LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-25, 10:14am
Carolyn

Default What PSI do you have your Oxygen Generator set on?

Greetings, What is the best PSI to have your Oxygen Generator set on if you use a minor bench burner torch?
What is the best PSI to have your Oxygen Generator set on if you use a Mini CC torch?
Thanks
Carolyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-05-03, 10:15pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I don't know what the best psi is, but I have two oxycons and I run them at about 3.5 each. I used this setting for my minor as well as for the piranha that I'm using now. Seems to work just fine.

Ebay:
Old 2007-05-03, 10:51pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

I also run my oxycon at 3.5 for my minor with no problems at all!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2007-05-03, 11:30pm
Catnip Pusher

I have mine set at 4.5 for my Mini CC. I have no idea where I found out what to set it at, maybe the Carlisle site?

Aimee
Old 2007-05-04, 10:33am
professional gimme fiver

I have mine at 5 and I use the Carlisle Mini CC. It works fine.

Old 2007-05-04, 10:55am
Gentleman of Leisure

Lets be careful here an oxygen generator is some what different than a oxygen concentrator...

Oxygen concentrators (reapplied medical units) are typically set at a internal pressure of 7 to 9psi.... Any you adjustment is volume (flow) in Liters Per Minute (LPM) the ball gauge on front of unit is the measure of flow (volume) in LPM, not pressure.

Oxygen generators may have both pressure regulators (PSI) and flow regulators (LPM).... Generators are usually a more industrial or large scale application...

A typical reapplied medical unit (oxygen concentrator) will have best performance for volume and purity up to about 4.5 LPM....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-05-04, 8:31pm
Flamewoman

OK...So help me understand this. I have a concentrator, I have the M-20.
Old 2007-05-04, 8:36pm
Flamewoman

Oh shoot, I pushed enter to space down and it posted before I was done! Anyway, I run my m-20 wide open and let the control on the torch regulate the flow, the ball goes down to 3 or 3.5 or so, (I think, I'm not reallly looking at it) Is this ok? should I turn it down? I am on a minor, doing boro mostly these days, so I'm cranking my flame up pretty high. Is this ok?
Dale, I couldn't fully understand what you were saying.
MaryK
Old 2007-05-04, 11:23pm
Catnip Pusher

Dale is correct, the numbers we see on the ball gauge tells us how many Liters Per Minute (LPM) of oxygen the concentrator is putting out. The 5LPM concentrators have a PSI (or Pounds per Square Inch - the pressure of the oxygen leaving the machine) pre-set at about 7PSI.

I tend to forget that some folks actually use a generator, which is a much more expensive piece of equipment - and not something the smaller torches really need.

Frankly, if whatever setting you have your concentrator at is working for you there really isn't any compelling reason to change. As I understand the way the machines work, as the volume of oxygen produced goes up the purity goes down.

Aimee