Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-01-16, 6:04pm

Default Does anyone have this camera?

I am in the market for a new camera and saw the specs on this one. I have an older Nikon Coolpix but it doesn't have enough MP.
Does anyone have this one or know anything about it?
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CPL5/CPL5A.HTM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-18, 6:44pm

Default Why more megapixels???

Jan,

What do you have now and what makes you think you need more MP's? What do you wish to do that makes you want new camera?
Larry
Old 2007-01-18, 7:41pm

My Nikon has 3.2 mp. There are online jury entries that require more in order to have a higher quality image. I have been researching other options and just wondered if someone was familiar with the camera that I mentioned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-18, 8:26pm

Default NO....NO......NO

Jan,

You camera is just fine for anything on-line or anything you want to print out on your inkjet prinrter. Your photo editing program is the key. If you take a picture with your camera set to the 3.2 quality setting and then just uploaded the file it would be so big that it would take a loooooong time to upload and download. and be so big that one screen shot would not be able to show more than a small portion of it. In fact if your inkjet printer can not print anything larger then a 8 1/2 by 11 piece of paper then you would not be able to print a 3.2 mp file unless you reduced the file size or crop the picture. I hope this does not confuse you and feel free to PM me if you need more info

Larry
Old 2007-01-18, 9:40pm

This is what I am trying to do: (from Zapp)

Taking a digital photograph instead of scanning a hard copy photograph or slide to digital format will yield the best results. Use at least a 3.2 mega-pixel camera. For best results we advise using a 4 or 5 mega pixel camera. Use a camera that will allow you to save the image in a loss-less format such as TIFF or RAW. This will give you the best opportunity to resize your image without losing detail. If your digital camera only captures images in the JPEG format, do not resize the JPEG--convert it to a TIFF before doing any resizing. This way, you will keep the maximum detail possible.

Set your white balance on your camera against a neutral white source to give you a "pure" white color. Follow the instructions that came with your camera to set your white balance correctly.

I know how to use PhotoShop but my camera just isn't giving me the quality that I would like to submit. I can't set the white balance on my camera. I used a friend's camera that is 7.1mp with a manual white balance and they were a lot better. I just don't want to spend any more money than I have to.

Old 2007-01-18, 10:33pm

Default new camera

Jan,

If the white balance is a problem on your present camera then the L5 sounds like a nice point and shoot camera for the money. With regard to function, you are still at the mercy of the camery with regard to f-stop, shutter speed, etc. The only way to have full control of a camera is to have an SLR wwhich puts you in a different price range. In closing I will say Nikon does not make any bad cameras. Look at any group of pros at a big event and they will be about evenly split between NIKON and CANON. Good luck with whatever camera you choose.

Larry
Old 2007-01-19, 5:40am

Thanks for the information. It seems that some people either love one or the other but not both. Wish me luck!

Old 2007-01-19, 11:22am
..in withdrawal....

Depending on the age of the camera, the problem could just be that the technology at the time was not that great and won't produce as nice a picture as an equal resolution camera made today. I had an old 3.2 mp camera that I replaced because of this. The ability to get a sharp image on a newer 3.2 camera is much better.