Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Old 2015-04-28, 7:27pm

Default Have a lynx but need more radiant heat???

I've loved my lynx for the detailed work I've been doing, but want to do longer beads and need something with radiant heat

DO NOT LIKE THE MINI CC!!! What else would you recommend? There are times I've been tempted to go back to a minor!

Suggestions needed~ Thanks so much
Old 2015-04-29, 12:51pm

Why NOT go back to a minor then?
Old 2015-04-29, 2:43pm

I like my cheetah, its almost twice the torch as a Lynx.
Old 2015-04-29, 6:05pm
Dix Harrison

Have you tried the Alpha? Hated the Lynx. Sold it...love my Alpha.
Old 2015-04-30, 5:48am

buy a phantom. great torch, same centerfire as what you're working with now. not too terribly expensive (in relation to some of gtt's larger torches).
Old 2015-04-30, 8:20am
da General

I agree with Dix...since you work with soft glass, want more radiant heat than a GTT, don't like the Mini CC, do detailed work...the Bethlehem Alpha will fit the bill for you!

A Minor would be a huge step back after the heat of a Lynx.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2015-04-30, 6:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post

A Minor would be a huge step back after the heat of a Lynx.
Yes but it would be much simpler then a GTT triple mix. You can get radiant heat out of the Lynx but you must be willing to work with and balance the two oxygen valves. The Lynx is extremely versatile but it does have a learning curve. A lot of folks here do use the Lynx to work soft glass quite successfully.
Old 2015-04-30, 8:48pm
Phill

Does anyone run two torches together?
Old 2015-05-01, 12:50pm

thanks guys, I'll definitely look into those torches!!!
Old 2015-05-01, 12:51pm

Larry~ I've been working with my Lynx for years and can't get radiant heat to make long and large beads at all- how do you do it?!
Old 2015-05-01, 7:12pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Yes but it would be much simpler then a GTT triple mix. You can get radiant heat out of the Lynx but you must be willing to work with and balance the two oxygen valves. The Lynx is extremely versatile but it does have a learning curve. A lot of folks here do use the Lynx to work soft glass quite successfully.
All I am suggesting is that an Alpha seems to be a perfect choice for her... More heat than a Minor and more radiant heat than a Lynx. And if the OP likes to work with encasied silver glass, the Alpha provides less thrusting heat than the Lynx which helps in retaining silver glass effects under encasement.

Bottom line, it all depends on the type of work one wants to do... Soda lime glass versus boro especially when you throw in coe 104 silver glass.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2015-05-01 at 7:17pm.
Old 2015-05-02, 10:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrina310 View Post
Larry~ I've been working with my Lynx for years and can't get radiant heat to make long and large beads at all- how do you do it?!
I cant give you a recipe but I would suggest that you experiment with the balance between the two oxygen valves. I have a mirage which uses the Lynx center. I always leave the blue oxy at least slightly cracked open to keep the torch cool. The balance between these ports is the key to getting just about any flame you want from broad and bushy with lots of radiant heat to needle thin and driving. On the other hand if the triple mix is not working for you then switch. I was the first to suggest this. If you spend time with accomplished torchworkers you will realize that they can and do work well on any torch thats available. The archer is more important then the arrow.