Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-04-26, 8:23pm
Covered in glitter

Default Murinni

If I bought murinni by the inch could I use my little electric tube saw to cut it? It's the little one from Harbor Freight used to cut tubing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-04-26, 8:45pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I don't think it will cut it unless you have a diamond blade. But not totally sure on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-26, 8:48pm
I speak Murrini!

What diameter is it Deb? Is it a whopper?

Don't know if you saw this vid yet...kind of an interesting way to do the plunge and snap with murrini in boro...but probably only best for stuff up to about 8-10mm at the largest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGSur8BKhBo

De

(I'll sneak back to the 104 world now...)

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-26, 8:52pm
Super Duper

You could probably cut it, but you would end up with a lot of waste and potential chipping. On top of that, all saws leave a rough cut that needs to be polished or it will scum up when put into the flame.
Normally when one cuts with a saw you have an extremely thin lapidary blade and then spend a few hours polishing each slice, which is why it is only done for very large pieces.

If you are extremely careful I've heard you can flame polish the cuts but I've never had any luck (they just flop around and scum anyways). You can also tumble polish the slices if you have enough of them (at least several feet).

So the short answer is don't bother, nippers can be frustrating but they are really the only option. The plunge and snap thing works nicely as well, perhaps even better than using slices.
Old 2010-04-26, 10:20pm
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
If I bought murinni by the inch could I use my little electric tube saw to cut it? It's the little one from Harbor Freight used to cut tubing.
tool...harbor freight...what? link? picture? awesome?

Old 2010-04-27, 6:00am
ManBearPig

It depends on the size of them. I cut mine with my disc cutters. I had a set of end cutters, but I lost them. They worked really well.

I've also taken the entire murrini and attached it to a clear rod. Then I heat the spot I want to apply it, stick the murrini to it, wiggle it back and forth, and it will break off leaving just enough behind to see it. Works like a charm. Kind of tricky with larger diameter pieces though.

Old 2010-04-27, 10:41am
Covered in glitter

These are small, about 2-6 mm. I don't have any yet but before I bought them I thought I'd ask. I do the spot heat with soft glass so I'll try it with the boro. Thanks!

I'll see if I can find the link for the little saw. I got it in the store so I'm not sure.
That was easy...http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42307

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-04-27, 2:16pm
product of the universe

you can do what cosmo said and after you attach the milli cool the spot where you want it to snap with a pair of pliers,scissors or something metal and it will snap very easily.
I purchased a pair of disk nips from devardi that have a super thin blade that work very well. If you want some milli to practice with i may have some scrap ends left around here i could send ya.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-04-27, 3:05pm
Covered in glitter

Chris I'd love them! I also want to buy some more murrini from you. I've used most of the ones I got already. LOL I love them! Do you have any that look kind of 'coral reef' like? I'll PM you.

Old 2010-04-27, 4:58pm

You could always check on clear rod. Easy to tell the surface finish. You could also use it to practice with your tile nippers.

Old 2010-04-27, 5:09pm
Type ZZZ personality

I don't know about the saw, but I have fire polished saw cut murini before applying to a pendant. You just have to work fairly cool and carefully.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons