Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2005-12-22, 11:30am

Question Torches

Being a newbie, I started with a fireworks kit, including the torch. My question is would there be any advantage in purchasing a HotHead, or is it basicly equal?
I can't afford to upgrade to a dual gas torch yet, considering the rest of the equipment required.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Torbett; 2005-12-22 at 7:25pm. Reason: Started in the wrong forum
Old 2005-12-23, 12:14am
I fart diamonds

HH's last longer (from what I've heard, FW don't last long at all while a HH will keep up the good work for years), burn cleaner and a bit hotter. (At least this is the case with the FW & HH torches I have)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-12-23, 4:42am
Safety ALWAYS

I used to sell the Fireworks torch, under the name "Quiet Torch". We sold a lot of these torches while the Hot Head people were having production problems.

There a couple of issues with the Fireworks torch:

1. The built-in lighter doesn't last very long - it is poorly designed.

2. The "spud" that controls how much fuel actually enters the so-called combustion chamber is non-removable without totally disassembling a very complex torch head. Once the spud is even partially plugged from tank debris and/or "gunk", the torch is basically useless.

It was a great idea for a torch, but in my personal opinion, poorly designed and manufactured by people who had absolutely no idea on the needs of glassworkers much less the way torches work. It appears to me as if there was no pre-market intensive testing which would have shown that there was a problem with the lighter and the spud.

Personally, I'd toss the Fireworks and buy a Hot Head.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-12-23, 8:06am

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling the H/H was a little hotter from reading other threads. I have another question about torches. I don't see anything about using acetylene gas. Why?
Old 2005-12-23, 8:27am
Safety ALWAYS

In a word: DIRTY. Acetylene is a dirty filthy gas to work with. It may be hotter, but the soot is unbelievable.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-12-23, 9:26am

Thanks Mike. Having done a lot of welding over the years, I thought that might be the case. You can see this when lighting before turning on the oxy.