Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-04, 10:00pm

Default Made to Order

A woman bought a bead from me on Etsy. Now she wants 10 of the same bead. The original bead was $23. Should I collect payment up front? I mean, I'm sure she's very nice, she said she loved the bead and gave me good feedback, but...just wondering if I should play it safe, or trust the customer. I do have her address, since I sent her the original bead, so maybe I should just charge her afterwards. I'm leaning toward this, yes. But what do most people do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-04, 10:01pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Yep, I would collect payment up front.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-04, 10:06pm
I fart diamonds

50% minimum.

Old 2011-01-04, 10:49pm

Oh 50% is a good idea! Thanks!

Old 2011-01-04, 11:24pm
Critter Mom

Save yourself any worry...and possible future frustration by requiring 50% up front on custom orders. I'm speaking from experience.

Old 2011-01-04, 11:27pm
Alaska Boro

One could, as suggested, use 50% with no refund. However, that 50% down could be used to purchase other beads on your site if they cancel or default on the final payment.

That 50% could also be subject to a time limit - say one year with all amounts forfeited after that point. And you could add a no return clause on custom made products if desired.
Old 2011-01-05, 5:59am
sunscreen me baby

If it's a remake I get it all up front. You can always back down if she says she won't pay it, but I have never had that happen. I take orders for hundreds of certain beads and the $ amount can be quite high as well as the wait time. (well 3 weeks or so) Never a problem getting money first. *These are usually customers I gained from a previous Etsy purchase.

~

Old 2011-01-05, 6:14am
Hobby Junkie

I always ask for 50% up front if it is an item that I could resell if it falls through... 100% if it is an obscure item (like slug wedding cake toppers).

Old 2011-01-05, 7:29am
Run Free Sweet Boy

half down, non refundable, half on completion

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-01-05, 8:28am

Yup. 50% up front.
Old 2011-01-05, 8:52am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
half down, non refundable, half on completion
And do not ship ANYTHING until you have been paid in full.
Even the nicest people can disappear when it comes time to
pay you.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2011-01-06, 2:53am

Ok, she paid half today. I didn't think of saying it's nonrefundable, so I hope she doesn't flake out or anything. But she did pay this right away, so that's good. So far so good! And yes, I definitely will not ship anything until I am paid in full! I was a victim of a bad check. $180 worth of beads! It's the bank's fault, they told me the check had cleared, but then they wouldn't do anything about it when it turned out the check had not cleared. =(
Thanks!

Old 2011-01-06, 8:02am
Enabler

I always just set them up a reserve listing for the full purchase price, plus shipping and let them know the order won't be started until they've gone through checkout.

Never had a single person balk at that, and we do TONS of custom orders on Etsy.