Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-19, 11:17am

Default What's your favorite bead release?

I presently use some of the flame dry stuff, and that is fine for smaller to average sized beads, but when I want to make a real honker of a bead the bead release always ends up breaking. What's your favorite bead release, and if you make really large beads, does it hold up well without giving you too many plant stakes?
Old 2007-06-19, 11:45am
thinking4myself

I'd like to hear what everyone uses, too I make big beads, and there's nothing I hate worse than bead release that cracks after I've used up two 20" rods of glass and anywhere from 30-45 minutes to melt that base glob so I can start sculpting. If it happens when I'm almost done, that's one thing-- just hold my breath and try to finish up without the cracked release breaking any further. The bead release that has worked so far for me is Super Blue Sludge. I can't say it never breaks, but when it does it's probably when I've thinned it too much. Also, I finally learned to put down as wide a footprint as I think I'm going to need as soon as possible. It's harder to keep everything warm, but it also seems to keep me from drying and flaking the uncovered bead release before I get to that area of the mandrel. Hope that made some sense.
Old 2007-06-19, 12:05pm

I am very much a newbie, but I love Foster Fire! Just get a bottle last week and no flaking or stuck beads!
I wish I had found it sooner.
Beth
Old 2007-06-19, 12:17pm
Entropy increasing....

I got some Foster Fire heavy duty and I love it. I had to thin it a bit, but so far I'm liking it better than the Bucket o'mud.
Old 2007-06-19, 12:21pm

I mix my BOM with some Sludge Plus and my cracking and flaking problems have almost disappeared. Tried the Foster Fire but still got a fair amount of flaking but I think I just need to thin it some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela Kane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2007-06-19, 12:24pm

I Foster Fire!

HH w/bulk Mapp since May'07!
Old 2007-06-19, 12:37pm

BOM here - i love it! I used Foster Fire heavy duty before, which was nice, but BOM works even better for me.
verena

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2007-06-19, 12:52pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I've been using BOM & Super Sludge combination.....very little breaking and no flaking....but I'm having a TERRIBLE time getting my beads off....even have to have DH do some of them....suggestions?

Old 2007-06-19, 12:56pm
Entropy increasing....

The beads come off so easy with the Foster Fire. I just wet them and twist.
Old 2007-06-19, 1:18pm
Shine your bright side!

I use BOM and the new Foster Fire Smooth and Tuff.
The FFST is better when using bead presses I think.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-06-19, 4:07pm
The Crazy One

FPI fusion baby! I can dip it and a month later it never let's me down! This stuff works with ounceS of glass for a base bead and I sculpt on that. I'll bend mandrels and it rarely gives way. When it occaionally does I use a Booger bridge and finish it up.

It air or flame dry, which is great when I find myself outta the dipped dudes. I've tried other releases and keep comming back to this old standard.

Your mileage may vary. Weather conditions effect bead releases so find what works your your area. I live near the beach in So. CA and found this to be the best for the torture I put my glass through.
Old 2007-06-19, 4:50pm
da General

I use Sludge for average size beads, Sludge Plus for Boro. Foster Fire for long beads (only up to 3 1/2") and Kragg Mudd for transparent beads.

I guess I have commitment issues!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-06-19, 5:51pm

I mix any of the Sludges with any white release (no graphite). BOM, thick kilnwash, whatever. I can't use straight BOM. It's too humid here or something. Makes a nice mix though.

Old 2007-06-19, 6:00pm
thinking4myself

Loco, what in the heck is a Booger bridge?? I'm trying to decide if it's some sort of hollow across the flaking release if you're just starting a bead and don't want to give it up?
Old 2007-06-20, 5:31am

FPI Fusion 104 and boro - never fails for me. Love it. I'm in the northeast - humid & hot or darn cold sometimes ... it always works ... air dry ...flame dry mostly because I like to dip and work... and the mandrels can hang out for days before I get to work with them. No difference... can make lots of little beads on one mandrel - or - one big honker... very dependable.

Sals
Old 2007-06-20, 6:09am
Glass my new Obsession

I am loving the Fosterfire Smooth n Tuff!It works beautifully for me even here in humid ole Missouri! BOM is also a favorite but it is too humid here to use it right now.
Tina

Old 2007-06-21, 9:03am
The Venerable Bead

I'm a convert I was mixing Fusion with foster fire boro but I switched over to sludge plus and I have been mixing the foster fire with that and I love it.

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-06-21, 10:53am

Foster fire. Works great for me.
Old 2007-06-21, 10:58am
make beads not war

Definite convert to Foster Fire Smooth and Tuff. That stuff just will not break and you can simply twist beads off the mandrel.
Old 2007-06-21, 7:09pm
Dangerous Woman

The Smooth and Tuff is WONDERFUL!!!!!! I can take the beads off without even soaking them and the beads clean out like a dream!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-06-21, 8:08pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Sludge Plus and Fusion

Old 2007-06-28, 12:56pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

I mix the sludge with fusion, love it!!
I do not love fosterfire, it always causes bubbles in my glass, nothing seems to change that.