Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-02, 7:04am
Kerry with a Y not I

Default Give me the scoop on regulators!!

Hey all you techie gurus!

I am upgrading from a HH to a Bobcat. I have been researching the extra equipment needed to get it running. The thing stumping me is regulators. The welding supply store I use suggests a set of American made ones, that they insist are the best quality, at $100 each. Then there are the ones I see in glass product stores for $70-$80 each... and then there are the Harbor Freight ones for $20.

Are all regulators created equal? What should I be looking for? Any I should stay away from?

Thanks so much!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Written by ME! ~ Available March 2010 from Interweave Press

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
&
Old 2007-04-02, 7:19am
Surrounded by Trouble

hey Kerry,

Dale M IS a great Source of Info and I found this thread he wrote a while ago on regulators. So I have posted this link for you. It does have some info in it on how to use your regulators correctly without damaging them as many people can do easy especially their oxygen ones. Things to looks for when considering buying a new ones as one of the most important things is what PSI you need for the size of tanks your going to use.
Also there is also another link in there to Arrowsprings where there is more info for you to read. Hope it helps some.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ght=regulators

Old 2007-04-02, 7:37am
Kerry with a Y not I

Thank you so much Shawn!

&
&
Old 2007-04-02, 7:47am
Surrounded by Trouble

Did it have what you were looking for in it Kerry?

Old 2007-04-02, 8:07am

Kerry, I think this is one of those times when you get what you pay for. For the most part, the more expensive regulators control the pressure better, especially for the low pressure applications, which is where we beadmakers generally operate. I think Victor is one of the manufacturers that are considered really good, and there are others, I just don't recall the names.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2007-04-02, 8:20am
Gentleman of Leisure

Pam is "right on" on this, the better quality more expensive regulators are best.

Stay a way from "no-name" or "china" regulators...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-04-02, 8:20am
Button Queen

Smith and Victor are both good names. I got my Smith regulators, brand new, at the welding supply place for about $100 for the pair (not each). You DO want to make sure they will work for low pressures. And there IS a small difference between a regulator made for propane, and one made for acetyline. It has something to do with the composition of the rubber in the diaphragm or something. While you can use the acetyline regulator for propane, in the long run it will not last as long as the propane will cause the rubber to break down faster. Of course, HOW much faster is unknown (to me). I figured I might as well get the right one up-front and not have to worry about it.
Old 2007-04-02, 8:23am
Surrounded by Trouble

I have a radnor on my oxygen but when I googled it I found out it was made by Victor.

Edited to add I paid almost 100.00 for it.

Old 2007-04-02, 9:01am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan View Post
Smith and Victor are both good names. I got my Smith regulators, brand new, at the welding supply place for about $100 for the pair (not each). You DO want to make sure they will work for low pressures. And there IS a small difference between a regulator made for propane, and one made for acetyline. It has something to do with the composition of the rubber in the diaphragm or something. While you can use the acetyline regulator for propane, in the long run it will not last as long as the propane will cause the rubber to break down faster. Of course, HOW much faster is unknown (to me). I figured I might as well get the right one up-front and not have to worry about it.
mmmmmmmmm....not according to the suppliers I've talked to. Fuel gas regulators are interchangable between propane and acetylene, but once used on acetylene, should never be used with propane.

Almost all the regulators being sold out there are rated for acetylene, which is much more nasty to rubber compounds than propane is (consider the fact that one of the components of acetylene is acetone, a highly flammable cleaning solvent).

As long as it is a brand name, and brand new, and is rated for fuel gas, you won't have a problem. Regulators are something I would not purchase from Harbor Freight, or from your local home improvement store. Get them from a welding shop who can then service them if needed.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-04-02, 9:14am

My regs are ancient. I've been using them for almost 20 years and they still operate perfectly. They are acetylene/oxy regs, so I don't think I'd worry about any problem. I did have to get something replaced on the oxy one (the stem?) where there was a minor leak. Took it to the welding place and it cost me $4 and 10 minutes waiting and it was perfect again.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2007-04-02, 3:04pm
Kerry with a Y not I

Thanks so much everyone. This is just the thing I needed to know. I think I will go with the ones that my welding supplier recommends. It was a good point, they'll be able to service them.

Good info!!

&
&
Old 2007-04-03, 7:56am
Gentleman of Leisure

My research agrees with Mikes statement...

I sent off e-mails to 4 major manufacturers/suppliers of regulators, and 2 responded that the internal materials making up their product would work equally well with acetylene or propane and there would be no problem interchanging them (fuels). However they were only speaking of their own product and did not choose to state it was across the board as different manufacturers use different materials that may be effected by different fuels.

The other 2 manufacturers chose to ignore my request for information.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-04-03 at 8:05am.