LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-12-27, 8:41am
Now part of the Dark Side

Default Bethlehem Champion

Has anybody here had a chance to use one yet? I'd like to hear from you if you have.

Thanks
Old 2013-12-28, 12:01pm

OK so I have bought one but I am still in the process of setting it up. I did hook it up to my foot switch that I made for my bravo torch but only to test it out. I had to remove the plywood that I have the solenoids / connections mounted to from under the workbench because the Champion torch sits way taller than the Bravo and the hoses would not reach. I did light the Champion up and it looks awesome and does seem very hot. I have ordered some fittings and solenoids for another foot switch build but have not ordered any extension hoses yet or made any yet. I will post results of how I feel the torch works once I use it.

John aka "BIG JOHN"
Old 2014-01-01, 7:43am

Thanks for the update, I will wait with baited breath. It looks sweet in the videos and if it is anything like the Bravo it will be worh the $$$ they are asking for it. The scuttlebut is that Beth is making an even bigger torch.
Old 2014-01-06, 10:04pm

Default First Impressions

Well I finally got my new Champion torch up and running. Built a foot switch for it had some extension hoses made at my local weld supply store, and fired it up. My first thoughts were, it seemed to carbon up quite a bit, but I had to double check Bethlehem's web site for recommended pressures and I had the oxy down too low. I was running it at like 10 psi and it recommends 20 psi. I tried it out at 20 psi and it seemed to do a lot better although I believe the place I get my propane from sometimes seems to have dirtier propane, if that's possible . I am currently researching natural gas as a cleaner burning fuel, but would have to do cylinders as the g-tec natural gas boosters are out of my budget. I made a pretty large, I'd say about 2 inches +, compression paperweight and the torch had no problems melting the larger mass of solid glass. Personally, I absolutely love this torch I just need some more practice with it.That being said, I would also like even more heat so I likely should have waited for the Grand torch. When the budget permits though I do think I'll be getting my first GTT torch a GTT Kobuki. I may try the Mirage first as it would be more attainable price wise. I have to start selling some art work first, before I buy any more torches. I'm making a commitment to make something every weekend and to start trying harder to sell stuff and even learn to photograph the pieces. I'd like to eventually do this as more than a hobby but not quite making a living at it.

John aka "BIG JOHN"

Last edited by caliglassguy; 2014-01-06 at 10:10pm.
Old 2014-01-09, 12:09pm

Very cool! I hope that the Grand is a triple fire torch, but I'm not going to hold my breath. How does the Champion do as far as oxy consumption? I'd expect it to use more than the Bravo, I know that a 2 inch marble on the Bravo would take a while and use a fair amount of oxy.
Old 2014-01-09, 7:26pm

Default Beth Champ oxy use

It uses quite a bit of oxy set at the recommended 20 psi. I personally just invested in a home fill and am in the process of setting that up. Basically I'm awaiting a whip I ordered because I didn't want to build one. My whip will interconnect my three "k" tanks together and then go to a gauge and I will likely "Y" it off one side going to Bravo the other going to Champion. Though I'm not sure that will work if both torches are running at the same time?....if not I'll have to figure out how to connect. I may have to "Y" off one of the tanks directly from a gauge to the Bravo otherwise it would be over pressured I think...I don't know, will figure it out though.Hopefully once my homefill is up and running I will no longer be lugging "k" tanks to the weld store in the front seat or trunk of my Honda Accord ....yes I can see the look of on your faces lol.

John aka "BIG JOHN"
Old 2014-01-10, 8:52am

lol. i load t tanks into the trunk of my A6. it isn't easy, but it's cheaper then delivery service haha.
Old 2014-01-25, 7:11am

I made my first mib with my Champion this morning, aside from needing a bigger marble mold it went very well. I made an approximatly 1.75 inch galaxy from 19mm rod. IT took me 40 minutes for prep and to make the slug. Another 40 minutes for rounding, I'm sure I could shave 10-20 minutes off of that if I had a bigger infinite rim mold. I use about the same amount of oxy as Iwould have with the Bravo making the same thing in 1.5 inch size.

It gets a nice bushy flame and a good driving flame, it looks to be a good marble torch. The center fire alone is good for working larger boro, I used mainly the center fire to prep the 19mm for the dichro. The tilt mechanism is very smooth and easy to use and the torch STAYS PUT with out a locking screw. In fact you can't move the torch except my the knobs on the tilt mechanism.

What it doesn't have is the razor thin center fire flame that I can get with the Bravo. It would be very nice to have the room to leave both torches set up as they both have differing strengths.

Last edited by Dragonharper; 2014-01-25 at 11:12am.
Old 2014-01-25, 10:16am

Thanks Roy I've been waiting for your review.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2014-01-25, 11:15am

You are very welcome. If you are on tanked oxy it doesn't use nearly as much oxy as I expected, if you are on concentrators, good luck. If the rumored Grand is as good a torch, and hopefully a tripple fire not tripple mix, they will have a serious contender for the really big torch market. I'd love to get a base for my Bravo that is like the Champion.
Old 2014-01-25, 11:33am

What are the differences in the base, are you talking about the platform?

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2014-01-25, 11:38am

The steel plate is larger but the big difference is in the tilt mechanism. Where the Bravo has a set of botls to loosen and tighten the Champion has a system with a knob that is turned. See the Beth website for an image.

http://www.bethlehemburners.com/torc...n#.UuQFYqgo7bU

Last edited by Dragonharper; 2014-01-25 at 11:40am.
Old 2014-01-25, 12:23pm

I noticed they changed the Bravo's to something more logical.

Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]