AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2005-08-31, 4:12am
You can call me Slater

Wow Kimberly! What a great way to make twisties, plus your not wasting alot of glass..........excellent! Thanks for the tut.

Penny
Old 2005-08-31, 5:25am
Anna Duhame

You are very sweet and generous to share your secrets with us! Ever since I have seen your seahorses I have wondered how it was done! Seahorses are one of my favorite animals! I have only been torching 1 month so it may be quite awhile before I have a seahorse to show (at least one that looks like a seahorse ).

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hummingbird3172; 2005-08-31 at 9:18am.
Old 2005-08-31, 10:01am
Booger #7

Kimberly you simply have a heart of gold to share so much with the glass community!!! I would have never thought to marver into a cone to avoid that big blobbo of waste glass and it always irritates me....problem solved....I think I'll go out and make some twisties today just for the fun of it!!!!

Old 2005-08-31, 10:36am
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsking
Kimberly you simply have a heart of gold to share so much with the glass community!!! I would have never thought to marver into a cone to avoid that big blobbo of waste glass and it always irritates me....problem solved....I think I'll go out and make some twisties today just for the fun of it!!!!
OMG, you are making twisties w/o a specific purpose!!!!! I'm SHOCKED!

and of course, psyched! can't wait to see what you make!!!

I'm so having torch w/d today.... can't even focus on work... LOL... haven't torched since Sunday night...........eeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkk

stacy

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-08-31, 11:04am
Boheme Flamework Designs

Thank you Kimberly for the great tutorial. I'm twisty challenged but after reading this there might be hope for me yet. LOL

Deb Cline
Old 2005-08-31, 11:32am
Booger #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsexpressions
OMG, you are making twisties w/o a specific purpose!!!!! I'm SHOCKED!

and of course, psyched! can't wait to see what you make!!!

I'm so having torch w/d today.... can't even focus on work... LOL... haven't torched since Sunday night...........eeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkk

stacy
Oh you silly girl....I always have a purpose!!!!! That is just part of my nature!!!!

Old 2005-08-31, 12:53pm
the 2 Michelle's

wow, made some of these this morning before work. Holy cow, it was way easier than before. And now I can make them the same size for more than an inch!!!!

Thanks again....did I mention you rock?

Michele

You say bitch like it's a bad thing.....

bead on!!

Old 2005-08-31, 1:58pm

Thank you so much, Kimberly.

Old 2005-09-01, 12:54pm
Anna Duhame

I tried making some too....they are prettier than any twistie I have ever made! It went pretty easy too, but my attempts at seahorse beads are another story!

Old 2005-09-01, 1:12pm
CA Queen Bitch

Thank you so much Kimberly! Have I told you how happy we are to have you in Chinese Auctions and on Lampwork Etc.??? You de' bomb!!!!!

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-01, 3:49pm

Thanks for the tutorial,
and your son took great pictures for it.

shari

Old 2005-09-01, 4:15pm

Holy Toledo!!! Thank you so much for sharing.

I can hardly wait to take your class. This year is out. Not enough vacation from my day job. Looking forward to next year though.

Katherine
Old 2005-09-02, 10:25pm
NW Oregon

Default Seahorse Twisty Tutorial

I had the wonderful opportunity to see Kimberly make twisties AND a sea horse at Frantz Glass earlier this year. I have been using her way of making twisties ever since then. It is quick. I just started lampworking in January; I still don't get consistant diameter pieces but it is fun to try.

Here is what I have noticed when I use the twisties: I get all finished putting them on a bead and realize that they are no longer twisted. I end up with straight lines!!! I'm so intent on [attempting] stringer control that I can't seem to prevent this from happening. It's almost like I need to twist the twisty while I am applying it. Does anyone else have this trouble? Suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, after reading this thread, I did attempt to make seahorses. Last night they looked pretty good. This evening they are not as great looking as I thought. And...I only did it as a challenge for myself....even if I made a great one I would never try to sell it

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2005-09-03, 11:59am
what's a senior moment ?

Made these twisties today, had a blast doing it and even more fun using them on the beads I made ! Wow ! What a difference ! thanks so much Kimberly for posting this tutorial. Will we see more ???? maybe?????? lol !
Thanks again,
Debbie A.
Old 2005-09-05, 11:24am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Here is a big donut bead (and friends) that I made with this twistie.

--
--
--

Old 2005-09-05, 11:27am
Lampworker on Hiatus

oooooh that's pretty Rose!

Old 2005-09-05, 11:29am
Procrastinate Now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie23
Here is a big donut bead (and friends) that I made with this twistie.
Those are just awesome!!! I was wondering if anyone was going to post pictures. Here are some beads I made with the these twisties.

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2005-09-05, 4:50pm
Anna Duhame

Very beautiful pictures! I keep trying to make seahorse, but I seem to have the opposite of stringer of control...I will think I am getting it, but then they come out kind of bad.... My twisties come out nice though! At least that is a starting point!

Old 2005-09-05, 4:57pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Anna, did you buy Corina's DVD about stringer control.. ?? It's a MUST-HAVE!! (hee hee free advertising for Miss Corina!!)

Old 2005-09-06, 7:11am
Back from the Dark Side

Kimberly, this is an incredible tutorial! Over the weekend i made some of the coolest twisties for my little red hats! I love how they turned out.

thankyouthankyouthankyou!!

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2005-09-06, 12:05pm
NW Oregon

I wrote earlier that I had decided to try making seahorses with the twisties. I like taking up a challenge so when Kimberly said "Let's see your seahorses." off I went. The first two were not so great. The third one still does not compare to Kimberly's. Mine is chunky and I lost the puckered ends and the seahorse needs to be smaller or the bead needs to be bigger.....but I will show you anyway. I did this only as a challenge and would not consider selling them even if they came out really well. The design is all Kimberly's. I started lampworking in January...so please forgive the obvious defects.

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2005-09-06, 12:13pm
the 2 Michelle's

hey pretty cool....I tend to heat mine until they are just squiqqly lines all over the bead......my twist are great, just once I get onto the bead heat control goes out the window. Still blaming it on learning on a hh. Loved my noisy little dragon, but man I must not have patience for crap. I want it moving and I mean NOW. So on the bobcat that means designs drooping.

Michele

You say bitch like it's a bad thing.....

bead on!!

Old 2005-09-06, 7:18pm
a minor contributor

I subscribed to this website so I could thank you Kimberly for the tutorial. My DH and I have been making them for two days and they are SO much better than other attempts. I can't imagine ever having the talent to make seahorses, so I will continue trying to make beads that are consistent in size and add beautiful twisties to those. Thanks so much.

Pam
Old 2005-09-06, 11:25pm
Ecclectic & Eccentric

Thank you so very very much for sharing your twistie technique with us -
They are a hoot to make! Absolutely love them! Thank you!
Heres a pic (fingers crossed) of my first one in use -

Thanks again!!!
Lavender
Old 2005-09-08, 7:49am
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly
Pam,

Jennifer,
WONDERFUL seahorse!!!!!! My first one wasn't nearly that nice! Bravo!!!!

Thank you Kimberly. You are so generous with your toutorials AND your compliments. You made my day!

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2005-09-08, 10:13am
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat
I wrote earlier that I had decided to try making seahorses with the twisties. I like taking up a challenge so when Kimberly said "Let's see your seahorses." off I went. The first two were not so great. The third one still does not compare to Kimberly's. Mine is chunky and I lost the puckered ends and the seahorse needs to be smaller or the bead needs to be bigger.....but I will show you anyway. I did this only as a challenge and would not consider selling them even if they came out really well. The design is all Kimberly's. I started lampworking in January...so please forgive the obvious defects.

Jennifer, I think they are fantastic! I sure wish mine had come out as nice--yours are obviously sea horses! Mine, sadly, were not!

You did a really great job with the spikes on it's back--mine always look a mess! I may try again--as a challenge. Yours are very inspiring!

Ahhh, so I need to buy Corinna's video! Thank you Sharlee, I'm adding it to my wish list!

Last edited by hummingbird3172; 2005-09-08 at 10:17am.
Old 2005-09-12, 9:44am
aka Spawn Of Flame

OK, so I cheated when I posted just the bead using the twisty, so I tried a seahorse yesterday. I used a different twisty, and his poor face was, well, odd. I used a tool to try and make it better- which smeared the ivory. And when I raked him, I made the bead misshapen. But. I like him anyway.

--
--
--

Old 2005-09-15, 6:17pm
Always with a smile!

Many thanks for this ~ as a scuba diving instructor I am awed by the seahorses I see under the water but yours are second to none! They are such fine creatures. Thanks for the tutorial
Old 2005-09-16, 9:41am
Goddess

Hey Kimberly,

Wonderful tutorial, thank you! I think I might try this method with my vine cane, without the twist of course. I always end up with two large ends that I can't pull down, and end up throwing them away. I really hate the waste! I think this might help to solve that problem.

Old 2005-09-16, 10:17am
CA Queen Bitch

Here is a focal bead I made with your twisty tutorial, Kimberly! Not a great photo but sure an interesting bead. Thank you!!!
~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!

Tags
twisties