Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-11-17, 6:53am

Default My new studio ~ I'm living the high life now

I have worked in some grungy cardboard-walled, crawl through the neighbor's porch to get to the musty cellar type of spaces. I have mostly always worked in someone else's space so this is extra special for me. This one is small, 10' x 12' was all I could have but I am the only one working there besides guests so it will do nicely. Propane is finally hard lined in. I am really excited about my cold air bench intake combined with the small insulated space which should make the winters in MN easy and toasty. I got a new kiln F130 and it works great. Wi Fi and 2 stations on the TV so I can watch the Vikings on Sundays.

Here are some pictures of the studio and a picture of a grappa wine glass .. a xmas present the first thing made in the new shack.

I figure living so high off the hog with sheet rock on the walls, a kiln with a working guillotine door and Wi Fi in the shop I am going to have to work my ass off (sorry) for the next five years to be able to justify all the excessities (ha, ha).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-17, 7:07am

Very Nice!! What is the sheet metal (?) piece at the back of the bench next to the TV? I like the wine glass too!
Old 2007-11-17, 7:09am

OOOOOOHHHHH.....NICE!!!!!...that is a very cool space. GREAT ventilation! nice working space.....you'll make a lot of nice glass pieces in there. Enjoy.
Old 2007-11-17, 7:42am
Flamewoman

Your studio looks quite cozy! I'm sure you will enjoy years of happy melting there.
Please tell us more about your ventilation system. What size hood and blower did you use? I see your vent in the bench top, where is it coming from? What are the metal things behind the bench? Looks like an 8 inch vent pipe, what does that do? and the sheet metal to the left, what is the function of that? I am working on a similar project , just curious about ventilation. We are finding we need 3 vents in the table top for makeup air,(our blower is 800 cfm) does your one vent provide enough air? Do you open a window?
Congrats!!!!!

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2007-11-17, 8:59am
birdergirl ~o~

I would love to see a close up shot of your work tabletop so I can see the cold air intake pipe .Is it the same size pipe as the exhaust pipe? Is it round all the way to outside or does it change to a rectangle below the desktop? I need to put one in too, to keep me warmer in Maine!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-11-17, 9:00am

I have a fan that pulls at maybe around 1450 cfm at .5 SP - it's an adjustable fan. I am using 10" ducting. The sheet metal behind the torch was a back splash for the back bottom of the hood, but I found that it just created turbulence with my intake so I took it down. Stuck it on the wall because sometimes I crank up my torch and I sometimes angle my torch for my needs, it's just got one screw on it - it swivels. I found that for proper air flow I needed to crack a vent in the opposite wall just a bit to get proper air flow suction patterns around the hood.

Old 2007-11-17, 9:04am

I have the intake coming straight from below the floor of the shed. Kinda nice to do with the shed style. It is rectangle, 12"x8" . I know you can work with either rectangle or with round that connects to a rectangle. A heating place would have the parts for it. You should try to make your intake a little larger than your exhaust ducting.

Old 2007-11-17, 9:26am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

That is SO cool! I bet you're happy as a clam working out there! I know I sure would be!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-11-18, 8:01am
Smooches!

Awesome studio space! You deserve it!

Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2007-11-18, 9:51am
Salt Box Beads

YIPPEE!! Good for you.

PERFECT example of what to do when building a new studio from the ground up.

Again WELL DONE and enjoy your new studio space.

Lorraine
Old 2007-11-18, 11:05am

It's sooooooo cool. I wish to have a shack like that. I saw that you have electricity outlet for your tv and phone. MN is very cold in the winter, do you have heater? I have to ask because i'm in MN too, suburb of TC.
Chau.
Old 2007-11-18, 12:34pm

Yep, I got a 2800 watt electric heater (normal space heaters are 1/2 that). It will cost me about $.25/hr to run at full power but it has a thermostat and with the insulation it should be pretty efficient.

Old 2007-11-25, 12:58am
Corgi Cult Member

Fantastic studio! Have fun in there!

Old 2007-11-25, 9:22pm

Great job Drew!
Old 2007-11-27, 5:47am

You setup is very nice. I wish I could arrange a similar intake system. Not possible for me. But, you've got me thinking.
Joan
Old 2007-11-28, 9:06pm

Awesome space!

HH w/bulk Mapp since May'07!
Old 2007-11-29, 10:00pm

Congratulations on your new space, it looks so cozy!

Old 2007-12-08, 8:47pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

I'm envious! I've been eyeballing those Tuff Sheds for a while now. You know that some of them even have LOFTS?? Way cool. Congratulations, Drew!

Patty

Old 2007-12-08, 9:52pm
Anyone need some spacers?

That is a well thought out space you have.

Old 2007-12-12, 1:50pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Great space Drew! Can I ask, what is the black drawers thingy under your kiln? I am going to be building my new studio soon and am looking for something like that for glass storage.

Thanks,

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2007-12-18, 6:56am
Formerly "HillyBeads"

Does the intake air come up through an opening in the bench top? I have been thinking about a better way to get makeup air into my studio--one that doesn't turn the entire back of me into an iceblock like the open a window system I have now. Have you ever had any hot glass pop off and go down the hole? Nice studio--it looks like a great place to work.

Laura
Old 2008-01-04, 6:57am
Pyromaniac

I'm not understanding the makeup air question in heated spaces-- I've got a garage studio so the garage door opening is my makeup air. But in a closed space that you are trying to keep heated or cooled, how do you accomplish that and still bring in adequate makeup air? Seems like it would be difficult to keep the temperature stable with outside air coming in. Is is just a vent? Thanks.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-01-22, 8:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspuppet View Post
I Propane is finally hard lined in. ]
Excuse my ignorance, but could you explain how you accomplished this? I am remodeling my stained glass studio to accommadate my torch as well. This set up looks ideal for me. I was wondering if I was going to have to run in and out to deal with the propane, turning on and off, bleeding lines etc. TIA Pam

Old 2008-01-30, 2:43pm

I think the beer bottle by the computer is a great decorative touch!! LOL Having satelite (sp) TV in your studio is soo cool.. You don't feel cut off from the outside world. I love watching it while I am torching... and hubby comes out to visit and watch news when he takes a break.
Great vent setup you have going there. I need to work on mine some.. Notice where my priorities lie?? No lectures now, please.

Old 2008-01-30, 3:18pm

I'm so jealous!
Old 2008-01-30, 3:47pm
William Hagy

Great space and ventilation! is that copper you using for propane? reason I ask is that its common for black iron pipe for gas and copper for o2.

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.