No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-18, 7:41am
The 2 Michelle's

Default concentrator or propane problem

Ugh! I went out to work today and I am having problems!

First my propane only flame is hovering a little past the tip of the torch. Like too much gas is coming out but I have everything set the same as always and my tank is half full.

Second my oxygen keeps blowing out the propane flame no matter what setting I put O2 on.

Third, when I can get the two lit without blowing them out one or the other, propane or O2, is flucuating greatly and when I say greatly I mean there is a huge change in my flame.

I have cleaned my torch head, I'm on a minor, and I have checked both the regulator on the propane and the display on the concentrator and there isn't a change in either when the flucuating happens.

Anyone have a suggestion??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-18, 10:48am
Surrounded by Trouble

Michelle you have some info in the above that doesn't make since to me.
It makes it difficult to trouble shoot.

First my propane only flame is hovering a little past the tip of the torch. Like too much gas is coming out but I have everything set the same as always and my tank is half full.

Do you mean too Little? instead?

Cause than your next statement would make perfect since.
Are you on Tank Oxygen or a concentrator?
Are you sure your propane tank is 1/2 full?
Sometimes you can get very dirty propane and it can cause build up in your hoses and torch.
Second my oxygen keeps blowing out the propane flame no matter what setting I put O2 on.

Most the time the oxygen will blow out the propane if your not getting enough propane in the first place.

It willl be easy to trouble shoot from there.

First thing I would check is your hoses. Make sure you don't have a leak anywhere. Especially a propane leak, spray down your hoses with a solution of soap and water, only takes a tiny bit of soap in a spray bottle if you have a leak it will bubble. If you don't have a leak, when is the last time you drained your hoses? You may have build up in your hoses. They put additives in propane so you can smell it when it leaks, it can easily cause clogs in your hoses. Bleed your lines well, take your hoses off, hang them over night Outside and let them drain.

Just my 2 cents worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-18, 11:58am
The 2 Michelle's

When you say drain the hoses what exactly is that? I always thought of it as bleeding the hose but am starting to gather that is two different things.

On the propane hovering, ummm...ok, there is about 1/2 an inch of no flame between the torch tip and the actual flame. I can see the gas coming out (wavy lines) but the flame doesnt go all the way down to the tip of the torch.

I have tried turning the propane down at the torch and up at the torch and all ways the O2 blows it out most times.

Old 2006-10-18, 11:58am
The 2 Michelle's

Oh....I finished reading your post and now know what you mean by draining!!

Old 2006-10-18, 9:24pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

[quote=Glass Allure]
On the propane hovering, ummm...ok, there is about 1/2 an inch of no flame between the torch tip and the actual flame. I can see the gas coming out (wavy lines) but the flame doesnt go all the way down to the tip of the torch.

When there is a gap between the torch tip and the flame, it's because there is too much propane. What do you have your regulator at the tank set at?

My next guess would be a crappy propane tank, it happens more than you would think. Have you tried to unscrew and reconnect the tank, sometimes that helps.

Keep us posted
Edie
Old 2006-10-19, 5:11am
The 2 Michelle's

I completely disconnected the propane last night and drained the hose overnight. I will reconnect this morning and see how it goes.

My propane is set at 6psi. It is the lowest I can go and still have flow.