LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-25, 7:21pm

Default Seashell Swirl replacement

Is there anything out there to replace Vetrofond Seashell swirl? (Or does anybody have a huge stash, hate it, and want to sell it to me?)

Ditto for River Rock. Oh I miss River Rock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-06-25, 7:22pm
Lampworkaholic!

Do you have any White Lotus? I would be happy to do a trade.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-25, 7:28pm

Sorry but no

Old 2012-06-25, 7:49pm
aka Deborah Spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhoust View Post
Is there anything out there to replace Vetrofond Seashell swirl? (Or does anybody have a huge stash, hate it, and want to sell it to me?)

Ditto for River Rock. Oh I miss River Rock
Frantz still has Seashell Swirl for sale at 50% off... http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=4269

Old 2012-06-25, 7:52pm

Oh my, really? Thank you! I don't usually shop at Franz cause I live in Canada and get dinged on import fees but... I think it's worth it in this case

Old 2012-06-25, 7:56pm
aka Deborah Spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Do you have any White Lotus? I would be happy to do a trade.
What do you like about White Lotus Elizabeth?

Old 2012-06-25, 10:44pm
dances with ideas...

In my very limited experience, CIM desert pink is similar to seashell swirl.

Old 2012-06-26, 6:58am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I have some but I don't remember it having pink. Also, I think it's just a small amount. Would you be willing to share why you think it's special? I wasn't very impressed..
Old 2012-06-26, 12:30pm
Lampworkaholic!

Hot Glass Color also has Seashell Pink. They are very good about giving you the best shipping rates. http://hotglasscolor.com/seashellswirl.aspx

I'm not sure yet what I like about White Lotus. I only had a short rod and I just tried it yesterday. I made 2 spacers with silver scrolls and the silver fumed the White Lotus. I want to play with it some more. I know it is silly to get attached to a one-time color ...

It appears to be an odd lot of Tongue Pink. I am going to have to see it that one fumes as well.

As for Seashell Swirl, it is a very pretty base color for frit, especially for pinks and purples.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-26, 6:20pm
aka Deborah Spence

I just deleted a post where I was incorrect about saying that White Lotus is not Effetre... It IS... I was kindly enlightened and didn't want to spread my in-correctness. humm... In-correctness isn't a word but seems to suit the situation lol.

Old 2012-06-26, 7:41pm
I like to melt things

If its not the pinkness you're in love with, Reichenbach Porcelain has some similar reactions with other colors... And you can even make Porcelain turn pink if you use Raku with it.

CiM Desert Pink is a similar shade of pink. It's reactions are a little different but it's not a bad substitution.

Lauscha Faded Rose, Dusty Lilac and Orchid are all sort of similar in hue and while the reactions are a bit different might be what you are looking for.

I have test results for all of these colors, as well as Seashell SwIrl on my blog if you want to have a look.

-
-
Old 2012-06-27, 9:18am
The Andrea Half

Going to look, as SS is my absolute basic go-to color for a bse for everything. I bought out Flame Tree's supply when Vetrofond announced that it went out of business ....

Old 2012-06-27, 9:27am

White Lotus is not from Effetre, it is from Rocio (Precision) and I believe I saw a post here a couple of days ago that he had found a small batch and was wanting to sell it.

It's to be used under silver glasses, especially under the blue silver glasses, brings out more of their color.

Kathie

Old 2012-06-27, 1:51pm

I just bought several pounds from Franz. The shipping was a little steep and I will probably get dinged on the duty fees but... oh well. The glass was a really good price there at least, and now I will have enough to last me for a good long while.

I tend to use it as a base for pink and purple frits, and I usually use it in a thin layer overtop another colour - so I don't use a LOT of it at once. But it is soo pretty with the right frits. I am sad it's gone.

Is Vetrofond really closing down altogether?

Old 2012-06-27, 1:54pm
Lampworkaholic!

White Lotus was exclusively sold by Rocio and Ron, however it is/was made by Effetre.

Most of the silver glass sold by Rocio was made by Northstar/Precision and some was made by TAG. Northstar named a glass for her, Rocio's Ivy. Rocio also renamed some of the glass, for example Precision Rembrandt became Miro and TAG Dalai Lama become Dali.

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2012-06-27 at 1:57pm.
Old 2012-06-27, 2:32pm

Default white lotus

If you work white lotus long enough in the flame it turns pink.

Old 2012-06-27, 4:03pm
Lampworkaholic!

I'm pretty sure White Lotus is an odd lot of Tongue Pink, just based on the one short rod of it that I had in my stash.