LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2007-11-12, 5:21pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Well I am finally going to order from Dharma the correct dyes.. I found their acid dyes but they come in a powder. I looked at the instructions and I am not sure if these are the right ones.. I was really hoping to do multicolored ones and using the microwave method but I can't seem to figure out which dyes to get for sure and if I do purchase the acid dyes, what is the concentration you are using?

As you can tell, I am perplexed.. I wasted a whole bunch of silk using the wrong dyes and hoping I can get it right this time..
Old 2007-11-13, 5:09am
Anyone need some spacers?

I can't help you with dyes from Dharma since I haven't used them. There are pleanty of others in this thread that have so I hope they will chime in with help for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-13, 11:14am
Molten Glass Addict

Tracy, do you have any extra died ribbons to sell? I have not serger or time, but I'd love to try some!!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2007-11-13, 1:09pm
Trying to Hope!

Hey I want to possibly dye some wool for use in felting how would I do that?

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-11-13, 1:38pm

Hey Jamie, I have tons of extra ribbons from a show I did. I have them in all the color ranges not just the bright colors that someone said was all I have! I also have some white ones. What colors are you looking for.

If I were going to dye wool I would look into some of the links Terri P posted. I have dyed wool with everything from rit to Koolaid so it depends on the look you want.

Old 2007-11-13, 3:02pm
Molten Glass Addict

purple greens and blues.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-11-13, 5:06pm
Molten Glass Addict

I pm'd you tracy!!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-11-14, 5:50am

Got it!

Old 2007-12-05, 11:55am
Bead Obsessed

Default Question

I bought a bunch of ribbons but haven't received them yet. Can anyone tell me what size crimp end does the 1/2" ribbon fit into? I want to buy some ends and don't know what size ID to get.

Thanks!!!

Old 2007-12-05, 3:10pm
Wendy

Any chance someone could maybe link me to some specific instructions on how you're finishing these with crimps or toggles? I've seen several pictures but I'd like to see the specifics if possible?

Thanks
~Wendy

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2007-12-06, 5:06am

I don't believe that there is a link I just posted photos showing what I had done. You just use the tail left from serging to slide up a bead as far as possible using a bit of glue at that point to secure it. If you are using a crimp I would do the same just crimp over a bit of glue.

The size hole of beads or crimps used will depend on how wide your ribbons are and how thick. You will have to get them and just try the beads and crimps. Sorry I can't be more helpful but everyone is making them out of diffrent fabrics and it will make a diffrence on how thick they are.

Last edited by Beadbug; 2007-12-06 at 5:08am.
Old 2007-12-06, 7:05am

I think I have seen a tutorial on how to crimp the ends of jewlery somewhere let me look and see if I can find it.

Here is one:
http://www.manabeads.com/productcart...t.asp?idpage=8

If you click on the pictures in this tutorial they will expand so you can see what they are doing pretty well! It uses wire but you get the idea anyway.
Found another one not as good with pictures but it has a ton of other techniques

http://www.wigjig.com/jewelry-tools/...ques/alpha.htm

This isn't the one I was thinking of so I will look a little bit more bit.

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2007-12-06 at 7:14am.
Old 2007-12-06, 1:53pm
Burning Fingers!

I'm having trouble locating the correct type of silk fabric. I have been to all the fabric shops in town and no one has anything remotely suitable. Does anyone know where I can locate the correct type of silk on line?
Thanks.

/
/
/

Last edited by Jane P; 2007-12-07 at 3:14pm.
Old 2007-12-07, 5:52am
Does that shed?

Good morning all. I've fallen in love with the silk ribbon thing and was reading about you woe's on making your ribbons color fast. This is an old trick my Grandma uses all the time. After you have washed your dyed ribbons to get all the excess out, soak your creations in a solution of white vinegar and cold water over night. It's one part vinegar to three parts cold water. It's called "pickling". It will set your dye. If you find that you still have some bleeding of the color soak again over night. I do it all the time when I get deep colored towels and face cloths. The darn things always run when you wash them!
I hope this helps.

Mary-Anne
Old 2007-12-07, 9:00pm
Meow.

Hmmm, I'll keep buying them. Add me to the don't need another hobby list

This might help those who are looking for more details on finishing.

http://www.nightingalegallery.com/si...ds_ribbons.htm

http://riverstonebead.com/movie6.htm

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2007-12-20, 11:32am
Anna Duhame

Smile

Whew! What a fascinating thread...I just read all five pages, but I can't thank you enough, Tracy, for posting this tutorial.

I bought one of these :

http://www.artbeads.com/silk-ribbon-multi-color.html

I liked it although it was a little lighter weight than what I had wanted, but kind of expensive for me personally to buy a bunch of them.

My Mom has a serger that she has owned for at least 15 years and used ONCE so she has already said I can borrow it. If I can figure out how to get the darn thing threaded I will be on my way.

This is what I am planning to finish the ends with :

http://www.artbeads.com/ss-endcap02.html

(I've bought some similar ones on ebay, but I've missplaced them )

Tracy, I really loved the ways you had yours finished....especially the really fancy one with the bead and the ring.

I also went ahead and ordered the Tumble Dyes. I thought the prices were reasonable and the shipping was very reasonable. I got about 6 to start out.
http://www.shopsei.com/main.cfm?heading=0&categoryoid=9

Tracy has had the best luck with these so I am not even going to mess with anything else.

I found silk shantung here:

http://www.fabric.com/apparel-fashio...ric-ivory.aspx

We don't have a lot of fabric stores locally here and the only one we have, Joann's, doesn't always carry silk so I am going to have to purchase online.

Dharma's seems to have the best prices so I'll probably end up buying their dupioni and I think I want the silk velvet.

Another thing about the velvet is that it can be embossed with an iron and a rubber stamp....just think of the textural possiblilities!

Anyway, I've been lurking this thread for about a week, admiring all the pretty ribbons you've all made. Well done!

Last edited by hummingbird3172; 2007-12-20 at 11:41am.
Old 2007-12-21, 5:02am

I am glad you have enjoyed the thread and thanks for all the great links.

If you end up needing any serger help just let me know. I tought serger classes for years.

No one has posted any velvet strings yet so once you get these done please let us see them.

Old 2007-12-21, 12:03pm
Anna Duhame

Thanks Tracy, I was low on funds and just bought the silk for now...but Dharma's does have the silk velvet for about $10/yd.

If I can get the dyeing right then I will do the silk velvet and rubber stamp thing.......it just looks like too much fun!

I probably will need serger help.....I haven't touched one since I was in high school....over 15 years ago!

Old 2008-02-13, 8:01pm
Born on date: 11/3/09!

Smile

I have made some ribbons!

These are made from Kool-aid (the generic brand) coffee, and Tazo teas!

In Kool-aid I used:
grape (nice purple)
cherry (very bright red- didn't make enough of these because I thought they looked just like tropical fruit but it is brighter)
tropical fruit (kinda salmon color- I made too many of these)
blue raspberry (Very bright)
lemon-lime (LOVE this- like chartreuse *sp*)
mix of grape and cherry (made a lovely root-beer slightly brick redish color)
mix of coffee and lemon-lime (was looking for earthy got light green)

In Tazo Teas
Black Chai (OMG I love this light brown)
Passion (light rose pinkish purple)

Coffee made the lightest brown- like a light tan

I felt like a made scientist. Now I am out of ribbon but have a spool of cord yet to play with- time to hit the kool-aid isle! I can't wait until the easter egg colors come out. I'm stocking up. I found that making the kool-aid with hot water made for less rinsing (it set the color better) but when I used cool water it gave a nice mottled effect (light and dark together in one color.)

Then- as I said in another thread- I used my flat iron (for my hair) to VERY quickly iron them.

I had the kool-aid and tea in the cabinet so my dye cost practically nothing. The coffee was left over from the morning. LOL

These are dainty but they will work well with my goddess beads. I'm so happy- thanks for sharing this information!

The little love of my life...

Last edited by NorLigh; 2008-02-13 at 8:08pm.
Old 2008-02-13, 9:01pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Very Cool.. The koolaid looks like it works well.. And sooooo much cheaper...
Old 2008-02-13, 9:23pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorLigh View Post
I have made some ribbons!

Those are great~ I can't believe you used Kool-Aid!

Old 2008-02-13, 11:38pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Very pretty!!!! What kind or ribbon did you use?

Sara

Old 2008-02-14, 8:15am

Hi,

I used the 1/2 silk ribbon from Dharmas. The ribbons you see there are what I got from one full spool of ribbon, which I believe is 27.5 yards. I searched the web last night looking for prices of ribbon, just to see- and I have to tell you that Dharma was almost a full 50% less than anything else I could find. I'm readu to order more! I can't wait to try more colors! Since I only used the generic Kool-aid (maybe it is called Mix-aid?) and one Welch's (the blue) I know there are a lot more color choices in the actual Kool-aid section.

Funny story- my husband thought I was making dinner when I was doing the ribbons. LOL!

Old 2008-02-14, 10:47am
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorLigh View Post
Jennifer, these are really came out beautifully! I LOVE the complex brown from the Tazo Black Chai! (Do they smell good, too? lol!)

I think I'm going to have to try dyeing the silk another time -- this time with drink products!

(How funny about your husband and the dinner thing -- must have smelled good!)

Old 2008-02-14, 11:05am

Thanks! Yes he had said he was going out last evening so I was not planning on making dinner. Then he heard me putzing with the microwave, etc.

I want to try other natural stuff that will dye- like beet juice and strawberries. I'll bet the frozen strawberries in juice after thawed would work well.

Old 2008-02-16, 8:39pm

Thoes are beautiful such strong clean looking colors!

You could also put the kool-aid in spray bottles, wet the ribbons and get a nice uneven dyed look and try letting them dry and then dip in a second color.

Now you see why my hubby called the kitchen a mad science lab.

We need to send out a big thanks to Dharma she is just a wealth of infomation and great products!

Old 2008-02-23, 7:01pm
Trying to find my way

Great flowers Bead_Bug!!!!

Old 2008-02-23, 7:24pm

Thanks Heidi

Old 2008-02-25, 4:44am

Tracy.. your silk dyed strands have inspired me !! What size strands do you use ? I am so new to this that the sizes make me dizzy. How do you finish the ends for closure? These would be so wonderful for my girl scouts to make a mothers day project with beads i have for them. I saw the paint on the site also.. thanks so much, liz
Old 2008-02-25, 8:56am

i've just read this whole thread and can't wait to try this. my mom is a great seamstress so i've emailed her about whether or not she has a serger... if not i may try the ribbons, and i am definitely into the Kool Aid, Coffee and tea staining... how neat! thanks for the inspiration... i've been lacking lately!

melanie