Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-11-11, 9:49am

Default oxy/propane in garage with car+gas?

Help!
Please! Anyone! I have been using the hothead/mapp gas combo in my garage for a few years. I have now purchased a bobcat/propane/oxy concentrator setup that I am dying to use. The catch is...I don't want to actually die! My husband has suddenly decided to worry about the dangers of having a car parked in the garage w/ gas in its tank. Not to mention all the paint cans etc....
Does anyone else have a car parked in their studio? Am I gonna blow myself up? Are any of the people who can answer this question still alive?
Thanks!
Stacey
Old 2005-11-11, 10:47am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsbystacey
Help!
Please! Anyone! I have been using the hothead/mapp gas combo in my garage for a few years. I have now purchased a bobcat/propane/oxy concentrator setup that I am dying to use. The catch is...I don't want to actually die! My husband has suddenly decided to worry about the dangers of having a car parked in the garage w/ gas in its tank. Not to mention all the paint cans etc....
Does anyone else have a car parked in their studio? Am I gonna blow myself up? Are any of the people who can answer this question still alive?
Thanks!
Stacey
Most national safety organizations recommend NOT storing flammables in garage where it is exposed to flames from things like water heaters and furnaces. Most new cars do NOT have a problem with fumes normally venting from fuel system as they are run through charcoal canister. BUT if there is a leak in fuel system of car or gas can or lawnmower that is certainly the possibility of a explosion or fire from a concentration of fumes when you light torch. Paint thinners and lacquer thinners and other solvents are just as dangerous as gasoline when it comes to fire.

Its better to be safe than sorry... Why not ask DH to put up divider in garage and have a fume free area to torch in....

Dale M.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-11-11, 11:33am
Safety ALWAYS

My standard recommendation is to remove all vehicles, all gasoline using equipment, all cans of gasoline, paint, thinner, etc.

Vehicles and gasoline using equipment can certainly be returned when the torch has been turned off and the propane shut down.

(You ARE keeping your propane tank outside, aren't you?)

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-11, 11:45am
A True Woofer

I have my studio in the garage and I only torch in there if the cars are parked in the driveway. There wouldn't be room for me if the car was there anyway! I have the propane outside and disconnect my hose to the propane after every session.

Old 2005-11-11, 1:41pm

Default Yikes...I think I have a mess on my hands!

Oh gosh, thanks for all the advice! The car is actually a mid 60's Mustang (probably NOT considered a new car) AND the propane tank is set up in the garage. Now for the kicker....my husband is a painting contractor and keeps supplies in the garage. Why do I have a feeling I'm gonna need to rent a studio. Any ideas? Anyone? BOO HOO
Stacey
Old 2005-11-11, 2:06pm
Safety ALWAYS

Strike 1: old car
Strike 2: propane in the garage
Strike 3: Paint in the garage

Sorry Stacey! Get it all out and you can safely use the garage.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-11, 2:12pm
Dichro Addict

Mike,

You're awesome!!! Every time anyone (including me) posts a question about safety, you are always there to answer!!!! You have possibly saved me from blowing up my house. My propane is now outside, and I have a great ventilation system.
Thanks!!!
Lenora
Old 2005-11-11, 3:13pm

I took my vehicles out each time. Even the lawn mower. My insurance agent had no problem with the bbq and oxy tanks in the garage. He requested not lighting the torch while the possible added fuel (and insurance claim) was right there. I know people who do leave their vehicles in the garage and work. Some man I spoke with said the other flamable would/could be worse than the car because the car system should be a closed system. I moved everything out just to be safe.

(Huh. Since I've moved to my new temporary home I've worked near a $150,000 combine. I'm thinking the tractors and combines run on diesel, which may be a different issue.)
Old 2005-11-11, 3:26pm

Wow! Thank you, thank you for all the fantastic info. I'm not sure what to do now but I so appreciate all the advise. You guys are great. I am very glad I came here.
Stacey
Old 2005-11-28, 10:21am

Huh. I have a riding and a push lawn mower on the other side of the garage, I honestly didn't even think about it. I torched a couple times this last weekend with my jeep in the garage. (It's a pretty big garage) Guess I need to rethink...

Ana
Old 2005-11-28, 11:35am
Safety ALWAYS

yup