Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2012-02-20, 11:57am

Default Juba Glass New Website!

Hello all,
I just thought I would let everyone know I have officially launched my new website over the weekend! Here it is. www.jubaglass.com
Feedback and constructive criticism would be appreciated.
Thanks~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-20, 12:04pm
Never give up

Nice site. I think you should put the size of the bead or item on the site. Unless I missed it. Other then that I think its a pretty and well made site. Good luck.
Old 2012-02-20, 12:21pm

Kim,
Thanks! Bead sizes are are in the description below the pictures. Though maybe I should make it more obvious... Thanks for the feedback
~

Old 2012-03-04, 2:25pm
They see me rollin'...

I like it! Your slideshow is cool. I like the dark background because it makes the bead photos pop.

-Patti

-Patti
Old 2012-03-05, 9:27am
I'm a lilac!

It looks great!

Old 2012-04-26, 9:31pm
Marble Lover

A couple quick notes:

- The border around the Shopping Cart widget at the top could use some work. In Chrome and IE, I see the left and right borders. In FFox, I can see a top border, too. That may just be my machine because I can tell FFox is not rendering the background image gradiant the same as the other 2. If the goal is to only see the left and right border, you should remove the styles for the top and bottoms. If the idea is to make a 3D looking border all around, then change the colors some. The class name in the CSS is "heading".

- In general, the site is pretty polished - good job. The text in the banner image with the logo could use some smoothing/anti-aliasing. Quick example:

This modified logo on your site looks like:

vs. current:

The thickness of the black outline is off, but the idea of the smoothness is there.

In reality, I think your banner could use some sprucing up. You have a good looking site so you'll want an attractive banner/logo image to match. Nothing crazy, but something that catches the eye. Keep in mind this is just my opinion...

On a different note, what CMS are you using for your site?

Keep up the good work, you have some snazzy looking beads.

-BEPNewt
Old 2012-04-27, 6:25am
ManBearPig

I don't know. They look fine to me in all three browsers (I don't use/test in IE, so can't comment on that one).

As for the logo, I'm not a big fan of glows and such anyways, but I don't think it looks terrible.

Old 2012-04-27, 7:49am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I don't know. They look fine to me in all three browsers (I don't use/test in IE, so can't comment on that one).
Thanks for testing that, Cosmo.

The border showing up in Firefox is definitely something to do with my main PC at home. Here at work, it isn't happening. I don't run add-ons except for Firebug and I run that on both all my PCs, home and work, so that shouldn't be what's causing the BG image to be lighter in that browser on that PC. And it definitely is the browser messing it up, not a monitor issue, etc. Oddness.

The fact that my FFox is rendering the BG image wrong is good because it pointed out that there is a top border on that div that ( probably ) shouldn't be there. It's close enough in color to the background image as to be invisible so it is extraneous and should be removed unless it serves a function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
As for the logo, I'm not a big fan of glows and such anyways, but I don't think it looks terrible.
Totally agree on both fronts. I don't like glows and most effects that are easily available in typical image programs. And I also agree it doesn't look terrible. I do, however, think the banner with the logo look less polished than the rest of the site. Unfortunately, my talents lie in development, not graphics design, or I'd try to make something better ( in my opinion ) for him.

This forum space is chock FULL of people with great design talent and artistic vision based off of the finished work I see here. Maybe one of them can design a nice, classy banner for him that incorporates his name and logo. Any takers? I've already created a vectorized version of his logo in Illustrator that I can give someone if they decide to do this. Then again, Josh may not agree with me and not _want_ to change his banner, which is totally fine, of course.

-BEPNewt
Old 2012-05-25, 1:00am

Wow! Thanks a lot everyone. I took a break for about a month a I am now just seeing the recent responses to this thread.

bepnewt- I really appreciate the feedback. I agree the banner could use a little work. I quickly made that one when I was setting up the sight. There were so many other technical things I was working on I just needed something to put in place for the time being. Once the sight was mostly functional I just wanted to get back to melting glass. Coding makes my head spin...
The cms I am using is opencart I like it.. its free and relatively easy to use... lots of modules..It does have its hiccups... though that's just the way it is with open source sometimes... hmmm vectorized logo in illustrator eh

Cosmo- Thankyou for checking it out on your browser and taking the time to take screen shots and post them here. Yeah I am not crazy about the font or the glow for that matter. I tend to get hung up on details like that and forget about big picture. Maybe its the whole right brain left brain thing I dunno
Thanks Again!

Old 2012-07-11, 11:47am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by juba View Post
Wow! Thanks a lot everyone. I took a break for about a month a I am now just seeing the recent responses to this thread.
I was just on eBay looking at someone else's marbles and eBay had a couple suggestions of things to look at and one of them was a marble by seller "jubaglass" that I really liked. I knew I recognized the name, but couldn't place it - then it hit me that it was you.

Very nice job on the marbles. You should get pics of them on your web site!

-BEP
Old 2012-07-13, 2:41am

yea, this guy has got some really really original stuff. i won one of them on ebay!!
Old 2012-07-16, 1:08pm

and it came in today. juba, you are sick in the head my friend. in a good way. it shows in your work....talk about original!

i said this in the ebay comments....if you ever do a class or something i'll overnight myself to the pnw.
Old 2012-07-29, 5:55am

dude stop making such nice marbles. i can't stop bidding on them.