Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-08-24, 1:11pm
Loving learning

Default RZ Mask

A pottery friend linked this review of a different type of filtration mask:

http://potteryblog.com/2012/08/tool-review-rz-mask/

and I was wondering if anyone had tried it or researched it for using with enamels, etc. I don't have a background that gives me insight into all of the information and how it would apply to glass.

I've only used enamels a few times, and used an N95 paper mask from HD so far. I've also made frit a few times using the pound it inside a metal tube with a home made cruncher method, and that is another time I should probably be using a mask.
Old 2012-09-09, 8:30pm
Ambivitreous

Hi Eileen. Just wanted to put in my couple cents worth. I'm The respiratory protection program administrator for a university. I deal with a lot of different brands and types of masks, but I'm not familiar with this one. I wouldn't trust a respirator that has not been NIOSH certified. I'm also concerned about the overall validity of a review written by someone who admits she is not an expert, and demonstrates her lack of knowledge in the statement about the husband with the full beard wearing what would be considered a "tight fitting" respirator---there is simply no way a reliable seal can be formed with facial hair in the way. Period. (The only options for those with full beards are a Powered Air Purifying Respirator with a hood, or a Supplied Air Respirator with a hood.)

As a point of information, The only way to determine what respirator fits you properly is to try a number of them, find the one that seems to seal the best, and then have a formal fit test done (check in the phone book for Industrial Hygienists or occupational safety consultants). Unless you have been successfully fit tested, you simply cannot be sure the mask is sealing properly. The simple +/- pressure check is not adequate as it does not stress the seal or test it under dynamic conditions. If the seal is not reliable, you're going to be exposed to the contaminant you're trying to protect against. If you're working with stuff that requires you to wear a respirator, you really need to do it right.

Hope that helps!
Phil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2012-09-09, 8:42pm
Loving learning

Phil,
I would never have thought of any of that, so thank you for your knowledgeable response!

Tags
respirator, safety