The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-12-19, 11:27am
Daydream Glass

Default sprockets, I mean sockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrag13 View Post
take a socket u know the things u loosen bolts with put on your table socket up now use a c clamp clamp to table now what ever size socket u use is your ring size pull twistie or stringer while still hot wrap your twistie around the socket until stiff now u have a perfet circle decorate from ther
I don't think I'm the only one who was entertained by reading this post. I've made a few hundred rings and I don't think I could have used sockets to make them on. There is a reason why the ring mandrels are made the way the are. Thin walled and hollow for even distribution of heat. Also it's really handy to have the mandrel to spin between your fingers to keep the heat even while you are shaping and decorating. Sockets that are possibly chrome plated or are a metal alloy are not going to survive the heat. Also my torch is not movable, so clamping the socket holder to my worktop is not an option. Using a long socket holder and spinning it in front of the torch for a half an hour or more sounds more like a job for Popeye or Lou Ferrigno.
I've experimented with 3" long hex nuts screwed onto threaded mandrels and dipped in bead release -hoping to get a cool hexagonal-holed bead. The sucker melted in half very quickly. It sure looked like steel, but must have been an alloy of some sort.
I am very interested in seeing the rings your friend makes on sockets. Could you please take some pictures? Or get a more detailed explanation from them? Thanks.

Hey -the graphite ring sizing mandrel looks interesting, too, but wouldn't all the rings made on it be angled on the inside?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-19, 11:34am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria View Post
...Hey -the graphite ring sizing mandrel looks interesting, too, but wouldn't all the rings made on it be angled on the inside?
I would suggest that, after creating the ring and when you're at the "finished" or "near finished" product stage, if you remove the ring, turn it around, heat it and slide it back on the mandrel, and shoot it with a bit more heat, you'd probably get a pretty even (unangled) interior...additionally, this might even cause a slight "bevel" to the interior, radiating from the very center most point outward on each side...in effect, it would end up like the "comfort" wedding bands, and would probably be even more comfortable and less "pinchy" to wear. Just my simple mind working overtime again! Ha!!!!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro