No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-11-25, 9:27am
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you for the info!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-11-25, 1:19pm
Sheila Davis Designs

This is all you fault Roo! I just ordered 2 new heart presses from Bavarian Beads! I got the classic flat one and one with 3 graduated sizes...15, 18, and 20mm. EEEEE!

Old 2012-11-25, 5:28pm

Default My first pressed heart

OMGosh it took at least an hour and a whole lotta glass....but I love it. Hopefully it will go quicker next time
I've been enjoying this thread, can't wait to see what all ya'll post. Get to work lol-

And Roo...I just have a "few"
(sorry for the hugh picture...resized it to Small I'd hate to see the big size...oops)
Attached Images

Old 2012-11-25, 6:33pm
Melody of Glass

Gorgeous! I'm going to get my sleeping bag and hang out by the mailbox.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-11-25, 6:51pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Wow! It looks like a glacier.

Old 2012-11-25, 6:57pm

lol thanks...it even has air bubbles I suppose it could have been worse I still need practice encasing. I used up some crapy clear up for the base.
Old 2012-11-25, 6:58pm
Melody of Glass

Lois, which press is that?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-11-25, 8:41pm

Well it was sold to me as the Bavarian 3D...but my pins are both on one side and not caddy corner like normal. I suppose it could be ordered that way. I really is easier to line up for sure
I can't wait for ya'll to be posting!
Old 2012-11-25, 9:41pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post

Gorgeous! I'm going to get my sleeping bag and hang out by the mailbox.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-11-25, 9:45pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
This is all you fault Roo! I just ordered 2 new heart presses from Bavarian Beads! I got the classic flat one and one with 3 graduated sizes...15, 18, and 20mm. EEEEE!
Wait...what!?
phhhtttt....fine but next time we're in trouble it's your fault.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Last edited by Roo Blaty; 2012-11-26 at 8:23am.
Old 2012-11-25, 9:51pm
...displaced ocean lover

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Oops View Post
OMGosh it took at least an hour and a whole lotta glass....but I love it. Hopefully it will go quicker next time
I've been enjoying this thread, can't wait to see what all ya'll post. Get to work lol-

And Roo...I just have a "few"
(sorry for the hugh picture...resized it to Small I'd hate to see the big size...oops)
Lois, really pretty, which press is it? An hour? I bought a press to make hearts go quicker!YIKERS

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-26, 5:49am

lol I know, I thought about you and your shaping guicker remark. Even the graduated hearts press takes some time but I'm hoping it will get faster the more I do them. The biggest challeges are in judging the amount of glass and going back and filling in spaces. But hey that's me .

Hey Roo who did you order your Lauscha glass from? I worked with some recently for the 1st time and I love it! Can you show me Roo what your reds look like please, please, pretty please?
Old 2012-11-26, 7:54am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Oops View Post
lol I know, I thought about you and your shaping guicker remark. Even the graduated hearts press takes some time but I'm hoping it will get faster the more I do them. The biggest challeges are in judging the amount of glass and going back and filling in spaces. But hey that's me .

Hey Roo who did you order your Lauscha glass from? I worked with some recently for the 1st time and I love it! Can you show me Roo what your reds look like please, please, pretty please?
I haven't gotten to play with the presses yet.

And I will look Lois, but I don't think I have any of the red hearts left from BeadFest. They all sold! I only made 4 or 5... I put a viney SIS on some and made flowers (ala Joan/J2Canoe) on one, put murrini "flowers" on another, vines (ala Kerri Fuhr) on a couple others.... anyway, that's why I started my hunt for the perfect heart press. B/c those sold so quickly and were a PITA to shape by hand.
Like I said at the beginning of the thread, I'm not really a heart-person but I think the shape is really fun to decorate and that red is just luscious and looks wonderful with SIS.

You probably think I took photos of all my hearts when photographing BeadFest inventory but no. I didn't take pics of any of it! I was too freaked out trying to make sure I HAD enough "sets" of shapey bead-beads. For some reason I was afraid people wouldn't be interested in sock monkeys, sea turtles, snowmen and sorting hats but THEY WERE! I'm still glad I had some sets and bead-beads for them to buy as well!

I get the Lauscha from Paula and she's a peach! She shipped quickly - nothing at all was even chipped! She answered all my pm's and emails (I had quite a few questions )
http://www.flamedame.com/

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Last edited by Roo Blaty; 2012-11-26 at 7:57am.
Old 2012-11-26, 8:24am
...displaced ocean lover

Just saw this this morning...yer killin' me Stiles!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=235516

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-26, 9:22am

Thanks for the info Roo.and yeah ya never know whats gona sale do ya? Glad Bead Fest was a success for you - yeeeaaaa...now you can get busy for next year lol

That new press is cool too...I'm not really a heart person but there seems to be an interest in them.
Old 2012-11-26, 10:05am
...displaced ocean lover

I hear the mailman's vehicle!!! Dashing out to accost him!

I want my presses from Germany, too!! They were mailed the 17th so what's the darn hold up??

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-26, 10:11am
...displaced ocean lover

nothing again today....

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-26, 5:29pm
Melody of Glass

Got an email today. It was completely in German except for two lines:

"---order shipped---
Thank you very much again!!!"

Woo hoo! Let the mailman stalking begin.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-11-26, 7:18pm
...displaced ocean lover

Yes...(smarty pants) I got that one, too.

I guess since the one from Holland got here I figured Germany was next. As in next day. Or next day. I'm cranky.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-26, 9:36pm

did anyone see the new heart press bavarian beads has out now? She has a thread about it in the Sale Rack Section I think.

Old 2012-11-26, 9:43pm

It's killer isn't iit?/ I love that it's off set like that
Old 2012-11-27, 11:08am
...displaced ocean lover

Another day of glaring at the postman as he puts only letters and magazines into my mailbox.

Where is my package? Is Germany on Holiday or maybe there's a postal strike I haven't heard about?? I can't figure out how my presses from Holland could arrive soooo much sooner than the German ones???

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-29, 10:45am
...displaced ocean lover

Unhappy

Ok, my favorite kind of heart press is the one that arrived first. .....I ordered from Germany and Holland on the same day.

I wouldn't be worried or even expect it yet if the one from Holland which was was mailed later, has already arrived.

If one of you gets your press can you let me know? I'm starting to fear that my press is lost

thanks!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-11-29, 4:45pm
Melody of Glass

If it accidentally got diverted to Canada, I'll be sure to let you know!

I'll post when I get mine but I'm assuming it will be another week or two. Not sure how long it typically would take.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-11-29, 4:46pm

@roo customs is mostly the one that keeping the package for longer. Further when bavarian beads sends to the netherlands ( holland) she uses a dhl with a subcarrier. It takes its time. German postal service is normally fast. I think maria louise used the dutch postal service.
I had once a broken package ,with one press lost. Bavarian beads send that one later on. Both ladies give great service

Visit my Etsy:

Visit My ebay:
Old 2012-11-29, 4:50pm

When I ordered several yrs ago. It took about 3wks; then.Customs is always usually the hold up. Not Bavarian. Her service is fast. She let me know she had shipped it.
Holland is always faster.
Janet

Last edited by Janetlee; 2012-11-29 at 4:55pm. Reason: typo fixed
Old 2012-11-29, 8:43pm
...displaced ocean lover

Ok ladies! Thanks I'll relax a little.

Daphne, I think it just was such a shock to have the one from Holland/Maria Louisa so fast. But here's the thing, when I lived in Germany, we visited Rotterdam on a day trip...so I KNOW they aren't that far away from each other! (I'm cursing customs )

Melody.... don't make me come to Canada, eh? Too cold for me.
I hear you all have those mythical animals called "Moose". Myself, I don't believe in them...I've never seen them in real life, even in a zoo!! I think they are like Big Foot. He's not in the zoo either!

Janet, I'll wait another week then b/f I panic. The postman could probably use a break from the stalking and glaring.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-12-01, 11:41am
Melody of Glass

They came! They came!

Picked them up this morning on my way for a dog walk. I wanted to go straight home to torch but would have had one unhappy dog. Doing a bit of running around after our hike and will be hitting the torch this aft. One week to make the custom press and one week in the mail.

Roo, I suspect customs thinks you are planning heart-shaped terrorism of some sort and are inspecting yours thoroughly to make sure you're not. Hope you get them soon!

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-01, 4:30pm
Melody of Glass

For anyone on the fence......Bavarian Beads has a bunch of new presses and tons of presses on sale right now.

Would have been a big savings for me had I known! Oh well.....off to torch.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-01, 7:36pm
Melody of Glass

Tested out all four of my BB presses today and had a blast. The presses themselves are beautiful. Very well-made.

Here's the scoop:

The skull is the easiest. The only tricky part is that it is bottom-heavy in the mold. I made a couple of practice ones and then a glow-in-the-dark one for my nephew for Christmas. Hoping it comes out well!

Love the ammonites. I made one the size of a small focal and a good bracelet-sized one. A touch tricky to get the tail portion right but not bad at all to use

Love the heart. Made a 3 cm heart without much trouble. The shape is great.

Struggled a touch with the bone. One end does not look great. It's tougher to get right but I'm sure with a little ppp, I'll be making them without any issue. It was my last bead for the eve.

The ones with lobes out longer then the body like the heart and the bone took me a lot of pressing and adding glass to get those parts filled out.

Hoping the kiln fairies are kind and I can post pics tomorrow!

Coming soon...

Tags
heart presses, hearts