Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-11-16, 6:41am
juegues con fuego

Default Purple Thunder Odd Boro color!

I bought some of this Purple Thunder from Jodel a while back,and was wondering if anyone had used it and gotten it to strike a pretty purple. Pics would be nice too On jodels page is mid-way down and says purple thunder Thanks http://jodelglass.com/shopsite_sc/st...l/page160.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-16, 6:44am
ManBearPig

I have used it. It does strike to a nice blue-purple. I'm looking to see if I still have a photo of the piece I used it in...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-16, 7:01am
ManBearPig

Here it is:

Old 2006-11-16, 2:03pm
Boro Brat

I LOVE this color on surface work!! It turns into a really pretty opaque purple & yellow, depending on how you work it. It has a very different tone when worked from DAP, which is what I think the rod resembles. I'll try to get some pics of a piece I did with it later

Old 2006-11-16, 7:46pm
juegues con fuego

Ive never worked with boro before,so could you tell me what to do to get it to turn purple? When I tried it only turned grey Help? Thanks!!

Old 2006-11-16, 11:48pm
Boro Brat

Work it really hot while you make whatever you're trying to make. Don't let any haze build up on it at all. Then, when the shape is done, let it cool until it doesn't glow anymore (I check by putting the piece under the table where it is darker so I can see if there is any glow left). Once it has cooled enough, bring it into the very back of the flame and let it heat up to a very dull red glow. You should start to see the colors come out of it Of course, when I work this color on the surface, I turn up the oxy and just let it strike as I work, but it yeilds a COMPLETELY different effect Good luck!

Old 2006-11-17, 1:13am
needs to light the torch.

Purple Thunder is a Momka glass and I don't think it is odd at all.

It is listed as a regular color on her website: http://www.momkasglass.com/color.html

Old 2006-11-17, 6:08am
juegues con fuego

Thats cool,now I can get more!

Old 2006-11-17, 10:09pm

It's supposed to get all kinds of effects...

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-11-18, 7:45pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

i watered it down with clear last night and made 2 encased beads and all I got was brown??? there was a bit of purple were the encasing hadn't gone right the way to the hole and the pt was peeking through on the surface???
Old 2006-11-20, 4:51am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

don't overstrike purple thunder. I work it pretty hot until all haze burns off, and then I strike it just a tad bit. This is a pretty intense color wich needs to be thinned a lot before using it ( lots of clear).

Firefly, I'll mail you tonight, gotta run now