Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-10-12, 12:25pm
isa

I would also like to know about the Cricket compared to the Minnow.
I would like to try Boro, but didn't really think that the Minnow was hot enough( it took very long to make a small bead). So My question is, is the Cricket hot enough to do Boro?
Old 2008-10-12, 3:01pm
She better not sell these

Isa,

I am assuming you have a minnow... a minnow should do better than that. Mine gets screamin' hot! Talk to one of the torch gurus and see if you can change your setup for more heat. I love the penetrating heat of my minnow, one of its really good characteristics.

Squid - Thanks for the info! You are lightning fast!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2008-10-12, 5:40pm
PyronamixK

I ran several torches on a 5 LPM Invacare concentrator and took measurements of the flames. Here are the results for the Minnow and for the Cricket:

Bethlehem Minnow
candle length: 0.25”
shoulder width: 0.600”
flame length: 10”
small pinpoint flame: carrot shaped, no thrust

GTT Cricket
candle length: 0.500”
shoulder width: 0.750”
flame length: 13”
small pinpoint flame: hot needle flame can get very tight

On 5 LPM, the Cricket was able to get a much larger flame than the Minnow, as well as a much better pinpoint flame.
Old 2008-10-13, 6:50am
isa

Thanks Kbinkster,
Now I only have to decide which colour, the black or sparkle purple.
Old 2008-10-15, 6:37pm
Bliss Junkie

i have one on the way to play with!!! yay!!! orange even!!!

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-10-17, 7:50am
boro rules all

So is the cricket better than the bobcat? or how do those compare?

national 8m on an oxygen concentrator
Old 2008-10-17, 7:54am
PyronamixK

The Bobcat is still hotter, even on a concentrator. The Cricket has a different type of flame - with a different feel to it, IMO - and can get a tighter detail flame.

ETA: Also, the Cricket was built with beginners in mind. You can run a much smaller hot flame on it without carboning it up.

ETA: I almost forgot: you can get a more oxidizing flame on a Cricket on a single 5 LPM concentrator than on a Bobcat on a single 5 LPM concentrator.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2008-10-17 at 8:04am.
Old 2008-10-17, 3:36pm
Bliss Junkie

got my cricket... i'm on tanked oxygen, so... but it can melt boro nicely...

i'm pretty impressed with this lil torch.. gonna have to save some $$ when i go to upgrade and get me a big GTT

Old 2008-10-17, 4:04pm
Disconnected

Hey Shawn, do you think you could post a pic of your orange Cricket? I would love to see what it looks like. Thank you in advance!

Old 2008-10-17, 4:19pm
susanLambert

Mine is on the way! I use a bobcat with a concentrator. What I noticed at hot time is the cricket can get a very nice pinpoint flame.
If it gets a more oxidizing flame that will be a plus too. I'll post after it's hooked up and tell how it compares.
Susan

Old 2008-10-17, 6:08pm
Bliss Junkie

first thing, ignore the mess.....

i didnt buy directly from GTT, just got it from someone over on "the melting pot" forum... said it was used all of about 20 minutes to make a pendant....

i like orange...

Old 2008-10-17, 8:20pm
Borovangelist

dang Shawn, he shipped that puppy fast!

|
|
Old 2008-10-17, 8:27pm
Bliss Junkie

no kidding, two days door to door... been raging the lil bugger since then... though i did have to switch back to the CC for a flared bottom to a project...
it's soo cute!!!!

we'll see how long til the novelty wears off....

Old 2008-10-17, 11:25pm

Can you post the difference in a betta and a cricket too Kimberly? (if you have it)

Old 2008-10-18, 9:34am
Butterfly Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
Can you post the difference in a betta and a cricket too Kimberly? (if you have it)
I used both my new Betta & Cricket enough to say that they are very similar. However there is one huge difference -- the price tag. The Betta cost $400 and the Cricket $139.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-10-18, 9:42am

I get much better colors in boro and can blow bigger tubing with the Cricket than I could the Betta. When making perfume bottles with tubing I was maxing out the Betta and with the Cricket it's so much easier and faster and I don't feel like I'm pushing the torch to the max.

Old 2008-10-18, 8:02pm

That is what I am trying to do is boro and it just takes so long with the betta. I had thought about getting me the cricket but if they are really simular then I may as well keep the betta since I already have it.

Old 2008-10-19, 8:23am
Disconnected

Wow!! I love it in orange! Thanks for posting it Shawn.

Old 2008-10-22, 11:24am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
The theory behind the Betta is that by having larger valves and porting, you could have less restriction, allowing the torch to breathe easier. But, all that stops once you hit the first internal chamber of the torch. Then you face restriction and it becomes just like the Piranha/centerfire of the larger Beths.

All sorts of bead torches were already capable of running on low pressures - including the Piranha - and some that were already out there actually outperformed the Betta on low pressure. Wally (Willy's brother) took a glass class at the Banana Factory (a studio in Bethlehem, PA) and they had Bettas set up to run off the low pressure they had. Well, they ended up pulling them off because they just could not cut it.

The hype around the Betta was, IMO, just that - hype.

But, at any rate, the stand-alone Betta is so much more expensive than the other torches, it is usually cost prohibitive for beginners starting out. The Betta's claim to fame was low pressure, anyway, not low flow. The Cricket is designed to be a low-cost torch that can run on low pressure and low flow.

If anyone would like to send me a stand-alone Betta, I would be happy to test it on the concentrators I have here. Here are the flame measurements of the Betta on tanked oxygen from Bethlehem's Betta page:

Quote:
Low pressure:
1.2 psi gas / 3.0 psi oxygen. width: 1/2 " x 10" long

Max pressure:
5.0 psi gas / 20 psi oxygen
width: 5/8 " x 12" long
They don't put the candle lengths on those measurements, but I can still compare the general size of the flame to the Cricket on concentrators:

On a 5 LPM Invacare:

shoulder width: 0.750” (3/4")

straight off concentrator, not through Y connector:

shoulder width: 0.850-0.880” (right around 7/8")

On just a single 5 LPM Invacare, the Cricket gets a wider and longer flame than Bethlehem says the Betta gets on tanked oxygen! We also know that it gets a better pinpoint flame.

Jo (DogMaw) wrote the following review on her blog comparing the Betta to the Cricket:
http://dogmawglass.blogspot.com/2008...s-a.html#links

Quote:
This is the new GTT cricket torch. I got mine in the mail on Monday, and was lucky enough to try it out on Tuesday. I had been using a Bethleham Betta until my cricket arrived.

Soft Glass: I used one 5 lpm concentrator with the cricket. It gave me the same power as the betta with two concentrators. In addition the cricket can get a lovely pinpoint flame.

Hard Glass: This is where the cricket really shines. I used two 5 lpm concentrators with the betta and the cricket. I made the same boro pendant, first on the betta, then switched to the cricket. Time to make the pendant went from 18 minutes on the betta to 8 minutes on the cricket! It was also easier to flame strike colors like double amber purple with the cricket.

Cost: The cricket is a steal at the current price of $140. The betta will run about $320. Guess which one wins on cost.

So the cricket gets an A+ from me! Just in case you were wondering, I don't have any affiliation with GTT or with Bethleham.
So, maybe it is worth getting a Cricket even if you already have a Betta.
Old 2008-10-22, 11:43am

Kimberly,

Thanks for the great comparison of the minnow, it really helped me alot.

I don't think I want one... I KNOW I have to have one, now!!!

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2008-10-24, 5:49pm
Certified Glassaholic!

I got my cricket with the regular hose fittings. If I wanted to switch them out to B-fittings would I just get regular 1/4" B-fittings?

Does anyone know?

Cheers.

Old 2008-10-24, 6:06pm

Dang....I want one How much would a good concentrator set me back? Or maybe I could just run it on a tank for a while I guess.

Did anyone buy one and NOT like it?
Old 2008-10-24, 6:11pm

I just got mine 2 days ago. I got the hot pink. I absolutely hate the color and I am thinking about selling mine. It is sitting in the box on my kitchen counter. I should have gotten the purple instead!! I am so bummed as I was so anxious to get it. Anyone interested? I can take a picture if there is any interest. My other option is to send it back I guess and get the color that I want.

Donna
Old 2008-10-24, 6:14pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I am sure you could sell it with no problem in the Garage Sale

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-24, 7:04pm

Ohh Donna sorry you dont like your pink Cricket. I got the hot pink too with pink knobs and LOVE LOVE LOVE it LOL. Call them, i would think if you dont like the color they would exchange it esp if it is still in the box unused?? Would just be the shipping??

Robyn

Here is a pix of my Cricket AKA:

PINK PANTHER LOL

Old 2008-10-24, 11:37pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Okay - I hooked up my new cricket (LOVE it!)
and I just realized that my old Minor torch mounted marver
does not fit it (aaaaaarrrggghhhh!). I've searched all over
but I can't find anything about whether there is a Torch mounted
marver available for this bad boy. Anybody know????

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-10-25, 12:08am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I am pretty sure I could make the marver that was on my minor fit my cricket, but I haven't been able to bring myself to try it yet.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-25, 12:09am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I am pretty sure I could make the marver that was on my minor fit my cricket, but I haven't been able to bring myself to try it yet.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-25, 12:24am
I'll get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Okay - I hooked up my new cricket (LOVE it!)
and I just realized that my old Minor torch mounted marver
does not fit it (aaaaaarrrggghhhh!). I've searched all over
but I can't find anything about whether there is a Torch mounted
marver available for this bad boy. Anybody know????
Could you buy a smaller size hose clamp and clamp it on? or will that damage the torch?

Last edited by HelleAlice; 2008-10-25 at 12:32am.
Old 2008-10-25, 2:00am

YIKES!!! I love my torch mounted marver! Most used tool next to the torch, kiln and oxy con!!

I will try to remember to call GTT on Monday.

#T53