AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-03-03, 8:37am

Default What size mandrel is needed?

Could anyone tell me what size mandrel is needed to make beads for the threaded bracelets such as Biagi, Pandora, Chamilia? I don't have one of these bracelets yet, but am thinking about getting one, and making my own beads for it. Any help would be much appriciated. Does anyone have a preference on what bracelet to buy?

Found previous thread. This can be removed. Thanks,

Teresa

Last edited by tmm-99; 2006-03-03 at 10:02am.
Old 2008-01-30, 8:45am
Enjoying Life!

Question

Can someone post the thread that answers this question? I've been searching the forum and cannot find it.
Thanks,
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm-99 View Post
Could anyone tell me what size mandrel is needed to make beads for the threaded bracelets such as Biagi, Pandora, Chamilia? I don't have one of these bracelets yet, but am thinking about getting one, and making my own beads for it. Any help would be much appriciated. Does anyone have a preference on what bracelet to buy?

Found previous thread. This can be removed. Thanks,

Teresa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-01-30, 9:37am
Bobby

Default mandrels

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/se...archid=1584858

another

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=pandora

Last edited by Bobby; 2008-01-30 at 10:33am. Reason: more info
Old 2008-01-30, 10:10am
I speak Murrini!

Bobby:

Not sure why, but the link you posted didn't work for me...I'm adding this link, http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=80066 where my formula is posted in Post #15...Please check your link and repost, if you don't mind...it seems the phrase "Too Much Information" doesn't apply to this subject! Ha!!!!

Thanks,
DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-01-30, 10:14am
da General

5/32" and 3/16" holes fit a Pandora/Biagi bracelet. So if you are just make the beads and stringing them on the bracelet (WITHOUT silver rivet/core), then 3/16" will work.

If you are going to add silver rivet/core to your beads, you need to use 1/4" mandrels so that there is room for the silver rivet/core, giving you the final hole of 3/16"

Most confusion happens when people think they need 3/16" and forget that you need a bigger size to accommodate the rivet/core.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-03, 11:31am
Formerly known as weasel

Where can we get the 5/32nds and 3/16ths mandrels? can someone tell me who has them??

Old 2008-02-03, 1:18pm
Enjoying Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsey View Post
Where can we get the 5/32nds and 3/16ths mandrels? can someone tell me who has them??
Here's a few links:
http://www.artcoinc.com/mandrels.php
http://www.noodlesaurus.com/catalog.php?category=17
http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/mandrels_tubes.html

I am awaiting an order of 3/16" tubing from Howaco Glass Supplies and I have received 6mm 24 gauge SS tubing from Monsterslayer.com. But the more I read, I think I shall try a 1/4" mandrel. I do not have pandora, biagi, or a trollbeads bracelet, so I can't see for myself how well the beads fit them. If/when I ever actually accomplish making, coring, and putting the bead on a pandora, biagi, or trollbeads bracelet, I'll post a reply as to where, what, and how for everything I had to buy to get the right stuff.
Hope this helps,
Laura

~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-03-08, 10:16pm
Enjoying Life!

Default What worked for me

I know this is covered in other posts, but if you're searching using the search function, you'll probably get tons of stuff to read. So, in my above post, I said I would post the info....so I will. This is what I used to silver core a bead for my Pandora brand bracelet.

I used 3/16" hollow tubing and a single coat of bead release.
Mandrels/Tubing: $5.50 each from Howaco

I used 6mm, 26 gauge sterling silver tubing from Monster Slayer. (OD Name="6mm")

I had to dremel out the bead hole with a diamond bit so the tubing would fit into the bead hole. Maybe double dipping the bead release would work better.

The bead fits on the Pandora bracelet with about 1 mm to spare (when passing over the screw thingy.) The 2 beads that I did core were about 17mm in diameter and looked too large for a bracelet. Plus, I chipped them, so I didn't take a photo of them. Too bad they chipped, they were pretty. I'll eventually add a photo to this post, when I am able to core one that doesn't chip.

~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-03-09, 12:48am
I speak Murrini!

Thank you for posting your findings, LauraLou! Your beads are really pretty and it just seems that, as far as this subject is concerned, there's no such thing as "Too Much Information". In addition, it seems no matter what, there's no absolute "standard" that has yet to be defined - and there are so many possible variables (different release with different thicknesses, number of mandrel/release "dips", inside diameters, outside diameters, Biagi, Troll, Pandora, blah, blah, blah - too many possibilities!!!!!) that everyone's specific findings, with all "component" elements defined, are sure to help everyone out in the long run!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro