TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-02-04, 6:59am

Default Creating the finished picture, any tutorials out there?

You know the ones I mean. The ones that look like a finished presentation. Not like mine, with a cropped bead on a background.

My guess isit is basic stuff for the computer/software savvy. I'm thinking about boarders and stuff, or the heavy feathering. Each time I try a general tutorial it has a bunch of stuff that isn't what I'm looking for.
Old 2007-02-04, 8:20am

You know, the only things you really need to take a great pic are a GOOD camera and lighting. You can try all the fancy software out there and all the tutorials you want but my personal experience is ... the more pixels you can get the better and nothing beats good lighting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-04, 11:55pm

I would be interested to know how the feathering and boarders are done as well! Fingers crossed you get some helpful replies

Old 2007-02-05, 3:30am
beads....mmmm

Hi,

It depends on the software you have, but usually the feathered effect can be found in the 'masks' section of the index in your software help file. If you let me know what software you are using, I may be able to give you actual instructions.

Best,
Deborah
Old 2007-02-05, 6:07am

Darlene, I have an ok camera and a tent. I've read the levels tutorials and things. I get nice enough pictures that I'd like to figure out where to go with them from here. I do think your post helps people to know where to start, info I left out of my original post. Thanks.

Deborah,
I need to get something to edit with for my new laptop. On the old desktop I had Photoshops elements and a Photoshop (of my kids that I never learned to use). I don't think I can justify Photoshop for the laptop just for things like borders, feathering and watermark type text. Any suggestions?

While I'm at it, I'm game for software suggestions for my webpage as well. I don't have anything for that on the laptop yet either. (Man I hate buying a new machine. Cool till the software purchase start piling up.)
Old 2007-02-05, 7:20am
The 2 Michelle's

Tanner Studios has a great thread going about taking and finishing pictures. Not sure if it is exactly what your looking for but it is very informative and he is very helpful.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11879

Old 2007-02-05, 8:51am

Nancy, an OK camera isn't going to give you what you want. I KNOW this because I just bought a 7 megapixel camera and it produces jaw dropping photos. I no longer have to tweak my pics in Photoshop Elements (which is what I highly recommend for anyone needing to do any kind of picture processing ... Photoshop itself is overkill unless you're a graphic design professional).

Here's an example from last year's 4 megapixel camera and doing what you're asking ... removing the background etc

now here's one taken with my new 7 mp camera with NO touchups whatsoever:

Yes, the first picture looks ok at first glance. But if you compare it closely to the other one you'll see that's it's just not as sharp. Plus the colors aren't quite right. In the second picture, the beads just POP. You can see a lot of detail that would have been lost had I been using my old camera.

You can spend lots of money on a software and then spend lots of time fussing with your pictures or you can spend a little now on a really good camera and save yourself a lot of time.

Also, following the advice in that other reference thread I ditched the light tent. Yes, there's hot spots on the beads but I really like the results I'm getting. I've fought with my pictures for 6 years. It wasn't until I got this new camera that I finally realized the problem wasn't me ... it was the equipment.

And you don't have to spend a bundle on a new camera. I got mine on ebay, it's a factory refurb, and I got a heck of a deal on it. Worth every single cent.

Old 2007-02-05, 9:59am
Covered in glitter

Nancy, can't you load the software into your new computer? I have a PC and a laptop and I used the same program for both.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-02-05, 10:22am

Wow those pic's are amazing! Damn that's clever!

Old 2007-02-05, 10:51am

thanks. Nothing anyone can't do if you're willing to spend the time doing it. (the first one).

You just need to select the background making sure you haven't gotten parts of any of the beads, REVERSE the selection, feather that selection then copy it and paste into a new document. Then add a drop shadow.

It's simple but time consuming especially if you have beads that are in the same general color area as the background. I've done all that and discovered I've taken "bites" out of the beads then had to go back and do it again. I like the finished look but it's only worth it if you're only doing one or two beads or sets. Any more than that I was at the computer more than I was the torch.

Since I'd rather makes beads than fuss with the pictures I finally caved and bought the better camera. I'm telling you, it's worth it. I have it set for the full 7 mp's and those pics are astounding! They're also BIG. But I can pare them down pretty quick and using PSE save them for the web which compresses them a LOT. You still see all the detail and the color though.

Old 2007-02-05, 11:02am
beads....mmmm

Nancy, if you remove the software from your old machine and load it on the laptop you will still be legal. Do you still have the disks and/or registration numbers?

Best,
Deborah
Old 2007-02-05, 12:42pm

Hmm, good questions. Problem is I'm also using the desktop but the colors aren't real clear on the monitor. I'll check to see if I kept the discs or registration numbers. (I just cleaned).

As for a new camera, that's not happening. First because I'm not that unhappy with my finished pictures, it is the presentation that I want to change. For example I sent a picture to Robin at Glass Diversions (like a year ago). She added a border and imposed the name of the frit (or something) and it was like ~wow! Even my daughter could hardly believe it was my bead. We could tell it was the same picture just tweeked/finished for presentation.

I know technically how to remove backgrounds, but usually grow old messing with it. Often I take pictures on a piece of old barn siding and just keep it in instead of dealing with all the times the software thinks I want to remove part of the bead along with the background. Again, this part doesn't really bug me, but I'd like to add some pizzazz.

I'll look into transferring the software after class tonight. Maybe I just need to keep working with it till I figure it out.