AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-12-11, 7:11pm

Default Chinese knotted cords....so what do you do with them now??

Can you dedicate a tutorial to someone?
This ones for you Chris!!! Cheers! Happy Holidays and the end to a successful buy..... despite China and Dam DHL!
You went above and beyond!!!!!

Please add to this thread with all your ideas for these cords. Let's make these fun now!

I have loved using these cords all season for my sales at art festivals. They have really moved out of my booth. When Chris started the buy I could not wait to be a part of it. So now I figured since we have all been waiting for these cords, let's have fun with them!

Here are some of the ways I have discovered to use these cords. I am sure others have done the same thing. My corded lampwork is very picked over (thank goodness!) but here are a few examples I have left from shows.

I started by melting the tip of the tie cord just a tiny bit so that the end would not fray as I started working with the cords.

I pulled out all my Bali beads and caps with large holes in them. Then I started stacking flat beads to create dimension on top and below a lampwork bead. See below:

Next I found I wanted little sterling 3 and 4 mm balls on them. But the problem was how do you thread those little holes........answer......you don't.

I found you could just squeeze crimp covers on the cords and then tie a knot. This saved time and moved very fast. It was much easier then trying to thread those small holes. I tried..... it can be done but not worth the effort.

I also went and bought tassles and thread them back into the bead and tied up at the top.

These cords are so much fun to use with leftover focals that you were not sure what to do with. I also found that sticking a crimp cover in the pucker of the bead caused the bead to always stay centered on the cord, therefore giving a clean presentation the whole time they were hanging in my booth, or on someones neck.

I am sure others have great ideas of what to do with these cords....please add to the thread!!!!

I also want to thank Shawnette from http://www.glassgoodies.com/goodies/ She fixed me up in the mean time with great prices on the cords.

Again, I want to thank Chris for all her hard work!!!!!!! You are the greatest!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-12-11, 7:28pm

Heather,
I've never had a thread dedicated to me before! Is this a first? LOL, thanks, you're a doll!

Your ideas are fabulous! But, I WANT A BEAD OF YOURS NOW! Gonna have to go take a peek at what you have!

Thanks again for all the great ideas! You're the best!

Hugs,
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-12, 3:18pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I also want to thank Shawnette from http://www.glassgoodies.com/goodies/ She fixed me up in the mean time with great prices on the cords.

Nette's the bomb!
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2006-12-14, 10:50pm

What's the best way to clean these things?

With regular use they become clogged with sweat, grime and body waste.
Old 2006-12-15, 1:48am
Frit frit and more frit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Nice!
Old 2006-12-15, 2:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
What's the best way to clean these things?

Here's the BEST way to clean them. Tie them up in a clean sock and wash them in the washing machine! Taaaaaaaa Daaaaaaaaaaaa! Dry Flat!

I'm so smart aren't I?

Chris

Old 2006-12-16, 4:22am

I had a question on the size of mandrels I use for my beads. I use the 3/32 mandrel for all my focals that I will be using on my corded necklaces. Many of the beads are 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches long. Some are longer but I try to stick to this size for proportion.

I do have a size of mandrels that is between the 1/16 and 3/32 and it also works for threading the cords into.

I usually have a 1/16 mandrel handy when I am threading the cord into the bead. I just shove the 1/16 mandrel down the bead hole with the cords and pull at the bottom. The mandrel just falls back out and the cords are now throught the beads very lickity split...... I find a paper clip or head pin also works for push the thread into the little silver beads.

When I thread the silver daisy spacers, I thread one cord. Pull that cord to the side, and then thread the other cord. I use the little burned end to push into the hole with a small headpin. This way the thread does not keep fraying and need to keep being cut shorter. This way I can get both cords into the holes very fast.... Then I add a crimp cover at the bottom and tie a knot.

Have fun with them. I hope to see some soon....??

Old 2008-01-21, 5:19pm
A Beadin' Path

Good idea to add the crimp bead...I find myself constantly trying to straighten the leaning bead! Also, I finish my nends with a quick dip in Beadalon glue (just the very tips).

DANIELLE

"WORRY looks around, SORRY looks back, FAITH looks up."
Old 2008-01-22, 3:05pm

lovely! I love the one with the added tassle!

ebay

website New shop on website!

New Etsy shop!
Old 2008-01-22, 5:19pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

When I sell them I tell the customer
"HEY! These are made of material, which means
that they will absorb anything you put on your neck.
So don't use perfume, makeup or wear these necklaces
into the ocean."

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-01-23, 5:40pm
Dangerous Woman

I don't care for these necklaces for myself. I read so many threads saying what good sellers they are that I finally broke down and bought some at a show - got a pretty good deal too. I'll tell you what - they ARE a good seller! I'm sorry I haven't been making them all along! Thanks Heather for the info and the inspiration.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-01-25, 6:47am
JulieV

I've only ever used a jump ring. But I like yours waaaaay better. And the tassle is fantastic!
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-25, 7:48am

So what price range do these sell in?

Hope you don't mind my asking... (I just received some....)

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-01-25, 12:03pm
Beadmaking.nl

Wat a great solution! Thank you for showing it!!!

Old 2008-02-07, 8:21pm

wow, a year later and this thread is back to life.

I sell most of the corded necklaces for $30. If it is a floral I charge more.

I love doing end of day beads and just experimental color beads for these necklaces.