Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-02-07, 7:58am
Common Lurker

Default Boro on a Betta with NG & 2 OxyCons - Question...

Is anyone here using this combination? I would love to hear about how it works for you, and how large the pieces are that you create.

It's been too damn cold here to get out to the garage to play. So I'm contemplating moving the studio to the basement. I would rather not mess around with piping propane thru the wall. I'm wondering if the Betta actually gets hot enough to make medium beads and off-mandrel pieces in boro.

If this needs to move to the Torches Room, that's fine... I just wanted the boro peeps opinions specifically, as I'm sure it will be fine with soft glass.

Thanks in advance!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-02-07, 8:04am
Satake Woman!

I can't say anything about NG, but it rocks with propane!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-02-07, 8:10am
Tinder Bloom Studio

Is there enough pressure to run a boro torch?

From what I understand household pressure is only like 1/3 psi which is not enough...I don't have experience with it though.

Old 2007-02-07, 8:24am
Common Lurker

Great to know, Jo, Thanks!

The Betta is supposed to be designed for use with household NG pressure. That's why I'm investigating it...

I have a Bobcat and a Cheetah that I can move downstairs if I run the propane line in... Just thought it might be interesting to check out the NG torch option.

Old 2007-02-07, 8:39am
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiPat View Post
Great to know, Jo, Thanks!

The Betta is supposed to be designed for use with household NG pressure. That's why I'm investigating it...

I have a Bobcat and a Cheetah that I can move downstairs if I run the propane line in... Just thought it might be interesting to check out the NG torch option.
I think you should get the Betta and sell me your Cheetah...but, to be honest, it is out of pure selfishness

Hope you are doing well.

Kim

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2007-02-07, 8:45am
Common Lurker

LOL! Sorry Kim... not ready to part with the GTT's just yet! I have alternate plans in the works for the near future, and I'm just looking for a quick fix for the basement this winter...

Nice try, tho! =}

Old 2007-02-07, 11:44am
The Venerable Bead

Hi diane. I am on natural gas (with no booster) and a 10 lpm oxy con (20 psi) and the betta rocks! check out my website to see the off mandrel pieces I do with that set up. I actually scaled down to the betta from a midrange a few months ago because I wanted more of a driving flame. The betta is great on natural gas. no worries!

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-02-07, 11:50am
boro color bender

Di- It will work great! If'n you decide on one, let me know... I know a guy who sells them.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-02-07, 11:59am
Common Lurker

Wonderful!!! Thanks for the input Paula & Brent!

Brent, I wanted to chat with you on the M-20's, too! I'll PM ya on the rest...

Thanks again!
Di =}
Old 2007-02-07, 10:54pm
HourGlass Studio

How do you think a betta would be with natural gas and 1 oxycon (5 lpm) ??

Old 2007-02-07, 11:26pm
Student of DachZen

I use a betta with one smallish oxycon, NG and no gas booster and it's great! I wouldn't say boro "melts like butter on my setup" - probably need a bigger oxycon for that - but it's more than useable with both boro and soft glass for my purposes.

Teresa

Old 2007-02-07, 11:33pm
HourGlass Studio

Cool - thanks teresa.

Old 2007-02-09, 8:50am

Diane, you would have no problems working with a Betta and Boro with your set up.

Laura, as Teresa said, you would be able to work boro with 1 oxy con. I would compare the Betta/NG/1 Oxy Con combination to working boro on a Minor/Propane/Bottle Oxy combination.
Old 2007-02-09, 9:04am
Pyromaniac

I run my minor on 2 5lpm concentrators with no major difference between tanked oxy until I really crank open the oxy. Yes I've tried both, and tanked oxy is a little bit better, but the hassles are not worth the trade-off IMO.

My understanding is that a betta is... well, 'betta' than a minor so you should be in good shape.

edit: he beat me to it!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2007-02-09, 9:57am
Common Lurker

Thanks Kristian and Chris!!!
I appreciate your input!

Old 2007-02-09, 6:45pm
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generations Glass View Post
Diane, you would have no problems working with a Betta and Boro with your set up.

Laura, as Teresa said, you would be able to work boro with 1 oxy con. I would compare the Betta/NG/1 Oxy Con combination to working boro on a Minor/Propane/Bottle Oxy combination.
Cool. Thanks Kristian. Right now I have a minor with propane and 5 lpm oxycon. I would really like to hook up a torch to household NG. So essentially its going to be hotter than what I have, I would love that. I would like to make pendants (nothing big) eventually.

Last edited by Laurie L; 2007-02-09 at 6:48pm.
Old 2007-02-10, 6:33am

I use a Betta with 1 Oxycon and NG. It works great for beads and I get enough heat to get good results. For off mandrel peices I can do them but with tricky colors like the AP family, more heat would be better as It's hard to keep a bigger piece consistantly hot.

It's a hot little torch and I love mine.

Old 2007-02-10, 7:12am
boro color bender

The Betta is a low pressure torch, but there's still no substitute for VOLUME. It can use all the oxygen 2 5 LPM machines put out. If you like it on one, you'll love it on two.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-02-10, 7:39am
The Venerable Bead

smiley could it use 2 10 lpm (20psi) machines? should I save my pennies or would that be overkill?

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-02-10, 8:55am
boro color bender

That would be over kill. it can only use so much volume before the flame distorts. Those units will run a Cuda almost as well as tanked. When you go to a concentrator, you don't have quite the purity of tanked. It's a minimal, but noticeable difference.

Old 2007-02-10, 10:55am
HourGlass Studio

So size wise what should I be able to make with a betta and 1 oxycon V.S. betta and 2 oxycons ( both 5 plm ). I would love to try some pendants....how big could I expect them to be before its like using a minor with 1 oxycon ( slow and taking forevah ). LOL.

Sorry to be a pain. I just like the idea of not having any propane any longer but want to make some decent sized stuff.