorry to trainwreck the thread with the love fest. I couldn't help myself.

Old 2009-07-05, 12:58pm
Storm Queen

I like calling it the Bead Bizarre better. I should go to meetings and stuff more often but the drive is almost an hour and it's sucky.

Old 2009-07-05, 5:41pm
Lover of all things color

At this point anyone....LOL Haven't had any classes much less a private one. Don't really travel so that's out. Hmmmm, maybe Brent, he isn't too far away and looks like fun.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-07-05, 7:44pm
Sucks at being nice

Patti Walton, Sherry Belamy, Leah Fairbanks, Loren Stump... How I wish I had enough money for just one of them!

Old 2009-07-06, 8:49am

Carolyn where are you taking Anastasia's class? Her work is awsome. Way to advanced for me, but just to watch her work would be exciting to me.
Old 2009-07-06, 10:42am

I would take classes from:

Trey cornette
loren
anastasia (love to learn the implosions on her beads)

those are just a few!!

I benefitted the most with Jim smircich and his heat control and shaping. I also benefitted the most with kristina logan for her beautiful dot placement, she is lovely! Corina was great! she does not sugar coat things, she really gets in there and tells you what you need to do and what you are not doing. she will grab your hands and work your stringer with you to get the feel. I am really looking forward to her new book! All of the classes i have taken have left me with something that i use so they are all great in their own ways, i am happy to have shared time with them at the torch!! Oh, jennifer geldard is great, she is so down to earth and she is just great at letting you feel like, "hey, it is ok if you mess up, keep going, it is a journey"!! Anyone loving organic should take a class from her right away!!!
steph