No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-21, 8:30pm
Light My Torch

Default Need to know about glue

ok I need to know what is the best glue to use to bond glass(bead) to metal?
thanks
jj

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-21, 9:30pm

www.thistothat.com for your answer (as well as answer to many other glue questions).

"For the strongest, fastest, and most invisible bond we recommend:

Loctite Impruv

If appearance isn't much of a concern, try:

J-B Weld"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SadiesJewels; 2010-08-21 at 9:33pm.
Old 2010-08-21, 9:40pm

I have had a hell of a time finding a good glue for barrettes. The E6000 does not hold 50% of the time. I will have to try these ones

Old 2010-08-21, 9:58pm

I've been told Weldbond works good, not sure if it is a Canadian or American product though.

Old 2010-08-21, 10:09pm

yep E600 is generally useless ... I can never see why people carry on using it for jewelry purposes - it's good for some other less exacting things though. It might be a climatic issue?

Old 2010-08-22, 1:31am

someone in chat told me about 5 second glue that you get at the hardware store

Old 2010-08-22, 2:50am
Happy Beadmaker!

There's some great info on glue if you search on LE for it -- some recent discussions were very enlightening. And there's also a site called "this-to-that" that tells what you need to glue a particular material to something else.

HTH!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2010-08-22, 4:28am
Light My Torch

thank you for all of the great info, I'm going to my hardware store today to try the loctite impruv. I will let you know how it works.
jj

Old 2010-08-22, 11:32am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Triolyse works great!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-08-22, 2:15pm

what I like about thistothat.com is that they are a non-profit research lab, and they are both serious about their work, and they are fun! For example their glue of the month every October is a spirit gum or other latex makeup glue. Plus they have reviewed lots of specialty products that we may not see at the regular hardware store, such as automotive and marine adhesives.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-08-22, 3:57pm
offically down under

I'm not sure if you can get it in the USA, but I love UHU A & B epoxy for jewellery. It is a rapid set clear especially for use in jewellery.

Old 2010-08-22, 4:46pm

I have quite the collection of glues obtained in my search for something that works. My fav is a 2 part epoxy, EPOXY 330. I bought mine on ebay.

"She said she cried at least once a day, not because she was sad, but because the world is so beautiful and life is so short" Brian Andreas
Old 2010-08-22, 5:23pm

When I first found thistothat.com the recommended glue was Loctite 330cl (cl for clear I presume) and it has worked really well for me for years. It's interesting to note that they have updated their idea (great!) and now I'll be testing the Impruv!

Old 2010-08-24, 8:27am

We use Triolyse. I rough up the glass slightly, as well as the metal. This stuff works. Read my blog post below.

My Blog Post

Steve

Last edited by SteveWright; 2010-08-24 at 8:28am. Reason: typo
Old 2010-08-24, 8:36am
da General

Triolyse has always worked great for us.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-08-24, 9:00am
Did someone say SALE?

I just asked a fuser what she preferred for glue, and she said Triolyse works best for her. Now I need to find a supplier, as I would like to get some.
Old 2014-07-22, 2:43pm

After doing some research, I finally found this DevCon clear epoxy that I've been really happy with.
( I found the suggestion here: http://www.gluehow.com/recommendation/Glass/to/Metal )

I didn't try Loctite Impruv because my glass beads are colored and the light can't get through for curing but I might try it on my next project involving clear glass beads just to compare.
Old 2014-07-28, 6:37am
hyperT

Jewelers use UV glue it sets up under UV lighting or Sunlight even and remains perfectly clear, it also is very strong. Probably won't find it at you local hardware store so get your search engine out.
Old 2014-07-28, 6:19pm

I've used Hasulith glue and it's never failed - I let it dry for 24 hours and it's brilliant - and easy to clean off any leftover glue with nail polish remover.

FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
Old 2014-07-29, 3:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiesJewels View Post
www.thistothat.com for your answer (as well as answer to many other glue questions).

"For the strongest, fastest, and most invisible bond we recommend:

Loctite Impruv

If appearance isn't much of a concern, try:

J-B Weld"

I use HYSOL by LocTite.