No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-18, 7:35pm
Student!

Question Is it me?

I am finding that all of my glass is now bubbling up on me. I bought some new bead release last week that I have just started to use. It is Pink Slipper and was the only thing I could find locally.

It's an air dry so I have been letting mandrels sit a couple of days before using, then preheating and all of a sudden all my glass seems to be bubbling the minute I put it on the mandrel.

All of my mandrels are at least 3 months old.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Last edited by clh; 2012-03-18 at 7:55pm.
Old 2012-03-18, 7:48pm
THE PEN IS BLUE!!!

The glass or the bead release is bubbling?
I tested a bead release for somone once and it popped and exploded off the mandrel when i tried to use it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-18, 7:55pm
Student!

It's the glass.

Some of the bead release was popping off until I moved farther out in the flame but I got past that.
Old 2012-03-18, 7:57pm

Try heating the bead release and mandrel up a bit before you try to apply the glass

Old 2012-03-18, 8:07pm
Student!

Preheating is always something I do. I was using Fusion without a problem....until I ran out.

The only new thing is the bead release.

I've had glass bubble before but not all of it and today ALL of it bubbled.

And just when I was starting to feel a little better about my basic skills!
Old 2012-03-18, 9:00pm
Formerly FishBulb

I would say chuck the Pink Slipper in the trash and get some more Fusion. Something like that just adds to the frustration level, which is already high enough when a person is just beginning!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-03-18, 9:07pm
I'm a lilac!

Try letting it cool down a bit before applying glass... some bead releases like to be red-hot when you apply glass, and some like to be cooler. It can make it confusing when you switch.

Old 2012-03-19, 12:29pm

Default bubbling release

I was having the same problem with a new bottle of the same release I had been using. I thinned it out a bit and now it's fine.
Old 2012-03-19, 12:44pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Hmm, I've been having this problem too, and I too recently changed my bead release (I didn't actually get a new bead release, I rejuvenated an old bottle of BOM and mixed it with the almost gone Universal and the tiny bit of Foster Fire sample I had left. That's when I started having the "bubbling up from the mandrel" issue. I always cook my bead release until it's red and then put glass down, I'll try letting the mandrel cool for a bit. Thanks for the suggestion Kalera!

I really liked how easy it was to remove beads from the sample of Foster Fire I had, but it broke really easily when I was applying the glass to the mandrel. The Universal wasn't as easy to get the beads off, and it almost never broke, but it did crack a lot, so it always made me think it was going to break. BOM was just a bear to get the beads off, but I know a lot more about lampworking now than before, and I think maybe it was my technique, not the bead release. Is BOM still selling? I sent him a PM and the BOM guy never replied.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-03-19, 3:14pm
Student!

I will try letting the mandrel cool down a bit before adding the glass. Hopefully it will help.

If not, I guess it's a road trip to buy more Fusion!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Cheryl
Old 2012-03-19, 4:29pm
Lover of all things color

I've had this problem off and on with Dip-N-Go. I find that if I heat the bead release from the tip down to where it stops and then go back and heat it really well right where I'm going to add the glass it helps, then as I put glass on the mandrel I keep the area of the mandrel that is going to get the glass, in the flame so that it's glowing as the glass goes one.
Unfortunately it's just one of those things you have to find the sweet spot for, I still get some bubbles but I ALWAYS start with a clear base so I can fix that before I get to the color glass where you can't always see the bubbles until it's too late.

Using the clear base also allows you to get the size just right...IMHO

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-03-19, 6:38pm
Student!

Jan,

I will definitely try that!

Thanks!

Cheryl
Old 2012-03-20, 2:53am
Queen Bee

I had nothing but problems with pink slipper myself..............I use fusion and have no issues

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-03-22, 12:31pm

I had the same thing happen and finally determined I had a bad batch of bead release. It was the same brand I'd been using for years but the new bottle must have been a bad batch.
Old 2012-03-22, 12:56pm
Student!

I'm glad it's the bead release because that can hopefully be fixed quickly.

Just waiting on the UPS truck now!