Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-12-06, 7:19am

Default Depth of Field!

Here is a good pic to illustrate the concept of Depth of Field: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...08&postcount=1

Definitions of Depth of Field:
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field
-- http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...mls/depth.html

Jan
Old 2006-12-07, 6:03am
sunscreen me baby

Can't see it.

One great way to see depth of field with your camera is to take a series of shots with your camera changing only the aperature. Write on each picture the aperature and after looking at a few times you will begin to know what dof you want to use for your shots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-07, 6:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Can't see it.
You can't see it in: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...08&postcount=1 ?

Really? You can't see the difference in sharpness between the rearmost beads and the ones in the foreground? Wow.

Jan
Old 2006-12-07, 7:19am

As a photographer I can see how the wrong depth of field was used, if, the artist wanted all their beads in focus. However a novice may not see exactly what is going on without a full example of different fields of focus.
Old 2006-12-07, 7:23am
sunscreen me baby

now I can. I meant I couldn't see your picture.

~

Old 2006-12-08, 7:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litsayn View Post
As a photographer I can see how the wrong depth of field was used, if, the artist wanted all their beads in focus. However a novice may not see exactly what is going on without a full example of different fields of focus.
I actually think that example picture looks great! I posted it as just one small example of the concept of depth of field, since (to my eyes) the sharpness fall-off from front to rear is quite dramatic.

Oh well. Just trying to help.

Jan
Old 2006-12-08, 7:25am

Quote:
now I can. I meant I couldn't see your picture.
Whew! Thanks.

J
Old 2006-12-08, 7:34am
sunscreen me baby

I see what you were getting at Jan. I don't think Litsayn knew what you were talking about. I'm use to be a Professional Photographer too. There are many uses for depth of field for bead shots. One of my favorites is to show a view where the focal bead of the set is in full focus and the spacers sort of fade away. It gives the pictures presented a bit of interest.
BTW, pretty beads!

~

Old 2006-12-08, 9:34am

Quote:
I don't think Litsayn knew what you were talking about.
Goodness gracious, I barely know I'm talking about myself, most of the time. So it's no wonder I confuse others. (chuckle)

Quote:
There are many uses for depth of field for bead shots. One of my favorites is to show a view where the focal bead of the set is in full focus and the spacers sort of fade away. It gives the pictures presented a bit of interest.
I agree wholeheartedly! Just as that example pic illustrated. The foreground beads pratically jump right out of the screen, right at you! Nifty!

They are pretty beads. I wonder if Melissa knows we've been yacking about them for a few days!

Jan
Old 2007-01-20, 6:08pm

It's not called depth of field. Although it was depth of field that created the effect. It's called selective focus. And has been a tool in photographers tool box from the beginning. I love the shot. Well done Well done.

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2007-01-20 at 6:15pm.