LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-11-29, 9:19am

Exclamation What is wrong with my torch!

Hope someone can help me here. Over the past week I have been noticing a gas smell when I have my torch lit - it is NOT there if the propane tank is turned on but the torch is off. Now my flame keeps putting out "sparks" of orange flame, as if it is not burning completely, and the gas smell is stronger. I'm using an older propane tank my DH hooked up for me when my other tank ran out - could it be due to "gunk" in the tank? Could I have gunk in my hoses - the tank is below the level of the torch and hoses. Or could I have a problem with my torch - it's a Bethlehem Piranha. I can't see anything abnormal on the face of the torch, and I've only had it since the end of July. Something is not right but I just don't know what. HELP!
Carol
Old 2005-11-29, 9:49am
Gentleman of Leisure

Three possible things... Any one or all...

Torch may need cleaning.

Possible gas leak at torch valve when valve open (around shaft-under knob)

Ventilation system is not functioning properly.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-11-29, 11:41am
Safety ALWAYS

You probably don't have "gunk" - that is a problem ONLY with fuel/air torches such as the Hot Head (unless you are using an old set that was used with a Hot Head torch).

I doubt seriously if the valves are leaking, but I'll bet that you have a small leak where the hose attaches to the torch itself. And I seriously doubt that the torch needs cleaning. A fuel/oxygen torch won't have a gas smell if it is "dirty".

Make up some soapy water (I like to use bubble blowing mix - you can get it direct from any grocery store), and spray it on all connections, both where there are threaded connections and where there are crimp connections. I am certain you will find it there.

The "sparks" you see are from carbon build up in the tubes. You are probably running a reduction flame (but you still won't smell gas! see above). You need to be running more of a neutral flame to eliminate the carbon build up.

Set your propane at 5 and your oxygen at 20 (mfgr recommendation for Piranha torch). Open the red valve and light the torch. Adjust the flame until it is about 6" long. Crack the blue valve open and begin to add oxygen. Keep on adding oxygen until the inner cones are no longer yellow and have only a very SMALL white tip. The total flame length should be about 8" long, and the inner cones should be only about the same size as the diameter of the glass rod you are working with.

To clean the torch from the carbon build up, you were provided with several stainless wires. Turn the oxygen ONLY on, and slide the wires inside the tubes and openings. Do this for all openings on the face of the torch. Close the oxygen valve, then light the torch as above.

Once the flame is adjusted properly, use a small tool and gently tap the body of the torch - this will dislodge any remaining carbon.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-29, 4:51pm
lov'in life!!!

Can you tell me what the model number is? There were 200 recalled for certain problems they were having. I had to return mine for the same problem you're having. Something about the seating valve, I think. The smell is coming from the back of the torch, right at the gas valve, right?

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".