Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2012-07-04, 2:06pm

Knight Bullet on small tanks at about 1000 feet. Boro doesn't stand a chance, fused quartz struggles for a bit, then gives up and melts.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."
Old 2012-07-04, 2:12pm
Chief Creative Goddess

So I got the tut on building the holding tank from Trey Cornette and the DH is excited (!!!) to help me build it. I hope this will help me have more oxy pressure with a CHEAP solution until I can afford another oxycon....

My Next Question is what is your oxygen to propane ratio? I have a 10 lpm oxycon and run around 1-2 lbs of propane--when it was at 4lbs, I still took a long time to melt. Lowered the gas and it seems to run hotter and faster........could be wishful thinking!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-04, 2:23pm
T.J. made me do it

I like my CC Mini on a 5lpm. I used a Minor when my torch went in for repairs and found it lacking. I'm at 5500ft. I have a second oxycon that I can run along with the one I currently use but don't find it is needed for what I do.

Old 2012-07-04, 2:26pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Hey Julie! It's me in Reno!

Old 2012-07-04, 2:28pm
Chief Creative Goddess

I now am the proud owner of a box of mixed boro tubes and rods and can't do a dang thing with it yet! Took me forever to make one silly little bead my employee called a cheerio.........since it was the size and shape of it!!

Old 2012-07-05, 4:51pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Sadie,

A holding tank will not give you any more pressure. Whatever your oxycon puts out that's what you will get, holding tank or no holding tank.

Think of it like a water hose. Water comes out as long as the valve is open. Shut the valve and the water stops almost immediately; the little afterflow is what is in the hose. Now put the hose into a big barrel and connect your hose to the bottom of the barrel. Shut the valve and water will run out for a long time until the barrel is MT. Same with a holding tank. It is nothing more than a resevoir of gas that will keep the pressure up if you suddenly need a larger flow for a short time. It will also even out any pulsations in the flow if your oxycon 'puffs' as some do.

PJ

Make sence??
Old 2012-07-05, 5:51pm
da General

Bobcat on a M15
Barracuda on a M15 and a Regalia together
Sea level

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-07-17, 11:23am

Question Just starting

Hi everyone, I'm reading all your different posts and still do not know what type of torch to start out with. Will I be satisfied for awhile with a Mini CC, or should I bite the bullet and start with a dual stage like the Bravo? Can I use the bravo with and EX15 concentrator? Patience is not my long suit but I want to do it right. Thanks for any quidance, Marge
Old 2012-07-17, 4:00pm

i'd think an ex15 would do the centerfire on the bravo just fine (it's 6 port i believe) but for the outerfire you'll need another oxycon or bottled oxy.
with dual stage torches, many people use an oxycon for center and bottled for outer.
Old 2012-07-17, 7:46pm

I'm beyond happy with my Bravo, and have used it with 1, 2 and 3 M-15 oxycons and a holding tank successfully.

With all three oxycons going I get performance that is 100% equal to tanked.

But with even one, you get pretty decent performance and can work Boro, just more slowly.

I'd suggest you contact Jack at Unlimited Oxygen and check out the M-15 vs the one you are looking at. Generally he has way better prices, and his support is awesome (however be prepared to wait a bit as he is usually running behind on orders due to demand).

I went through three other smaller torches before getting the Bravo. If I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped all that and gone straight to the Bravo. It can handle anything and at a pretty reasonable price.

If you search my posts you can find quite about of info on the torch, plus oxycons and holding tanks, as well as my studio builds.

Have fun!
Old 2012-07-19, 7:29am

Thanks! I tend to go overboard with everthing I do so I thought I would start slower with glass but what the heck, in for a dollar.....You don't think the Bravo will be too much torch for a novice just starting out with soft glass beads?
Old 2012-08-19, 3:41am
Artistically Absorbed

Bethlehem Bead Burner...an ancient torch from 2003...but I love it!
2 M-15s at about 700 ft above sea level. Seriously considering a Bravo, but what ever I get it will be Bethlehem, since my first torch has lasted so long and is still going strong!

-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64