LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-05-23, 10:51pm

Default Was this a good deal and general show setup info please

I found this on ebay and it was $54.99 and $54.00 for shipping. I've been told these are over that amount but not sure how much over....
I am planning (God willing) to do my first show in the fall and I have no idea what I need so I'm starting to get things little by little.
So for $110 including shipping...do you think this was worth it???
Also, can anyone give me advice on what I'll need. I figure a few tables, a banner, some kind of displays..etc but I'm totally lost on all of this.

Thanks
Irene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-23, 11:21pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

beautiful! Dunno if the price is right ( here in The Netherlands something like that would cost over 150 dollar...)
I would go for high side tables, and most important, lighting above the tables. Other then that I can't help you out since I don't do shows like you are planning to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-05-24, 4:48am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Hi...I am also in the market for one and what I have been finding on the German Ebay is "buy it now" for around 99 Euros ($133). There was one that was a crappy plastic - like a tarp, and it was 34 Euros ($45). I would prefer a water proofed fabric actually - about 3 meters by 3 meters minimum.

I don't think your price is bad, except don't you think the shipping is a bit steep? Not sure anymore with shipping costs in the States....although I know the USPS just had an increase. If it is material and not plastic, then I don't think the price is bad. Just my 2 cents...
Old 2007-05-24, 5:04am

Hey Irene,
Like Gail said if it is material and not plastic that is a good price. You see so many people charging higher shipping fees on E-bay to get around the percentage fees. I have a canopy with out the sides like that and I paid $110.00 for it at Lowes a couple years ago. What exactly are you planning on selling? Jewelry? Bead Pens? Beads? Key Chains? You want to set things up so that when a customer looks across at your booth they can see the nice sparklies shinning to draw their attention. So as many stand up displays as possible. If people can't glance and see something that catches their attention they will just walk on by. Let me know what you are planning on selling and I'll give you a good idea on some inexpesive display items.
Donna
Old 2007-05-24, 6:32am
The 2 Michelle's

Hey Irene,
I bought the exact same tent probably from the same ebayer. It is a very cheaply constructed tent so I want to give you a heads up on it. Be very careful with it when you are putting it up and taking it down and also when you are transporting it. Always make sure your legs are squared too. Ours snapped at the X joints. Now we do live on the coast of FL and it does get breezy but not so much so that our tent only last 2, yes only 2, shows. We weren't rough with our tent but I think that if you are extra careful with it you can get more uses than we did.

We finally invested in the $300 EZup and can see and feel the difference in the tents. Night and day. I hope you have better luck.

Old 2007-05-24, 12:31pm

I have an EZ Tent from Sam's.
It's not the most expensive but it works!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-05-24, 2:09pm

It's very pretty looking! I love it. hope it works out very well for you!

Old 2007-06-18, 3:14am

I got it and put it up. My gosh it's huge. Very easy and not made of plastic. After reading the posts, I was scared that it was. It' like a mesh material. I live in the desert and our winds could get rather high. I guess I have 4 months until I tell you how it held up. I'm just really excited to be able to do my first show and be allowed to torch.
Nothing brings in a crowd like someone playing with fire. And it helps them to see the time and effort it takes to make a "real" lampwork bead.
wish me luck.
Now I just need to make a banner and put togehther flyers.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Irene

Old 2007-06-18, 6:47am

You are going to need to find a way to anchor it down. What you don't want is for it to get wings and wreck your neighbors booth. I've used two systems for holding mine down. I made heavy weights and carried them to shows. I have also used large containers that I have filled with water at the show as weights. I use Tautline Hitch knots to keep everything snug. It is a good knot to learn to make.

Steve

Old 2007-06-18, 7:55am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

I just took the plunge and bought a pavillon with 3 sides on Ebay here in Germany. It also is not the most expensive thing, but it is fabric so it should be ok. We bought an extra side, so it will have 3 sides to it.

Juergen is going to make some sort of tie down weights so it should be fine.

My question, Reenie, is how do you plan on laying out your pavillon now to demonstrate torching? I have a city festival in September and they want me to demonstrate as well...a bit lost on how I should lay it out so the flame isn't pointing outwards at the visitors, making it child/visitor safe, and yet allowing them to watch at a safe distance. That, and putting up a table for selling.

Would love to hear what you have planned.
Old 2007-06-18, 5:38pm
Salt Box Beads

My husband and I bought the same tent for my first bead show selling in a parking lot at a local bead store. It is a beautiful tent and was the envy of all the others...but... it was hard to put together..it is comfortable with 3 people...hard for two and almost impossible for one!

The metal frame legs are all numbered and of 3 or four different sizes so you have to take time to get them sorted out. They are not very heavy duty.

We had strongs winds that day and really needed the weights you can buy and attach to the frame. You need them for all tents though that are set up outside and not able to be staked into the lawns/ground.

We sold it and I will get an EZ up next time so I can do it by myself and attach the weights by myself also.

It is beautiful and roomy but because it was all the way to the ground even though we had a front open it got very hot inside.

I would not buy it again for bead shows maybe for a camping trip or backyard party.
Lorraine.
Old 2007-06-18, 5:50pm

Sam's has EZYups without sides for about 100, and some with sides for more....they are excellent, nicely made, easy up and down, and many of the storage bags have wheels on one end so you don't have to huff it everywhere.
Old 2007-06-18, 6:15pm

Get yourself something to weight the tent down in case of wind. There are all kinds of weights you could use - some fill PVC pipe with concrete and put in a metal ring to tie rope on, others use plain old cinderblocks or bags of sand. You will want your tables up around chest level. Get some PVC pipe again and cut. Most of the portable table legs will fit down inside the pipe. Some people buy bed risers and rest their tables on that. You can always buy risers for going on top of the table, but I just use various types of boxes and put them under the table cloth. Get a roll of duct tape - the good stuff. You will NOT believe the many uses. Also get some bungie cords and large clips. This will also help you with the wind issue. Lighting is a good idea if you are going to do inside shows but not many outside shows provide electricity. You can, of course, always get a generator or a car battery to run the lights.

Here's a checklist that might help - http://www.craftsreport.com/august99/businesswise.html.

As you do shows, you will discover what you need and what fits you best. Good luck.