Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-16, 6:14pm

Question 14 oz Propane Tank Issue

Hello everyone first post. Anyway I have been using the 14 oz Map Gas containers for my hot head and when I went to get some more I picked up a 14 oz of propane. But I noticed when using it my clear glass gets this frosted look on it. Am I missing something or what? Thanks in advanced.
Old 2014-09-16, 6:36pm
Dynamic Duo

HotHeads and propane are not a good mix. Too much of the propane is not consumed by the flame, and hence the scum on beads. The temperature of flame when using propane on a hot head is not high enough to avoid this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-17, 12:29am

So what about when I stop with these small tanks? Isn't the gas that Ill use when switching to a large tank full of propane? So if what your saying is right how does that work?
Old 2014-09-17, 4:55am

I had no issues when I hooked my hothead to a large tank of propane. Try working further out in the flame. A lot of the time newbies (including me) start out working too close to the flames. It takes the dreaded "PPP" (practice, practice, practice) to learn to work with any torch. With the hh being the first torch a lot of us learn on, including me, there is a wealth of information available to you here on LE.

It didn't sound like soot was your issue. I'm not sure what you mean by a "frosted look." Do you have the ability to upload pictures of the bead/s in question?

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2014-09-17, 8:30am
hyperT

Add about 10% oxygen into the mix and you will have perfect mix for any soft glass.

The air only has about 21% usable oxygen so boost it a bit

Propane, Compressed Air or Drafted Air, A small amount of Oxygen, bleed it into the air line.

Last edited by hyperT; 2014-09-17 at 8:39am.
Old 2014-09-17, 8:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
Add about 10% oxygen into the mix and you will have perfect mix for any soft glass.

The air only has about 21% usable oxygen so boost it a bit

Propane, Compressed Air or Drafted Air, A small amount of Oxygen, bleed it into the air line.
Hotheads don't allow for oxy addition. The torch is specially designed to not need extra oxygen and it runs off tank pressure. The flames are very bushy but people do amazing things on hotheads.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2014-09-17, 10:31am
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Hotheads don't allow for oxy addition. The torch is specially designed to not need extra oxygen and it runs off tank pressure. The flames are very bushy but people do amazing things on hotheads.

Sue
Ok whatever you say just have fun ok.
Old 2014-09-18, 4:51am

They don't have an air line, so unless you're talking about modifying the torch first?

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-09-18, 6:15am

I too can't imagine what you mean by frosted look. Devitifying? Do you have a pressure regulator on the tank and if not do you know how much pressure those small propane bottles have?
When I started lampworking many years ago with a hothead torch and a propane tank, I was told to set the pressure regulator to 4 bar (~60 psi), but the more sensitive colors went a bit dirty with that. Now I know, that the ideal propane pressure for the Hothead is 2.5 bar (~35 psi). The flame is a little cooler with that setting, but the glass likes it like that. So maybe you're working with too much pressure?

Martina