Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-10-22, 7:44pm

Default Do you know that John Kobuki is Coming East??

I thought I'd post it here because I know that a lot of you don't read the class section or the marble section. He'll be here in February.
Yippee

Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-10-22, 9:01pm

I LOVE his stuff!!!! His flowers are TDF!!!

Old 2007-10-23, 4:13am
Serenity Now!

Now THAT is hot!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-10-23, 4:24am

Good morning Val,
I tried to PM you about this class last night, but I think LE was down for a bit....I went to bed instead Come on down!! We could have fun in this class.

Old 2007-10-23, 5:41am
ManBearPig

How much is the class? And where do I sign up?

Also, can we bring our own torch?

Old 2007-10-23, 7:30am
Does it come in Purple???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
How much is the class? And where do I sign up?

Also, can we bring our own torch?
Ditto!!!!!!!

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2007-10-23, 7:36am

that sucks, i was trying to not take classes this year, but he is a must go. have to see if i can swing it. ive been away, computer issues and new puppy on the way next week so hi all.miss you.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-10-23, 7:51am

John is incredible and the nicest guy you'll ever meet.
You guys better hurry up and sign up. The class will fill fast!

Old 2007-10-23, 7:55am
SCIENCE Teacher!

bad Paula! bad, bad Paula! that is not in my budget or achedule, not even close and to wave temptation like that...oooo. very bad! go stand in the corner..!
Old 2007-10-23, 8:02am
ManBearPig

Okay. Now I'm mad. Turns out the weekend of John's class is the same weekend my cousin is getting married, and I'm in the wedding.

I wonder what the chances of him changing the wedding are....

Old 2007-10-23, 8:18am

What if a second class was added? Would that be doable?

Old 2007-10-23, 9:07am

Hi guys. Well I got all involved in glass stuff last night and didn't get near the computer long enough to do the webpage but I will have it up in the next few nights. By the response it looks like I should start with two classes so that every one can get in. What do you think about Thurs-Friday, Sat-Sunday?? I'm sure just one class will sell out. And since he is coming all this way he said he will do two.
Chad, he is going to use the Mirage to teach and we are going to use the Mini CC's. The studio isn't set up for everyone to bring their own torch. You'll see why when you get there. (Of course my future studio will be..)And the students will have the option of watching and then practicing or having him demo and demo and demo. He is very open to whatever the students want. I know that we all love to try the techniques right away but with someone like John you may want to think more about watching him work to learn as much as possible while he is here. Ah his marbles are just incredible to me..I loose myself in them every time I look at his web page.
Anyway I haven't priced the class yet either but it's going to be a reasonable price.
I am so excited!! I tried to contact him 3 years ago when I first saw him on Corina's website! And now here is is saying "ok."
YIPPEE!!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-10-23, 9:24am

Hey Chad if we do Thursday-Friday you can still make the wedding.
That will give us a total of 20 seats (10 per class) .
Hopefully that will get everyone a seat..Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-10-23, 4:38pm

Ok Registration is Open!!! On my tincity website!!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-10-23, 4:49pm

Done!! I'm signed up for the Thursday and Friday class. Yeah!

Old 2007-10-23, 6:22pm
Serenity Now!

Oh Kim - you lucky girl! Paula's got me down as a definite maybe - thing is the weather is yucky that time of the year - so unpredictable for a long drive down...I really want to though...It's gonna be amazing, no doubt!

Old 2007-10-23, 6:28pm

Take Amtrak Girl....

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-10-24, 4:13am
Serenity Now!

Gonna check it all out Paula!! Boy would I ever love coming back to your place, and seeing you and Kim again...Never mind the actual class, which I've no doubt will be nothing short of amazing...

Will check it out...

Old 2007-10-24, 8:19am

Thanks Val!! Of course we'd love to have you back!! That weekend was just about the only time John was free. I realized that it is in winter but last year we had no snow at all!! And if anyone is worried about getting there they can come in a day early. Motel 6 is about $35.00 a night that time of year!! As long as I can get John in we will have the class!! Oh and don't forget they DO plow the roads around here...
Paula

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2007-10-24 at 8:52am.
Old 2007-10-24, 9:12am
ManBearPig

What's the closest airport?

Old 2007-10-24, 9:53am

For the main ones, Hartford (Bradley International) is about 1 hour north...but it's straight down RT 91 to New Haven and then up a bit on Rt 95. Providence (Greene) is about 25 minutes north of me and I'm just a little over 1 hour north of Tin City.
I'm PM'ing you...as soon as I get off the phone with my daughter ,
Kim V

Old 2007-10-24, 10:26am

Chad you can Amtrak right up the coast real cheap and leave Friday night and still make your cousin's wedding on the weekend. For anyone else coming from the coast You can go all the way up and down the coast by train. Branford is right on the water. Train is usually less hassle than driving or flying. A major stop is New Haven, CT (Home of Yale University and a neat place for a tour if you are staying a few days) which is 8 miles from here. Maybe students with vehicles can pick up people at the train station...
When Brad came up last year from VA he did Amtrak.
For flyers you can also fly into JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark. All are only 70 to 100 miles from here and have cheap airline companies servicing them. I usually fly out of Hartford though. 45 to 50 minutes North of Branford.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-10-24, 10:45am

Hey can someone post this on Wet Canvas? I'll get thrown off if I do. You know self promoting. Grumble.. Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-10-24, 10:54am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Chad you can Amtrak right up the coast real cheap and leave Friday night and still make your cousin's wedding on the weekend. For anyone else coming from the coast You can go all the way up and down the coast by train. Branford is right on the water. Train is usually less hassle than driving or flying. A major stop is New Haven, CT (Home of Yale University and a neat place for a tour if you are staying a few days) which is 8 miles from here. Maybe students with vehicles can pick up people at the train station...
When Brad came up last year from VA he did Amtrak.
For flyers you can also fly into JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark. All are only 70 to 100 miles from here and have cheap airline companies servicing them. I usually fly out of Hartford though. 45 to 50 minutes North of Branford.
Paula
Well, the wedding is Saturday at 1, so I'm trying to work things out right now...

Old 2007-10-24, 11:11am

you can sleep on the train...
I think it might be 5 or so hours or so for you..
Just be sure there is one out of here Fri night!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-10-24, 11:35am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

so, i got curious last night, and checked the greyhound website. turns out it's approximately 3 hours and $21 to get from NYC to new haven, not bad at all!

hmm, yeah. too bad it would cost me about 40 times that just to get to NYC!!!!!

paula, i will eventually get to tincity, i know i will!

I
NY
Old 2007-10-24, 11:48am

Hi Meitali,
Train is 2 hours from NYC and maybe 5 dollars more! Too bad you don't have airline miles!!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-10-24, 12:04pm
Pyromaniac

ok quick question, what if you have never done a marble or worked with tubing before, but you are familiar with boro and implosion work-- the class says intermediate to advanced -- I don't want to everything to be over my head.

Thanks,

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2007-10-24, 12:13pm

For those of you wondering, it isn't to bad a drive from Bradley International (about 30 minutes north of Hartford) down to the New Haven area. I have had to do that trip a couple of times for my computer job. I did the LaGuardia to New Haven last February and it was more of a hassle but about the same amount of time. Plus if you need to rent a car it was more expensive in NY. No toll bridge/roads coming from Hartford either

Now to see if I can swing the time and decide I can call myself intermediate.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-10-24, 12:14pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
ok quick question, what if you have never done a marble or worked with tubing before, but you are familiar with boro and implosion work-- the class says intermediate to advanced -- I don't want to everything to be over my head.

Thanks,
As far as I know John does his marbles on rods, not tubes. At least, that's what he told me at Wheaton.

I thought you had made marbles before...