Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-07, 9:56pm

Default OK, I am ready to give up!!

Gaia...does it do anything special? If it does...how? Any one have sampled beads to give me some hope?

Thanks!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-02-07, 10:17pm
geekitude on two wheels

Working it in a slightly reducing atmosphere will make it milky green and other colors, and it'll reduce to a pretty irridescent blue/green in a very reducing flame. I'm sure it does more, too, but that's all I've had time to figure out so far.
Old 2008-02-07, 10:23pm
Life is change. Love it

I have tons of beads I could post, but it's bed time here! Pull stringer, decorate, then into a reduction flame. It should go a milky aqua iridescent colour, Try pulling silvered Gaia stringer, it takes a little longer to reduce, but you get all sorts of beautiful iridescence.

Old 2008-02-07, 10:24pm
geekitude on two wheels

You can see lots of examples if you search for gaia in this thread http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27555
Old 2008-02-07, 10:49pm
Formerly known as LT

Gaia is one one of my favorite greens! The top pic has a Gaia twistie, the bottome pic is a mix of double helix colors.

Old 2008-02-07, 11:16pm
Entropy increasing....

It does a more pastel blue and green.

This is Gaia and pale ivory.

Old 2008-02-07, 11:27pm

I love Gaia! These are Gaia over a pale green base with silvered ivory stringer scrolls. I don't know if you can see it, but they have an irridescent sheen to them, lots of pinks and blues. The little spacers are just Gaia. I use a pretty heavy reduction flame, and just flash them in and out until I get the color I want.

Old 2008-02-08, 12:47am
In search of her path....

These are gaia and kronos

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-02-08, 1:02am
Glass-aholic

reduce.... Reduce..... Repeat! Sometimes just working it in a slightly reduction flame the entire time is enough. I find it to be tempermental and have vairying degrees of intensity within a rod or batch. Encasing works well after heavy reduction. Silver gives it a boost too.

My fav: tape a clear stringer to the side of the rod, then reduce while you wind on and make your bead. This is especially cool with hollows!!!! You get psycidelic blue streaks too!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-08, 2:27am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
reduce.... Reduce..... Repeat! Sometimes just working it in a slightly reduction flame the entire time is enough. I find it to be tempermental and have vairying degrees of intensity within a rod or batch. Encasing works well after heavy reduction. Silver gives it a boost too.

My fav: tape a clear stringer to the side of the rod, then reduce while you wind on and make your bead. This is especially cool with hollows!!!! You get psycidelic blue streaks too!

I hope I remember to try this when I get my torch set up. The Lola Technique.
Old 2008-02-08, 5:24am
The 2 Michelle's

I reduced these...majorly reduced them!

Old 2008-02-08, 5:32am
More glass...more glass..

What works for me with most of the DH glass is to first create my bead in a neutral flame. Once you have your bead shaped and want to bring out the colors in the DH glass, turn make the flame slightly reducing so there is a small tongue of orange flame near the cone. Now bring the bead very close to the tip of the torch into the cone and rotate the bead making sure every part has been in the cone. The DH part simply has to be touched by the cone for a fraction of a second for the crystals to start forming so this is quick. BE CAREFUL not to touch the bead to the tip of the torch. After this, change the flame to a neutral or oxygen-rich flame and you can bring the colors out further.

Hope this helps,
edz

( Nothing available right now )

(Nothing available right now)
Old 2008-02-08, 8:00am

Thank you so much for your pointers...I was trying to use Gaia frit, but maybe I should try with rod...and maybe it sounds like I need to reduce more...I thought I did a lot.

Thanks for the pics...I have new inspiration !!

Back to the torch!!

Old 2008-02-08, 8:17am
CindyLynneGlass

I believe you need to send it to me for further examination it sounds like you have bad rods, yes thats it really bad rods!!!

Beautiful beadies everyone wowsers!!

Old 2008-02-08, 8:28am

Tell you what...if I don't get it to work...it is all yours .

Old 2008-02-08, 9:41am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2remember View Post
What works for me with most of the DH glass is to first create my bead in a neutral flame. Once you have your bead shaped and want to bring out the colors in the DH glass, turn make the flame slightly reducing so there is a small tongue of orange flame near the cone. Now bring the bead very close to the tip of the torch into the cone and rotate the bead making sure every part has been in the cone. The DH part simply has to be touched by the cone for a fraction of a second for the crystals to start forming so this is quick. BE CAREFUL not to touch the bead to the tip of the torch. After this, change the flame to a neutral or oxygen-rich flame and you can bring the colors out further.

Hope this helps,
edz
Ditto. Some of these reduction glasses I shove right in the cones. Some I wave higher up in a reduction flame. Gaia can be a pain and it usually gets shoved right in the cones.

Old 2008-02-08, 10:18am
Formerly known as LT

Try letting it cool a bit before you try to reduce it. You will get more consistant results if you make your bead in a neutral, let the glow fade then reduce. If the Gaia does not respond you are probably at the wrong temp. It is lovely glass and well worth learning!!!!!

Old 2008-02-08, 11:59am
Missing presumed fed

Huh. Gaia's my "easy" DH glass . . . it's the other ones that give me trouble (well, except for Nyx, which is easy, and Aion, which doesn't give me trouble -- it gives me NOTHING.)
Old 2008-02-08, 1:20pm
Life is change. Love it

Aion is just an expensive PITA. Mine's been gathering dust for ages.

Old 2008-02-08, 6:42pm

Gaia is the best! I love it. It just needs a touch of reduction flame to reduce into great irridescent sheens.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-02-08, 6:46pm

The trick I heard from Jed that I finally was able to get to work with the Aion is to use it on dark colors. The middle bead is on black and the end beads on Ink Blue. So, dark background, aion, reduce, encase in clear.
Attached Images

Old 2008-02-08, 6:48pm

Aion on ivory = poop
Attached Images

Old 2008-02-08, 8:29pm
Life is change. Love it

Thanks Lara. My problem has been Aion on everything=poop

Old 2008-02-08, 8:50pm
Storm Queen

Goodness...how can you call that poop? Anything other than the same old blue I call GORGEOUS! I'm sick of all the silver glasses turning blue which is why I love OR so much. That bead is really pretty Lara....I like it much better than the blue Aion beads you posted.....but then I'm a bit of a freak.

Old 2008-02-08, 9:31pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Thanks Lara. My problem has been Aion on everything=poop
Carolyn, I am surprised you have problem with Aion! You make all the silver glass sing! Try putting Aion on Dark Amethyst, reduce it slightly, then encase it!

Gaia is one of the easiest DH reducing silver glass - I usually make my bead in a neutral flame with Gaia, then just turn down the oxy and up the propane and swirl it 6 inches from the torch face until the iridescence shines. I find that putting it too close to the torch over reduce it but you can "erase" that by switching to oxydizing flame.

Aion needs just a bit of reduction and Gaia can take a lot.

Hope this helps!

(Sorry all the pix are at the office and I am home!)

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-09, 7:56pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Not poop! Looks like a wonderful crysallis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Aion on ivory = poop

Old 2008-02-10, 1:35am
No Attention,No Tools

Sometimes putting it to the side for a few day, reading the information, taking a few naps, can help also.

Enjoy The Beauty In Life…….