LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2007-01-22, 10:43pm

Default gummed up minor - how to clean?

Hi everyone,

Last night when I was working I made a boo boo and somehow got a gob of glass on the head of my torch. I tried to immediately brush off what I could but think I only succeeded in pushing down the ports. I turned off the torch left the bead in the kiln to be worked more down the road, and tried to get the glass off the head. Then I had the bright idea of drilling out the glass ... why oh why did I think that was a good idea??? So, I now have glass in 3 ports and the end of a drill bit in one more.

How do I get the torch head back again ... or will I have to get a new torch? I hope not, mainly because I am in full swing bead making mode and can't afford the down time waiting for a new torch (apart from the fact that I'm trying hard not to buy new tools I really don't need).

So, advice badly needed here ...

Thanks to any knights or knightesses in shining armour,

Sadie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-23, 12:45am

Can you remove the drill bit part with pliers ? If not then I suggest you send it back to where you bought it to have it cleaned.
Otherwise, the best way to get molten glass out of ports is to crank up the gases and tap the glass with a tunsgten pick used as a chisel. The gases will make the bits flow away once they are dislodged instead of going down the ports. You should tap not towards the inside of the torch but vertically, so that the pick is at an angle with the nozzle, and tap sharply. I use a handheld heavy tool as a hammer. What you musn't do is turn the torch off as the glass hardens and is then very hard to get out. You can try tapping the cold torch head on a hard surface but it might chip or distort it slightly.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2007-01-23, 10:01am

Thanks Anne - no the drill bit was submitted to further indignity when I decided to try to drill that bit out and only succeeded in making it further embedded in the port (not that there was anything protruding anyway) ... I cannot remember where I got the torch at all (obviously not a life altering moment for me - lol).

I'm going to try taking the torch apart today if I can - wish we could get replacement parts ...

Old 2007-01-23, 11:51am
Missing presumed fed

You probably want to call Nortel before you start doing anything else on your own.

Here's the contact page from their website.

http://www.nortelmachinery.com/contact.htm
Old 2007-01-23, 11:54am

Ahh ... thanks Emily ... glad I check back here! yes, I should probably call them!

Sadie

Old 2007-01-23, 11:57am
Safety ALWAYS

If it wasn't for the drill bit... ... the best way to get glass out of a Minor is to light the torch and get it nice and hot, then turn it off and plunge the face into a bowl of water. Then gently tap the torch to remove the shocked glass, and repeat as necessary. You can use a dental pick to scrape away at bigger chucks ONLY when the torch is off, don't do it while the torch is running, you will melt the dental pick and make it even worse.

If the drill bit is as deeply imbedded as you think, you may be looking at a new torch. Chances are the drill has widened or even pierced the wall of the tube, which basically destroys that tube.

Don't despair though -- I'd give Nortel a call and see what they can do for you. Call them direct: 416-438-3325 and ask for Jean Robichaud.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-01-23, 12:10pm

Okey dokey - new head on it's way. Think I'll break open the hot head to help fend off withdrawal symptoms until it arrives.

Sadie

Old 2007-01-23, 12:12pm

Thanks Mike ... I spoke with a very nice man in Toronto and had quite a chat! I wish every vendor took the time (but then they probably wouldn't sell very much)!

Old 2007-01-24, 4:35pm

I'm giving this thread some stars because we now have a name and phone numbers so that when I do something stupid I can call them !! I know I will do something dumb somewhere down the road...

Old 2007-01-24, 6:19pm

They also had a good deal Liza ... I bought a new nozzle (paid for and should be here in about 5 days) - if I send my blocked one back and they can fix it then they credit me back the new one (and presumably I return it - lol )... he didn't mention that part - or perhaps they just keep my one. Guess I'd need some clarification there.