No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-13, 9:14pm
it is what it is......

Default How do you ...new dark pink?

When I use the new dark pink (moretti) it is hard for me to get it shine. It looks frosted when I kiln anneal it. What am I doing wrong? Please help. The color is exciting, but I have this problem with it....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-14, 5:04am
Who me?

I just got some. Haven't tried it yet but it looks suspiciously like evil devitrifying purple.
Old 2006-11-14, 5:15am

Mine came yesterday and looks just like EDP. Didn't even try it last night. Wanted to make sure it was the right stuff first. gayle
Old 2006-11-14, 7:15am

What pink? Where did you get it?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-11-14, 9:42am
it is what it is......

It does look like edp. Please let me know when you use it. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-14, 6:31pm

Default I had the opportunity

to try it out last night and I absolutely love it. I would post a picture of it but I don't know how to do that yet. It does look like edp, but it goes on kind of creamy white and seems to strike pink. Heather, Jon at Lb had a limited amount a few weeks back. I just got lucky to get it before he sold out.

Lynn
Old 2006-11-14, 6:58pm
Who me?

I had a chance to work with it tonight. It is definately NOT EDP - smoothe as butter to work with - not shocky at all and the most awesome shade of pink - and I'm not a pink person. Will try to post pics tomorrow night. I did notice a silverish edge around the pink where it hit against some intense black but other than that it looks beautiful - we'll see how it comes out of the kiln.
Old 2006-11-14, 9:56pm
Junior Mint

Pictures! We want to see pictures!

Also ~ where can we get it?

my stuff on
Old 2006-11-14, 10:33pm
Fight glass with FIRE

many places have the dark pink 256. Some have it in limited amounts depending on which supplier they got it from.

Emmanuel Germain
Old 2006-11-15, 2:07am

I've only made one bead with mine, but I love it! Definately not EDP, mine came out of the kiln looking more of a purple-pink with a true pink-pink around the mandrel. Hopefully with some work, I can get the whole bead to strike that color! Its great glass to work with.
Carol

Old 2006-11-15, 3:58am
Who me?

Here's two beads made with the dark pink. It looks similar to EDP until you melt it - see the two ends - first dark pink then EDP. Oh yes, and it strikes easily. Uniformity of striking needs a little work on my part.
Attached Images

Old 2006-11-15, 9:22am
Rose colored glasses…√

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...le=moretti+256

only one of the suppliers' glass resembles EDP from the pics, but as we all know, pics can be deceiving...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-11-15, 10:28am
Missing presumed fed

I ordered the basic dark rose (is that 256? one of the old standard colors, anyway) from Ed Hoy, and it showed up looking like EDP. (Confused me, because I hadn't ordered any EDP.) Doesn't act like it, though. No devit. It went a little paler when I used it, but still stayed a dark pink. I didn't try to strike it. I've heard it strikes, so I might have been able to get it back to the rod color. It wasn't difficult to work. It's just the latest batch of dark rose (dark pink), so whether you get this shade depends on whether your supplier has older stuff in stock or got the latest batch off the boat. Mike Frantz has some posts about it up in the section where the suppliers post.
Old 2006-11-15, 10:34am

Edited to add pics!

I got some from Jon @ LBS and it does look and act like EDP. Mine does devit. I did finally notice that it turns more pink than the edp, but it's a very dark fuschia. It looks more like the rod on the left than the right in the pic above. I took a pic of the ends of the rods and they look EXACTLY the same with maybe a bit more pink in the 256 rod.

He sent me cotton candy to replace it b/c I really couldn't tell a difference to begin with and b/c he's THE BEST!!!!!! So, I guess I'm not understanding how you guys are getting that regular pastel pink and no devit. Also, are you NOT striking it? Thanks!
Sorry for the pics - I took these very quickly, no editing to send to Jon. What do you think?

First pic: The 256 is on the left, the EDP is on the right. Second pic: EDP is on the left, 256 on the right.

Evolution is only a theory, just like, um, gravity.

SAVE THE CHEERLEADER, SAVE THE WORLD!

Last edited by Palestrina; 2006-11-15 at 10:42am.
Old 2006-11-15, 10:45am
Who me?

I got mine from lbs a few days ago it was called "256 dark pink plus" and it was in 18 inch rods. they only had a couple of pounds and it definately does not act like EDP. I cannot strike EDP in the back of the flame with licks of the flame like I can this pink. To keep the scuzzies away from EDP, I have to get the entire surface hot one last time before I put it into the kiln.
Old 2006-11-15, 10:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
I got mine from lbs a few days ago it was called "256 dark pink plus" and it was in 18 inch rods. they only had a couple of pounds and it definately does not act like EDP. I cannot strike EDP in the back of the flame with licks of the flame like I can this pink. To keep the scuzzies away from EDP, I have to get the entire surface hot one last time before I put it into the kiln.

See? I CAN strike EDP that way. It takes some practice but it's doable. It's also a PITA while trying to figure it out. But my pink definately devits no matter what and I really do NOT think it's edp. It doesn't devit nearly as bad, but it does it. Am I crazy? It seems to be pink...

Old 2006-11-15, 10:55am
Who me?

Kimberly, you can't see it in my photo but one side of the spacer bead isn't as dark as the side shown. It wasn't devit but definately not as dark. No matter how hard I tried to strike it, it just wouldn't turn.

Could have been the cut end of the rod as this was the first bead I made with that rod. I can't tell the difference in the rods you show but one of the beads definately looks pinker on my screen.

The thing is with this pink glass I got from LBS is that it looks and feels like other pinks I have when it is melted, smooth, no bubbles, no shocky stuff. I tried some raku over it and what a mess. The raku "curdled" the pink all around the edges of the raku and the raku would not get those awesome colors, just turned rusty.
Old 2006-11-15, 11:01am

Well, here's what I do know... we all have glass that's a bit different, but it's all the same glass, same batch. Mike F said that the batch came out in all different colors. The cotton candy and this are from the same pull, as is yours, so I guess that's why we're getting all different stuff.

Old 2006-11-15, 11:20am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
Well, here's what I do know... we all have glass that's a bit different, but it's all the same glass, same batch. Mike F said that the batch came out in all different colors. The cotton candy and this are from the same pull, as is yours, so I guess that's why we're getting all different stuff.
Yeah, it's different all right. I have some of what was called cotton candy and it looks nothing like this stuff.
Old 2006-11-17, 10:18am
Who me?

I found more info on 256 pink - see post 24 in particular for devit info
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=35502