No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-08-19, 2:45pm
Flame Glass Beads

Location: Panhandle of West Virginia somewhere between PA and OH
Default New talk on ventilation

I am still in the process of getting my exhaust installed. I have all the electric that I need but there was not time for the install on the fan. Now I have been almost a week waiting -({|= Im NOT whinning!!! I just havn't been able to work in awhile. The fan is 650 cfm's is that going to be enough to do what it needs to do to be safe?

The hole where the fan is going is only a table width away, straight in front and up slightly to replenish air is to the left of me.

Another subject. Is it possible to sell on Ebay and get waht your beads are worth? or is ebay to saturated? Does anyone feel that way? Or is it just plain good ol comptetition.Who ever has the most unique product...?

Sandi
Old 2005-08-19, 4:42pm
Gentleman of Leisure

650CDFM may or may not be enough..... What type of hood is it in, and what is sq.foot "face" opening of hood.... By the "simple" rule of 100CFM for each sqft of hood opening, you can probably have a hood that is about 2ft X 3ft....

Actually need more information on hood size, how high it will be above work surface, what size ducting you are using, how many turns involved in getting duct from hood to outside...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-08-20 at 8:28am. Reason: spelling
Old 2005-08-20, 6:17am

Hey There Sandra!
I too am new to lampworking. I was mostly making polymer clay beads, but wouldn't be satisfied until I tried glass, since I love making beads. All I can say is there are a lot of beautiful beads on ebay. I think it just depends on the individual in what catches their eye and what they're willing to pay, and what you're willing to sell them for. Go for it Sandra, best of luck and happy selling!
Old 2005-08-20, 10:04am
Flame Glass Beads

Dale,
I dont know what the opening is going to be but it is a outside mounting for the motor, and I have no hood .It is a commercial fan though. I forgot to mention that there is no hood that is why I wanted to know if it would provide the safty needed.
Sandi
Old 2005-08-20, 11:08am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra j ziolkowski
Dale,
I dont know what the opening is going to be but it is a outside mounting for the motor, and I have no hood .It is a commercial fan though. I forgot to mention that there is no hood that is why I wanted to know if it would provide the safty needed.
Sandi
The problem with just putting a fan in a hole in the wall, is that there is nothing to confine the draft the fan creates to suck out gases you want to remove... Either a hood with baffles on sides or a "Barley Box" type enclosure is highly desirable to control air flow and usually allow you to use a smaller more dedicated fan/blower to get desired effect....

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...08&postcount=4
http://www.barleybeads.com/linkaboutme2.htm

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-08-20, 6:41pm
Flame Glass Beads

Barb,
Thanks for the encouragement concerning ebay. Im going to start looking for a hood to match the fan and just get it over with. Im getting really frustrated not being able to work and create. Although this time has been spent making some nice pins with orphan beads.
We'll talk again
Sandi