Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2015-03-24, 2:03pm

Default Where do you buy gas for BBQ tanks?

I'm sorry for this stupid question, but I want to switch from to a BBQ tank (12 pounds appr, 5 kilogramms). And there is a nuance, there is a seasonal shift between two versions of "propane", both are actually mixes of propane and butane - in russia we have "summer propane" and "winter propane" for household and vehicles - "summer" is 58% propane and 42 butane and "winter" - not less that 85% propane and the rest - butane. For simplicity all that is called "propane" but chemically these two mixes are different and using "winter" version at high temperatures may potentially cause problems.

This is the safety regulation, I think in USA you have something like that especially in the areas where you may have +100F during the summer time and -104F in the winter. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Do you look for "techical gas" (which is pretty pure but is sold by the welding companies only with certain restrictions) or go to the nearest point where you can recharge the tank with the ordinary "household approved" gas?

Have HH as many beginners, but do plan to switch to Minor in the future.

Excuse me if this question has been already asked - just failed to find a thread. And thank you in advance.
Old 2015-03-24, 4:31pm
Phill

I know that our gasoline for our cars gets a different mix from summer to winter but I don't remember ever hearing about a change in the formula for propane.

I live in the lower part of Minnesota at about 44 degrees north.

Perhaps some of our Canadian friends or those folks living in Alaska may know of some seasonal changes.

I would think that adjusting the torch to compensate for any changes in the chemistry would be enough.
The difference should not be much in terms of the temperature of the flame but perhaps in the way it flows through the piping or regulators before getting to the torch but even then it would only show up during extreme weather.
Old 2015-03-24, 10:37pm

Thank you very much, you are right - the formula for propane remains the same, the ratio in the mix changes. OK, I'll buy and try that small refillable one (otherwise these nice and small yellow cans - imported from USA, by the way, will make me to look for the second full-time employment).
Old 2015-03-25, 7:14am
Phill

I am not aware of any seasonal changes here in propane mixes. We do have a variety of gases available from several places from welding shops to hardware stores and a lot of petrol stations have propane available for refilling bar-b-que tanks (20 pounds).

We have MAPP gas which is a little hotter than propane and butane which is a little cooler than propane I think. I have heard of something called Propene, also known as propylene or methylethylene and I would not be surprised if I have used it in the past and I was not aware of the name.

I went right to the bar-b-que tanks when I first started with a hot head but I have heard that the smaller tanks (less than 6 inches across) can have problems with getting so cold as the they are used that they can actually freeze up and stop releasing any gas until they warm up.
Some have tried sitting them in a water bath or a warm wet towel trying to prevent it from happening.
Others have a second torch and tank waiting and they swap them out when one gets too cold to use.
It's less expensive than buying an oxygen and fuel system but a bit of a hassle unless you just setup two small tanks with two torches side by side to start with and light the next one when the first starts to freeze up.
Old 2015-03-25, 9:45am

Here the difference in the mix is the state standard (though there is still some transition period every spring and autumn, but I think it is more important for the car owners because they can not remove the tank if the temperature suddenly jumps or falls and there is a "wrong version of the gas" on board, while the BBQ can be stored under proper temperature conditions - it is mobile, can be moved to warmer or colder place if required and gas can be safely fired out if necessary).

Recently (well, I think 5-6 years ago or so) so called "safe composite tanks" were introduced to the market and become more and more popular for mobile purposes (fishing, camping, etc) for low weight and safety. The cost of the tank is high comparing to the traditional steel tanks but the positive sides are considerable. The smallest ones is 5kg of propane (or 12 pounds appr. if filled up to 85% of capacity as per the safety regulations) has 12 inches in diametr and about 16 inches high (without protective and handling wrap that surrounds the tank), I hope freezing shoud not be a major problem. And I'm going to use it in the countryside, so it is not a problem (even if it happens) to switch for something else for some time.

It was far more challenging to find a regulator (I was looking for a one with the parameters as per your recommendations in the earlier posts -up to 60 psi (or 4bars, 1 bar is roughly 14.5 psi). A lot of models to feed Minor or other 2-gas torches but hardly couple to feed HH, these are considered as "industrial", not "household" regulators But I finally did, 0.5-4 bars (equals 7-60 psi) and a good hose.

So I'll give it a try, it should be more economical comparing to the equivalent of $10 per Bernzomatic 1" Map/pro if I buy directly from the official importer and 13-14$ from other retail sources (others buy from this only official importer).

And thanks a LOT for your help.

Last edited by Katia; 2015-03-25 at 9:58am.
Old 2015-03-25, 1:31pm
Alaska Boro

Here in the USA, it is common to find lampworkers using the standard acetylene welding gauge to reduce pressure to 5 PSI (.344 bar). The fittings on the gauge fit the propane tank.

However in your part of the world, fittings may be different. But check with a local welding supply shop and see what could work. Most have a variety of adapters that may assist in solving your issues.

Old 2015-03-25, 2:42pm

Alaska, thank you, the fittings quest was successfully resolved but not by the local welding guys - by this forum (mean - this invaluable collection of expertise and finally the understanding of what is required for the torch in question). Managed to get the fittings and the regulator locally (except for an adapter for HH - this one arrived from Germany). Hot glass is not that popular here so the welding stores will sell you what you need (if they have) but they will not go in detail what you are going to do or what you need.