Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2007-12-09, 12:11pm

Unhappy Many questions from troubled torcher!

Hello all--
Some of these questions may have been covered elsewhere, but I want to ask them on my own & see what people can tell me.
I have been working with a minor burner for several years, no problems at all. I was running propane at about 2-3 and oxy at about 5. Started to have problems with wildly varying flame--kinda scary. Found that propane hose was the wrong kind--got that replaced. Still had the problem. Replaced oxygen regulator (which seemed to indicate the wild variations were coming from there) with a new one from Wale Apparatus. It seems to have the same problem. I've cleaned the torch out repeatedly. Still can't seem to control the oxygen pressure coming to the torch--goes from a nice neutral or slightly reducing flame to a madly oxidizing flame with no warning & no changes on my part. I'm freaking out!!

So my questions are: Can anybody recommend a better oxygen regulator?
2) What sort of oxygen generator would work for me? I don't do boro at present, just soft glass/ beadmaking
3) Do I need one or two generators? I've seen some posts about this and am very confused.
4) What about dual stage oxy regulators--anyone use them?

If I can't get this figured out (I have no-one local to ask) I'm gonna go back to the old Hot Head! But I'd rather not!
Can anybody help me out?
Athan/Firefly67
Old 2007-12-31, 10:26am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly67 View Post
Hello all--
Some of these questions may have been covered elsewhere, but I want to ask them on my own & see what people can tell me.
I have been working with a minor burner for several years, no problems at all. I was running propane at about 2-3 and oxy at about 5. Started to have problems with wildly varying flame--kinda scary. Found that propane hose was the wrong kind--got that replaced. Still had the problem. Replaced oxygen regulator (which seemed to indicate the wild variations were coming from there) with a new one from Wale Apparatus. It seems to have the same problem. I've cleaned the torch out repeatedly. Still can't seem to control the oxygen pressure coming to the torch--goes from a nice neutral or slightly reducing flame to a madly oxidizing flame with no warning & no changes on my part. I'm freaking out!!

So my questions are: Can anybody recommend a better oxygen regulator?
2) What sort of oxygen generator would work for me? I don't do boro at present, just soft glass/ beadmaking
3) Do I need one or two generators? I've seen some posts about this and am very confused.
4) What about dual stage oxy regulators--anyone use them?

If I can't get this figured out (I have no-one local to ask) I'm gonna go back to the old Hot Head! But I'd rather not!
Can anybody help me out?
Athan/Firefly67
Try bumping up the pressure on your propane regulator to between 5 and 10 psi and see if that helps.
Old 2007-12-31, 10:58am
ManBearPig

5 psi on the oxygen seems pretty low. Try running it at 10-15, and your propane at 5. If that doesn't work, it could be a regulator going bad. If the diaphragm in them starts to stick, the pressure will change widely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.