Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-11-05, 3:18pm

Default storing propane outside

I plan on storing my 100lb propane tank outside and plumb it into the shop. Any advice as to whether one needs to cover the tank and regulator from the constant winter rain? I see larger tanks out side, but a truck comes out to service these, I will be taking this one into town to have it filled. is there as well a down side to making a small shed(tall dog house, small out house) to hide it, can not say these are the prettiest things to have in ones landscaping
Old 2006-11-05, 3:19pm
Queen Bead

I keep mine in the shed and have the lines run through to my house.
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. "I created You." ~ Jim Willis
Old 2006-11-05, 4:13pm

I have my BBQ tank in a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom of it for circulation. If there were a big enough can you could use that. I also put a hole in the side for the hose connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rose Leslie
Old 2006-11-05, 8:02pm
Gentleman of Leisure

IF you feel that tank valve and regulator need protection from rain, something as simple as a plastic bucket turned up side down over valve would be sufficient... Thousands of tanks sit outside in all sorts of bad weather and do not suffer.... I would not worry about tank per say... Regulator can also withstand a lot of abuse, but covering it can't hurt....

Something as simple as some wooden lattice work can disguise tank and help blend it into landscape.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-11-05 at 8:04pm.
Old 2006-11-06, 5:09am
Safety ALWAYS

Take a one gallon plastic milk jug and cut the top off, and use it to cover the regulator. You don't need to worry about the valve, but I would at the very least cover the regulator. Most of these regs are designed for either inside or protected outside use.

Besides the fact that they are expensive...

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world