Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-10, 6:45pm

Default Vetrofond Crystal Clear & encasing question

I used to use Lauscha clear for encasing and all of my beads cracked--I tried Vetrofond Crystal Clear and love it--my question is that all of my rods for the lauscha were smaller and the Crystal Clear are all 5-6mm. Does anyone know who sells Vetrofond Crystal Clear rods that are smaller in diameter and what is the best diameter rod to use for encasing? Thanks Brad
Old 2006-07-10, 6:53pm

I use a big fat 11mm rod for encasing but I suck at encasing so... LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-10, 6:55pm
ManBearPig

I use the larger Lauscha rods and haven't had a single problem. I keep hearing people say that beads encased with Lauscha crack, but as long as I put them into the kiln a little hotter than normal, I don't have any problems. I aslo anneal them at 1000 degrees, then ramp it down to 960, then ramp down normally.

Old 2006-07-10, 7:19pm

I batch anneal with Lauscha, I think it's practice that makes it work. I only used the moretti that came with my initial rod purchases, and lauscha ever since.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2006-07-10, 8:54pm

I have some Lauscha from probably 4 years ago now. I bought it when I first started making beads and heard how wonderful it was. Everybead (well only the big ones) I made with it cracked ... well I was a newbie and so therefore my technique was suspect. After a couple of months experienced bead makers started to post about their beads cracking too - turns out it was a bad batch. I switched to Vetrofond (which I get from Arrow Springs in a variety of widths) and hey presto - no cracking. I still have those horrible Lauscha rods ... umm ... perhaps I should sell them to those that have no problems - lol

Is it possible you have some of this deliciously frustrating to newbies and others alike? I'd love to sell you mine! Hey I have some of the much touted wonderful Kugler 104 which also cracks - perhaps I can sell that to you as well???

sadie

Old 2006-07-11, 4:58pm

Default thank you

thank you everyone for your help--if anyones know of a place that sells 3-4mm rods of Vetrofond Crystal Clear please tell me.
Old 2006-07-11, 10:27pm

Frantz has the smaller sizes. I use stringer for thin encasements and if I want a thicker encasing I wrap it againwith stringer. I cant encase worth a c@#p with a reg sized rod LOL. I love the Vetrofond too. Be sure to ask for clean rods! If not you may get some with junk in it. Also I clean it reall well and pre-tip several rods at a time so they are ready to use.
Old 2006-07-13, 5:17pm
Born on date: 11/3/09!

I use Lauscha... in a small diameter. The funny thing is I was going to buy some Vetrofond straight away because I heard it does not turn silver leaf into a gold color. Now I don't know if I want to because I do not want my beads to break!

The little love of my life...
Old 2006-07-14, 12:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorLigh
I use Lauscha... in a small diameter. The funny thing is I was going to buy some Vetrofond straight away because I heard it does not turn silver leaf into a gold color. Now I don't know if I want to because I do not want my beads to break!
Hmmm. I haven't tried silver with my super clear Vetro. yet. I've been using all my cruddy regular Vetro. with foil and frits because it's useless any other way. I do know that the regular vetro. DOES turn gold with silver. The super clear is the way to go if you want Vetro. but Lauscha is still the clearest IMO. They both cost about the same so why mess with a good thing.

Tracey

Listen to your inner voice. It knows what's it's talking about.