Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2007-10-23, 9:09am

Default Submission Requests For Article On Color

I am interested in submissions for an article and lecture I am giving on color. Anythings goes guys!! Colors that worked when you were sure they wouldnt .Psychological attachments to and why. This is going to cover history as well as psychology. I am not so much interested in you revealing your secret color combos as much as how you feel about them and why you chose them.Any stories about color. Later on I will be interested in seeing your best color combos as well as stuff you just hated.Thanks in advance to everyone. Please help and nothing is to inconsequeontial I need it all. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STOP to see my new etsy shop!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-10-23, 12:51pm

I have one more addition to this request. I would like to have anyone interested to please put these colors in preferential order. Black, brown, gray,white,yellow,red, blue purple,green and orange and pink. I will tabulate this information and let you all in on the results and what the color psychology of the orders mean. I am also interested in your favorite colors and least favorite colors and why.Thanks again.

Old 2007-10-25, 12:26pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Pam, beautiful beads!
Do you need people to post here or to email you?

Old 2007-10-25, 2:41pm

Hi lil pink bead fairy. Either way. If you want your choices or stories to remain private email me. Thanks in advance and the pink turtle is way cute!! Your site is awesome too!

Old 2007-10-25, 4:33pm

I know what colors I like but the why is the hard part. I know I love bublegum pink and light blue but hate chocolate brown. If I have to think about why I would say pink reminds me of the roses and peonies that I love so much and the blue reminds me of the sky or water. Chocolate brown just seems so dark and I like light colors. Even though I have seen lots of combinations with brown and some other color it never looks quite right to me. But I love putting light colors on black beads. I think the brown just muddies the combo up to my eye and that is why I don't like it. I like pastel and bright colors but don't like dark colors like maroon or colors you would see in a south western palette.

Another thing I noticed is that I am attracted to a range of colors in stead of just one color. What i mean is pink by itself doesn't look as good as a light pink, pink and dark pink together. When you look in nature you usually see many shades of a color that look like one color from a distance. This is why I like to use the transparent glass colors over white because they show shadow and the color seems to have so much depth. My favorite transparent color is light and dark aqua probably because they look so much like the ocean.
Old 2007-10-25, 7:43pm

So cool! Thanks bos76. Can you put the colors in the orde rof your preference for me. Iknow your red and my red are different in our minds. It doesnt matter. Just rank what them in order from fave to least favorite. How can I say this...hmmmm. Just rank them without thinking that it may not be the shade of red or pink or blue that you like. I guess just pretend that they are.

Old 2007-10-25, 7:46pm

HMMM With the colors on your list my order from favorite to least:

Purple, Blue, Green, Pink, Black, White, Red, Grey, Brown, Yellow Orange.

Let's see. My favorite color is purple. I don't know why, it always has been. My least is orange cause I think it is ugly. I have always thought so and haven't seen much to make a change in my feelings.

When I was a little kid I didn't like Green. Mostly Kelly Green because my room was decorated Green and white when I was little and I really wanted it to change and my mom wouldn't let me. Ick. I used to dislike blue as well because my mom would always dress me in blue (becuase my eyes are blue) and my sister got to wear pink because she had dark skin/hair and eyes. So irritating. As I have gotten older I have found shades of all colors nice, but I still don't like that Kelly Green.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-10-25, 7:50pm

PS - Pam, I love your beads in your banner. I don't think I have seen much of your work before, I really like your style and colors.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-10-26, 1:22am
Entropy increasing....

I have no favorite colors. I have told my husband that if he ever has those tv people re do our house while I'm away just tell them not to paint anything gray. Only because we live in the NW and it looks like outside and that depressing. And baby blue. Unless it's a periwinkle.

As far as I am concerned, all colors go together. It's just a matter of how much.

I used to draw in graphite. I didn't want to use color. But then I got bored so I started painting in color. An interesting exercise in painting is to use only 3 colors to do an entire painting. One cool, one warm, one neutral. None black. You learn a lot about color that way. It never intimidates me anymore. People who live in houses with all white walls drive me nuts. Take a chance, people!

As for your list of colors. I don't really have favorites. I can tell you the order I prefer them in right at this moment, but that could change in an hour or by tomorrow morning. At this particular moment I'm kind of sick of orange. I'm over oranged with Halloween coming up and with testing all those Vetrofond Odd Lots that just came out.

purple, green, Black,brown, pink, blue, white, red, gray,yellow, and orange .
Old 2007-10-26, 6:56am

I prefer the colors ordered like this. pink, blue, purple, green, yellow, black, orange, white, red, brown, and gray
Old 2007-10-26, 9:16am
Flossy-Flossy

Well....I like the colors you use.

Love the colors in your house. I'm instantly happy when I walk in.

I really like the corals, limes, yellows & tangerines.

I associate those colors with summer, florida, warm weather & relaxation. All the things that make my senses say...."ahhhhhhhh."

Old 2007-10-26, 4:48pm

You guys are great..Thanks Lara for the compliments. Did you notice we already have two votes for purple as the favorite? This has been a high ranked color for women for years. I enjoy all you guys reasons for your choices from hating it as kid to just plain hating it. I agree Kevan..NO GRAY WALLS. Hi Beth..will you put them in order for me. hug the kids ok? Thanks so much for your help.

Old 2007-10-26, 4:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2snooze View Post
Pam, beautiful beads!
Do you need people to post here or to email you?
I would really like to know your rankings of the colors too. Thanks Pam

Old 2007-10-26, 11:17pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pambead View Post
Hi lil pink bead fairy. Either way. If you want your choices or stories to remain private email me. Thanks in advance and the pink turtle is way cute!! Your site is awesome too!
Thank you Pam!
I will post my thoughts real soon, I love talking about color!

Old 2007-10-28, 4:06am

kevan mentioned that she likes to see people take a chance on using color on their walls of their homes. i LOVE all cream walls for the reason that it gives me so much leeway with change and taking chances with colors in furniture, accessories and art. i need lots and lots of light and do not do well in dark homes or dark rooms. give me rooms with tons of windows and light and white, white, white and i am happy.

you can totally redo a white room by just changing the accessories. perhaps, because i am not good at painting, i like a neutral palate on the walls. painting a room seems like such a miserable project to me while changing the colors of the accessories seems like a cinch.

as for beads, i love bright colors, neutral colors, any darn colors or combinations of colors. it depends upon my mood that day. i never know what color is going to excite me from day to day. color is so much fun. i am as comfortable with brights as i am with neutrals when lampworking, depending upon the day, the weather, the month, or the latest color options in new glass.
Old 2007-10-28, 3:22pm
Missing presumed fed

Purple, Blue, Green, Black, Pink, White, Red, Grey, Orange, Yellow, Brown.

More or less. Today, anyway. And I'm not sure that these selections apply to beads, or clothing, or the other way around. After all, the purples we have in glass are pretty horrible. I don't make a lot of beads with blue glass -- but one of the reasons I love Double Helix is the blues you can get from it.

You can put the last three -- orange, yellow, brown -- in any order you like. I don't like any of them. Of course, I've been wearing brown practically every damn day for the last two years because it's been all you can buy (would someone please re-introduce clothing designers to the concept of blue?)
Old 2007-10-28, 10:02pm
Senior Moment

Hi Pam!
Ok, my favorites. Purple has always been my favorite. Then yellow, red, green, orange, black, blue brown and gray.
I had a purple bedroom when I was a kid and I have one now. I love bright colors so my kitchen is yellow and my FR is an orange/bronze color.
I keep ordering purple glass because I love it.

Old 2007-10-29, 5:20am

Again ..its been exciting to hear what you ALL like about color! You all come across with such passion. And LIGHT has the most incredible effect on color for without it ..WE HAVE NONE! I too am a huge fan of light ,light, and more light.."Give me photons or give me death". As far as rods..I know our purples are hideous thats ok and you can love the colors in clothing,, glass paintings..It doesn't matter. i am looking for what you guys are giving me. Rankings and feelings. Color is very difficult to pin down and define.

Old 2007-10-29, 5:30am
Pyromaniac

pink green yellow red blue purple Black white brown gray orange

I have an aversion to orange, I don't want it ANYWHERE around me. I really don't know why but I really hate it.

I love analogous color schemes, various hues of blue and green for example. My house has lots of warm buttery yellow, sage green, neutrals and some red.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2007-10-29, 3:04pm

I love color .. that's one of the reasons I transitioned to glass - the amazing color that can be brought out of it. I even love dark murky colors in the right place (where they are is important to me). For years I would have put brown at the bottom of my list of colors - but I love chocolate brown and amber so go figure? Interestingly when I moved into my current house the kitchen was painted that 70's avacado (actually it was covered in malamine trim) so I ripped it out preferring the mucky plaster (which had more character). When I finally got around to painting it guess which color I chose! It is just a smidge away from the original avacado color - but slightly yellower( well that's my excuse)!

In order (and I have to confess to having no real preference so this is a stretch - for instance I love and always have loved blues but give me that ghastly "American" blue - the one that rubbermaid containers was/is made in and yucko!) - so without thinking about it too much I think I'd go:

Blue, green, orange, purple, red, black, brown, white and yellow.

Old 2007-10-30, 1:09pm

I'll be glad to let you know my color choices in order...the hard part is WHAT SHADE of the color makes it my Fave? LOL I mean I LOVE Butter Yellow , but DON'T like BRIGHT ACID Yellow, and I LOVE Fuchsia Pink, but don't really like pale pink... ya know?

Anyway here they are in order, WITHOUT shade preferences!
White, Pink, orange , blue, red, yellow, green, purple, brown, black, grey

MOSTLY I prefer bright HAPPY colors. and dislike dull, depressing colors.

I'll add a side note here... I have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and I find that summery colors cheer me, and winter colors depress me or make me feel as I did in the winters up north. As much as I miss NH and the seasons, I DON'T miss the winter depression. I think loving (and wearing) lots of bright colors was a definite way for me to pull myself out of the blues. Still is!

My Caribbean beads reflect that, I make them mostly in the winter months.

Hugs
Lynnie

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:

Last edited by danelady; 2007-10-30 at 1:18pm.
Old 2007-10-30, 1:31pm

Hey Pam, I just took a look at your website and I LOVE the long beads with twisty extensions. I had no idea anyone was doing those. I make LOTS of twisties, and I have been TRYING to use my twisties as part of a bead extension without much luck as they seem too fragile. I wanted to let you know how much I love the bead you created that way tho!!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-10-30, 3:26pm

Lana hmmm an aversion to orange interesting JK I love to hear what you dislike as well as what you like.Lynnie..I have the same disorder only my depression is year round. I have had it for as long as I can remember. Winter is particularly tough for me and I gravitate to happy colors also. I understand totally!!! Thanks for all your compliments and responses. Lana and Sadie you are very descriptive..as I say "dont hold back " and you guys don"t'. And Sadie..I have also started to appreciate more earth tones and murkiness as you call it. It has its place. You guys rock!!

Old 2007-11-01, 5:41pm

I like jewel/rich earth tones best of all. Not into pastels or bright colors.
blue
Black
purple
brown
green
red
pink (always hated it for being girly but its growing on my as i get older)
orange
yellow
gray
white (i spill stuff too much to like white!)

|
Old 2007-11-02, 5:52am

Hi Lavendar Thank you. I love the beads you made that look like boro are they?
Dane lady..I just saw your twisties..you go girl..they are a difficult thing to really master. They are fragile so I use them mostly for just pure art expression. I am impressed.
Sadie..your organic seed bead braclet is stunning.

Old 2007-11-02, 5:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
PS - Pam, I love your beads in your banner. I don't think I have seen much of your work before, I really like your style and colors.
Lara. Lara. i am just figureing out I can return a message here. duh. Thanks for your input. I am off to look at your lovely beads.

Old 2007-11-02, 5:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by polka dottie View Post
kevan mentioned that she likes to see people take a chance on using color on their walls of their homes. i LOVE all cream walls for the reason that it gives me so much leeway with change and taking chances with colors in furniture, accessories and art. i need lots and lots of light and do not do well in dark homes or dark rooms. give me rooms with tons of windows and light and white, white, white and i am happy.

you can totally redo a white room by just changing the accessories. perhaps, because i am not good at painting, i like a neutral palate on the walls. painting a room seems like such a miserable project to me while changing the colors of the accessories seems like a cinch.

as for beads, i love bright colors, neutral colors, any darn colors or combinations of colors. it depends upon my mood that day. i never know what color is going to excite me from day to day. color is so much fun. i am as comfortable with brights as i am with neutrals when lampworking, depending upon the day, the weather, the month, or the latest color options in new glass.
We think alike exept every room in my house is a differnt color. It is easier though to just change accessories, and you get the luxury of changing more ofte, so both ways really work. I like that you choose neutral wall so you have a background for all the other color. So many people stay all neutral to be safe. Thanks for your input.

Old 2007-11-02, 1:48pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Aqua, blue, hot pink, lime green, orange and black are my favorites.

I think they are my "pick me up" colors.

Sara

Old 2007-11-07, 2:32pm

thanks Sara. I hope I get to see some of your beads!

Old 2007-11-07, 4:41pm
Satake Woman!

I'm a green gal. Lots and lots of green. Then some blue. Definitely not pink. bleh!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!